Does HDR Fox T2 have commercial skip?

Ok, I see that, but maybe a change of title thread then? Oh forget it! I'm not sure I really care. :hungry:

As far as the epg problem goes, neither do I. I know what my epg shows, so I won't be posting again on this point.

I am thinking of upgrading from my 9200 to a Fox HDR, but would be reluctant to lose ... the ability with one button push to jump forward either 15 or 30 seconds, or jump back 7 seconds ... Does one have to rely on the FF buttons to zap through ads, which means you have to watch carefully to see when the programming starts again?

On topic :) ... and in answer to the OP's Q ... AND backing up Black Hole's answer:

Q. "Does HDR FOX T2 have commercial skip?"

A. Yes. ... Sort of.

The default setting for 'jump forward' is 120 seconds and (most of the time) two presses of the jump forward button delivers you neatly to the end of the adverts, usually to the channel ident or the 'This prog is sponsored by' clip leading into the next part. (Discovering this saved a lot of strife in this household :rolleyes: )

(Caveat ... does not work with all commercial channels, partic those that sometimes have brief channel self-promotion breaks and not actual paid-for selling ads between programme segments ... e.g. ITV2, Food Network)

You can always jump back if you overshoot. I suppose that you tend to get used to the duration of the adverts in the programmes that you regularly watch, so I don't see this as a problem myself.

Agreed, I find 2 presses of jump forward either hits the sponser clip, or sometimes the opening words of the next scene - which I then always go back to find I missed at most 1 second.

I've found another use for skip - getting past the lottery section in The Gadget Show!

I'm guessing the 'skip' includes the 10 Minutes taken up by showing 217 individual videos of items that the single person, (who isn't you) is going to win for correctly completing the phrase 'The Gadget . . . A) Show, B) Shower, C) Shoe

Thanks to all the contributors above who have given me a very good overview of the HDR Fox T2. It seems the main features lost compared to the 9200 are picture in picture, which won't be a great loss, (only use it very rarely during major football tournaments) and the fifteen second forward skip ("Corner mode") which I guess I can also live with. All the other differences seem to be just changes in style rather than substance, and on the other hand you get the considerable improvement in picture quality. Also, and this may seem a little sexist, (but I am sure many contributors here will understand my point) - it seems that the overall look and feel of the thing isn't that far removed from the 9200, so my wife who is somewhat less gadget savvy than me shouldn't feel too alienated. She's quite comfortable operating the 9200, after initial opposition, and enjoys the massive freedom the whole PVR concept gives to TV viewing. I've mentioned upgrading to the Fox to her, and emphasised how much better the picture quality would be. Her response demonstrated typical feminine wisdom - she thought the picture quality we have now was quite good enough, and offered the view that never mind picture quality, Humax would be better served coming up with a model that provided better programme quality!

I think the missus will get over it, and I foresee a little Christmas present to myself in the offing. I said she might enjoy seeing the detailing on, say, the costumes on "Strictly" - she said maybe, but she wouldn't appreciate seeing the crevasses and potholes on Brucie's face. Hey , she can always watch it in SD if she prefers, - I'll get the football golf and other sports in HD, so it should be OK.

Thanks again all for the insights.

Rick J

Once she sees Strictly in HiDef (you do have an HD-ready TV?) she won't want to go back.

In case it's not been mentioned above, besides the skip buttons (configurable) there are the le and right cursor buttons which also jump small increments. As far as I have been able to deduce the increment is proportional to the overall length of the recording.

Back