Closed Poll Do you use the customised firmware?

Do you use the Customised Firmware for the Humax?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am using it on a HD-FOX T2, and 3off HDR-FOX T2's, but was not using it at all at the time of the previous poll.

I installed it the same day as I bought my HDR in November 2011

The 2 main features I could not do without are Webif and Network-Shares-Automount

I didn't really record when I installed the Custom Firmware on my HDR for the first time, but the oldest folder I can find under /mod is dated 13 April 2011 (HDR purchased on 24 JAN 2011). Favourites apart from the obvious Web-If / RS Scheduler advanced keyword search, probably Undelete and Redring - worth it for the redring log alone

Been using it for about a year now. Favourites:
- webif
- auto-unprotect
- remote scheduler
- wifi remote controller

Great work, thanks for making a good box great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yesterday's poll wasn't set up properly so this is a new one - the posts from yesterday have been moved across. Please can you vote again?

Thanks!

Yesterday's poll wasn't set up properly so this is a new one - the posts from yesterday have been moved across. Please can you vote again?

Thanks!

(Thanks Brian for sorting out the posts and threads).

af123, I have added a Poll prefix, and made this thread sticky so that it gets maximum visibility. Please let me know when you feel that it has run it's course, and I will un-stick it for you.

I have been using it a couple of weeks now to 'solve a problem' . I have 400Gb of content on the Freeview box which has not been played yet. I want to watch some of the recordings in my holiday flat and don't want to keep dragging a second Hummy box too and fro in hand luggage. I discovered early on that the Hummy file format on the FOX-T2 drive is scrambled (unlike the Foxsat) . My solution is to archive the content (slowly as a background task) to virtual drive space on the internal 1Tb drive. Then using an external SATA loop I added through the Hummy conditional access slot, I port the virtual drive content to an external 1Tb USB/SATA SATA drive in a caddy using the pc and the Ext2 Linux file utilities (those are great!). Then I play that through a cheap O!Play HDP-R1 media player (which reads EXT3!) to my second HDMI TV. To update content I only need to carry the portable drive. I guess this is what most are doing, but I am just starting with a lot more to learn!

My only problem is my wife now complains about the 4 icons that come up on the screen everytime she starts up the hummy. Not looked in the browser menu yet to see if that can be stopped.

Great firmware mod!

It is not clear which 4 icon you are referring to. If you have virtual-drive2 installed then the 4 icons are probably the ones you would see when a USB HDD is plugged into the Humax after power-up. If you don't want the 4 'USB' icons displayed you can uninstall the Virtual-drive2 package and use a different way of decrypting the files you want to get onto a USB HDD, have a look at the decrypt options in the flow chart HERE, you need to get the 'DEC' symbol against the files before copying onto the USB HDD, there are ways to automatically decrypt all file in a folder, details HERE

Yes you are right. The function icons are the same as those appearing when an external usb flash is plugged in, but with virtual drive2 installed isn't the box just saying the virtual folder created on the HDD is the same as plugging in a USB stick? The decrypt option is as I want it - to decrypt to the virtual folder (as my large external USB drive is not around and connected). I prefer to keep virtual drive 2 active all the time and add to the folder now and then. It would just be nice to hide the pop up at power on and not wait for it to time out or cancel it from the remote with the back button.

The Virtual-disk2 package fools the Humax into thinking that it is a USB HDD because some other processes won't work unless it sees one, the problem is that it is only enabled after power-up, unlike a real USB HDD that is permanently connected it will always be 'plugged-in' after power-up you you can't stop the 4 icon display. You don't need to use the virtual-disk2 package to decrypt, auto-decrypt will work without it

Auto decrypt is installed. I checked the hummy HDD and content recorded before and after the package install are still encrypted and not playable from the HDD on a PC using VLC (no PAT, streams etc). Only the content 'moved' on to the virtual drive by the box itself is in the clear. If you are all moving content via ftp on the Ethernet port then I can understand how the box can be decrypting realtime. But the box has to do it with its unlock keys. If auto_decrypt was decrypting previously recorded content and saving back to the hummy HDD, then the box would have to work very hard, so I assume it is only changing flags or controls in the media support files and not the .ts file itself. I cannot get 75Mb/s transfer speeds from the Ethernet port, but I can SATA to SATA when I move the virtual_drive content. It looks like I am stuck with the 4icon display at startup, but that is bearable for the other benefits the package gives.

Thanks for your help.

Is this poll in the right place? I would think that only people who are using the CF, or are very interested in using it, would be reading this forum. Perhaps a more representative result might be obtained if the poll were in the 'unmodified' HD and HDR forums?

Just a thought . .

Been using the CF for a few weeks and very impressed - well done and thanks to all those who have contributed.

Auto decrypt is installed. . . .

You don't need virtual disk2 ! ! ! all you need to do is wait 10 Mins. If you do a copy using the Remote control OPT+ option the copy / decrypt will happen straight away, if use Web-If 'decrypt' on a file that has the DLNA symbol DLNA-small.jpg it will also decrypt-in-place straight away, if you use Web-If 'auto-decrypt' on a folder, it will start to decrypt 10 Mins. after it gets the DLNA icon. You can check on 'auto-decrypt' progress by looking at the Web-If >> Diagnostics >> auto.log

then the box would have to work very hard

Encryption/decryption is performed by special purpose hardware, so it is only a case of arranging that the data is read from disk (probably by DMA - ie another special purpose hardware block) and written back to disk via the decryption block. Easy. The video and audio codecs are also handled in hardware.

If you want all your content decrypted as a matter of course, all you need is the auto-unprotect package (which takes care of the protection flags on HiDef recordings), Content Share = On, and then either the unencrypt package or (new feature) to set the recursive auto-decrypt flag on My Video from the WebIF.

I can't understand why you thought you need virtual-disk2 for this, it has other applications of course but any need you might have had to use it for decryption pre-dates it (virtual-disk is adequate for decryption on an HD-FOX, in combination with BootHDR).

The flowchart in the Wiki gives the various routes to decryption, and I have written a guide HERE (click).

Back