[dlna-filter] Filter out DLNA traffic to prevent crashes.

What would be the difference between items on the White list and items on neither, with respect to the dlna_filter processing?

I think prpr means the option to invert the meaning of the list - ie to permit DLNA interaction with a small number of known good devices rather than block interaction with a small number of known bad devices.

Will this just filter out DLNA traffic, or all network traffic from a specific ip? The reason I ask is I've just spent all evening trying to mount an nfs share from my NAS (Zyxel NSA310) - and not been able to get anywhere... and it just dawned on me it's probably because I've add a rule to ip tables (?) at some point (using a command from a forum entry here that I now can't remember) that basically blinded the HDR to the NAS, because of the Twonky 7 crashing issue.
In other words, if I reverse that table change (and if anyone could suggest how to do such a thing I would be grateful!), and install this package, will that achieve the end of 1. preventing the Twonky crash, and 2. leaving the nfs share hosted by the NAS visible to the HDR? Thanks!

Just DLNA traffic - from all IPs by default or from specific ones if configured.
To reverse the previous change, find the file you created on the filesystem under /mod/etc/init.d/ - hopefully with a logical name.
I'd install this package first to prevent any crashes (assuming the NAS is on).

Will this just filter out DLNA traffic, or all network traffic from a specific ip? The reason I ask is I've just spent all evening trying to mount an nfs share from my NAS (Zyxel NSA310) - and not been able to get anywhere... and it just dawned on me it's probably because I've add a rule to ip tables (?) at some point (using a command from a forum entry here that I now can't remember) that basically blinded the HDR to the NAS, because of the Twonky 7 crashing issue.
In other words, if I reverse that table change (and if anyone could suggest how to do such a thing I would be grateful!), and install this package, will that achieve the end of 1. preventing the Twonky crash, and 2. leaving the nfs share hosted by the NAS visible to the HDR? Thanks!
Are you using network-shares-automount?

I'm attempting to - but you will see from my sudden burst of posting in that thread as well, that I'm getting nowhere very slowly... :)

S00swapper S02anacron S30posttvcrash S90netshares

S01cifs S02dlna-filter S40ir S99auto-unprotect

S01crond S02portmap S60parseepg Z01mongoose

S01lighttpd S22nasroute S89betaftpd Z99smartd

any guesses?

Scratch that, I've knocked out S22nasroute, (route add -host 192.168.1.67 reject) - I'm guessing that's the right one - that is the ip of the offending nas.

And that appears to have done it - two visible nfs shares, and, well, we'll see if Twonky crashes things - but in the meantime I'm happy to trust you! I shall now stop clogging up forums!

Having got a new NAS with Twonky 7, I've installed this package. The effect isn't what I was expecting:
  • The Humax can still see the NAS over DLNA, and play files from it
  • Nothing on the network can see the Humax DLNA server, even though I have turned on Content Sharing
Actually, this is ideal for me, but just surprising. I'd assumed that all DLNA traffic, in both directions, was blocked?

* Edit: DLNA / DNLA

Last edited:
It can't be installed or configured properly. Your Humax should no longer be able to access the NAS's DLNA server*.

* Wrong - see post 34

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I assumed. But it definitely isn't the case; I have checked again this morning and the Humax can see the NAS fine. I wonder if it is significant, that I have changed the IP address of both the NAS and the Humax since installing dlna-filter? I have left the IP list in dlna-filter's setup empty.

As mentioned in my previous post, I actually now have exactly the behaviour I want - the Humax doesn't crash even with Content Share on, and I can still play files from the NAS. It would be very inconvenient for me to lose that ability. So I'm reluctant to fiddle with anything in case it starts working "properly" again!

It's working as it should. Only inbound access to the Humax DLNA server is blocked.

I have left the IP list in dlna-filter's setup empty.
Aha, that's the point that was missing. If you specify the NAS IP address in the list, the invisibility of the Humax DLNA server will only apply to the NAS and not everything else on the network. I don't see why this would break your current setup.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the clarification everyone. And of course, thanks again to af123 and rowanmoor for their work in developing this package.

It's working as it should. Only inbound access to the Humax DLNA server is blocked.
Can you clarify this a little more.
I have DLNA_filter installed and the settings set to exclude one IP I address (though, as yet, there is actually nothing on that address!!!).
I can still see the Hummy DLNA server on the network and I am able to access and play the videos.
Does your statement above suggest that I should not be able to see the Hummy?

No, I was correcting an earlier assertion that installing the package would prevent the Humax from being able to access DLNA servers on the network. If you have configured just one IP address, then it will only block inbound DLNA access from that IP address.

OK, chat in the other topic has clarified things, and as it does not seem to be fully explained here I will elucidate:

It seems that the crashes are induced by the DLNA service discovery transactions from some servers. dlna-filter has to block these transactions, and if the filter list is left empty it blocks all of them not just those from specific IP addresses. However, blocking all of them also means blocking service discovery from clients on the network, so these will no longer be able to access the HDR-FOX for DLNA streaming.

dlna-filter does not block outgoing service discovery transactions, so there should be no problem using the HDR-FOX client to stream from external DLNA servers.

Back