Does "big screen" iPlayer shutting down affect us?

Owen Smith

According to this article:

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/08/bbc-to-retire-bigscreen-iplayer-as-new.html#more

the "big screen" iPlayer is to close completely, since it is only used by 0.1% of iPlayer users. I'm on 1.03.12 now, but the picture in the article above looks very much like the 1.02.xx iPlayer on my HDR Fox T2 (which I much preferred to the iPlayer on 1.03.xx)

If this is the 1.02.xx iPlayer, them the HD Fox T2 is about to lose all iPlayer access (unless that makes Humax pull their finger out and release 1.03.12 for HD Fox T2). And it would also affect the many people that choose to run 1.02.xx on HDRs for various reasons (audio description, faster EPG, no forced retune etc.)

So does anyone know for sure whether this is or is not the iPlayer version used by 1.02.xx?

On the BBC website, the HD-FOX T2 is listed as a 'BBC iplayer certified device'. The HDR-FOX T2 is not listed. Presumably this is an oversight.

And no iPlayer at all on the HD Fox T2.
It's not ideal, but if you install the Boot-HDR custom firmware package using the 1.03.12 HDR-FOX update file as the source you will be able to access iPlayer (V3) on the HD-FOX. Of course, in this mode, the front panel display does not work and the ability to record programmes is lost. The download feature does work though.

I posted about this issue and the HD-FOX over on myhumax.org but have had no answer yet. I have asked over there a couple of times in the past about a 1.03.xx update for the HD-FOX but have not received an answer. So unless the the impending loss of iPlayer makes Humax decide to issue an update, I don't think we are going to get one:(

It's not ideal, but if you install the Boot-HDR custom firmware package using the 1.03.12 HDR-FOX update file as the source you will be able to access iPlayer (V3) on the HD-FOX.

Hi. How to I change the source file to 1.03.12 please? My Boot HDR currently emulates 1.02.20. Grateful if you could give me a step by step answer; i.e. suitable for the technically challenged!

Thanks.

My HD-Fox is running CF 3.00 on Humax 1.02.31

1. Download standard 1.03.12 firmware for the HDR-FOX from here.
  2. On the HD-FOX, in Web-If>Package Management, uninstall the Boot-HDR package.
  3. In Web-If>Browse Media Files open the 'mod' folder and delete the 'HDRfs' folder.
  4. Copy the firmware file (HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf) into the 'mod' folder and temporarily rename (e.g. to DR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf). Then rename the file 'hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf'. The HDF tool which uses the update file during the Boot-HDR installation is case sensitive!
  5. In Web-If>Package Management, install the Boot-HDR package. The installation may appear to hang, but eventually a dialogue box will appear. Click OK and you are done.

1. Download standard 1.03.12 firmware for the HDR-FOX from here.
  2. On the HD-FOX, in Web-If>Package Management, uninstall the Boot-HDR package.
  3. In Web-If>Browse Media Files open the 'mod' folder and delete the 'HDRfs' folder.
  4. Copy the firmware file (HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf) into the 'mod' folder and temporarily rename (e.g. to DR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf). Then rename the file 'hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf'. The HDF tool which uses the update file during the Boot-HDR installation is case sensitive!
  5. In Web-If>Package Management, install the Boot-HDR package. The installation may appear to hang, but eventually a dialogue box will appear. Click OK and you are done.

Brilliant.

Thank you very much.

I posted about this issue and the HD-FOX over on myhumax.org but have had no answer yet. I have asked over there a couple of times in the past about a 1.03.xx update for the HD-FOX but have not received an answer. So unless the the impending loss of iPlayer makes Humax decide to issue an update, I don't think we are going to get one:(

Thanks for trying. My parents have an HD Fox T2 as a remote box in a bedroom, and I don't want to lose iPlayer on it. Humax are about as much use as a chocolate teapot for software updates these days (see 2000T aerial loopthrough for more evidence).

I've boxed up my HD-Fox and located in the main just in one place with the HDR-Fox T2. I did note that when it was running in Boot-HDR mode there was no sign of the BBC Sport app, is there a good reason for that ?. I never asked since I knew my days of house clearance at the parents house were coming to an end but Boot-HDR was very good during the period - so thanks MontysEvilTwin for pointing me in this direction plus those that developed it, it was a good fix for the lack of the radio on the iPlayer V2 when they BBC pulled the support. Custom software tricks were also good to move ones viewing between locations via memory stick.

This brings us back to that other point that irritates me that the BBC has a short time on supporting hardware as they junks a software release of the iPlayer software and Humax choose not to update the software. Both presume to shrug their shoulders and say not me gov being happy to blame each other and not do anything. Humax hoping to sell more up to date equipment and the BBC playing along with this. Obviously every time a box manufacture sends negative messages about their equipment you think twice about buying from the same again.

If you want ongoing support for iPlayer radio get a second hand Logitech Squeezebox of some sort and install the BBC iPlayer plugin maintained by the excellent developer Triode. You will need a PC or something to run the Logitech Media Server on, I use a small Windows Home Server v1 box for this. But it can be hidden in a back room or study, mine runs headless.

For a more technical solution try the get_iplayer software which downloads iPlayer content to a PC or similar but unlike iPlayer Downloads it doesn't apply any DRM. The files it creates can be played on the HDR Fox T2 either for TV or radio downloads.

I do use get_iplayer myself but in the morning prefer the no sweat of not having to turn on a PC or similar. Get iplayer allows you complete access to all regions and local radio stations which is an added plus. If we talk about Get iPlayer long enough DinkyPumkin or words that that effect will magic up (the genuine support guy) and offer advice as he did on a recent thread which was very useful on renaming the M4a's to MP3 for onward network play on the Humax. I still uses his "Bells on Sunday" as the de-rigour test for Get iPlayer since it's short enough for quick tests.... When you're on your holiday abroad you just have to switch on your netbook to get what you want to listen to back home. The partner just does a series record all radio plays and then deletes what they don't want rather than picking and choosing what to record.

I'm still using Serviio for FLAC and some Online content which you can programme podcasts in, although it can be temperamental with "long podcasts". SoundCloud can be used to access some podcasts. Still a bit of a long term experiment since I haven't had time to investigate much. Serviio sometimes crashes out.

Indeed I only use get_iplayer for specific requirements. That's what I like about the SqueezeBox and iPlayer plugin, it's as convenient or possibly more so than iPlayer on the Humax since you don't have to turn the TV on. It behaves more like an item of hifi equipment.

I e-mailed Humax Customer Support to see if they are going to update the HD-FOX software to fix the impending loss of iPlayer. I got an e-mail back with a link to version 1.02.07 software for the HDR-FOX on the beta-website! They expressed the hope that this would solve my problem! I will reply to them but it is not looking promising...

As I can't seem to find any info on the subject, does this mean that I will loose BBC iPlayer from my Foxsat HDR and does that also bode ill for the ITV Player on it as well?

As I can't seem to find any info on the subject, does this mean that I will loose BBC iPlayer from my Foxsat HDR and does that also bode ill for the ITV Player on it as well?

The original BBC article says the very similar looking iPlayer on non Freetime Freesat boxes is not affected and will still be available.

I e-mailed Humax Customer Support to see if they are going to update the HD-FOX software to fix the impending loss of iPlayer. I got an e-mail back with a link to version 1.02.07 software for the HDR-FOX on the beta-website! They expressed the hope that this would solve my problem! I will reply to them but it is not looking promising...

Hopeless, Humax support are utterly hopeless.

Back