Dissecting the Humax TV Portal

forgive any ignorance on my part

it would be really good if there could eventually be a front end similar to nevermisstv

I've just spent half an hour looking for this and can't find anything other than the video clips showing something in action. The only thing I could find (which is probably what ChrisD has found already) is a mention on the hbbtv.org website with an email address at the end to contact for more details projekt-she AT gmx.de. I went to gmx.de but it ended up on what looked like a search engine site and the trail went cold. I even used googles translate feature to look at and search through german websites but still couldn't find anything. So I've just emailed this address to see where the trail leads me.....

Just to update in case you were wondering Chris I've not had a reply as yet. I fear the trail may have gone cold?...

Yeah, i emailed them before you, and i've not heard anything either.

I'm writing the code manually anyway and plan to release it as a working project that we can all get involved in and add to.

The basics are easy, getting navigation and such to work with the remote is the hard part.

One thing I wish Humax had done with the YouTube app in the standard portal offering was to implement YouTube leanback, which is supposedly designed for TV style viewing, and has a 'remote control's app available on Android market, presumably there's and equivalent app available for the iPhone too. Could this be achievable here?

Dont know is the honest answer.
Maybe you could try it out when I've released the custom portal.
Im going to build in a couple of test "apps" that will point to dummy HTML files that you can play about with to test & build new pages. You will be able to edit all of the pages if you so wish, but if you have other family that also use the box and the normal portal, this will be the safest way.

If someone can code it to, then yes. I can't just link it to the website and expect it to work.
There is probably a version of these in use over on XBMC, so if they can do it, we can.

Dont expect miracles with this first launch. I'm only putting in the groundwork so that everyone else can help code pages/apps up easier.
It will feature a "Community Portal" - built BY the community, FOR the community :).

If you are already a dab hand with HTML & Javascript, there is nothing stopping you putting a demo together now by ripping www.humaxtvportal.com and seeing how it works.

And if you do get something together, send it to me for inclusion in the release ;).

have you seen the custom apps peole have built as part of the boxee projects?

I have zero coding skills unfortunately..
I was wondering if the boxee apps could be made to work, this fella http://www.greatboxee.com/ seems to have good info on making apps on his page.. may be relevant or may be useless.

Yeah Boxee is a fork of XBMC. I've used both in the past.
Their "apps" are built in Python, which I believe from memory, is available to us.
But thats for someone else to figure out & build.

www.humaxtvportal.com

Now reports "Humax STB Only!" when connected to using any web browser other than the Hummy.

That is what I thought it would/should do when I started looking into this, seems they cottoned on to our research. --LOL--

You may be right or it may be paranoia - hard to tell. I have been worried for some time that they might take measures (we had better keep a close eye on any new firmware releases).

www.humaxtvportal.com

Now reports "Humax STB Only!" when connected to using any web browser other than the Hummy.

That is what I thought it would/should do when I started looking into this, seems they cottoned on to our research. --LOL--
The SSL site has always done that. The plain HTTP one did work.. It isn't hard to pretend to be a STB but you need to also use the right client certificate.

As the Sky Player seems to have been switched off for some reason, i decided to go back to the portal website, and have a look around to see if there was a new version of the sky player/skygo app on there. Unfortunantly I have not as yet been able to find one, however there are loads of other apps on there - most of them are games or other minor apps, but I guess they could be added onto the custom portal.

As noted above www.humaxtvportal.com just brings up a settop box only screen, however if you goto test.humaxtvportal.com it brings you into a different tvportal screen, which interestingly has been updated for the ANGA 2012 show. These apps seem to link in the same way we access other apps by redirecting to test.humaxtvportal.com/home/goapplication/xx

The last one we found (see 1st post in this thread) as 19, it now seems to go atleast as high as 44, if not more.

If somebody has time and wants to sit there changing these numbers about to try and find a new sky player etc or even more apps, please feel free to do so.

+/- update the custom portal to link to these?

Hi James - I've just bought an HDR-Fox-T2 and thanks to all the hints/tips here had got sky player etc all running nicely - until the other day. I've spent ages trying to work out why it's stopped, but looking at your post, am I to understand it's been turned off by Humax now ?

Thanks, Nik

More likely Sky has changed something at their end so that the portal Humax were experimenting with (and which the custom portal taps into) no longer works. Everything in the standard TV Portal is mediated via Humax servers.

I would hope that at some point we will see a return of the sky player app or something similar, and it would seem that Humax are intending on continuing to in Germany and other places - The test.humaxtvportal.com page seems to be a reflection of what they seem to be advertising as being avalibe on these new boxes.

For note Humax also make boxes for Sky in German, so one would hope that they are working on a catchup system for those as well - although SKY have their own one in the uk on thier own boxes which interestingly have never been hacked as far as I can tell.....

Interesting new apps there.
Ones i can tell straight away that are for the UK market are Daily Express, Metro and Absoloute Radio. The rest could be for international markets.

I think these apps will only be appearing on the upcoming YouView box however.
We could deffo add these to the Xtra Portal.

A funny one is the hearing test, which although good in its intentions, is aimed at the elderly. Now, can you see an elderly person using an app?
And if you say "No" to the first question, it tells you to go to the hospital asap haha

Back