[dlna-filter] Filter out DLNA traffic to prevent crashes.

By default on installing dlna-filer the humax server becomes invisible unless you specify the ip address of a least one other server in settings
That's the whole point of it... to stop incoming traffic crashing the Humax server.
It seemed to me that instead of needing to find server addresses it would be more user friendly to have a seting that effectively says don't filter out the humax.
It's incoming client addresses that you are filtering. If you want to black-list one or more clients, just put their IP addresses in the config., then everything apart from them is allowed but they are not. I do think it would be useful to have white-list functionality as an alternative to black-list though (so everything apart from the ones you specify would be blocked).
If you want to play with iptables manually, then you can do stuff like iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp --dport 50001 -s ip.ad.dr.ess -j ACCEPT to add white-list items without rebooting. These are NOT persistent.
iptables -L INPUT gives you a list of what's happening - order is important!

You can find out what's incoming by installing tcpdump and then running it with tcpdump tcp dst port 50001 and see what you get. Then you stand a chance of working out the incomer that causes crashes.

If the client you want to connect from causes the server to crash, then you are just plain out of luck.

Last edited:
BH wrote:
It seems that the crashes are induced by the DLNA service discovery transactions from some servers. ...

What I assumed too. But I read that the service discovery function (this would be the spec from the era of the Humax implementation: https://openconnectivity.org/upnp-specs/UPnP-arch-DeviceArchitecture-v1.1.pdf) is a basic UPnP function using SSDP on port 1900. So there must be some DLNA thing on top of that that is being blocked on 50001, and plainly doing that also blocks player connections.

Back