Dreadful problems with remote - anyone seeing this?

Ineluki

Our T2 started selectively ignoring the remote. It comes and goes..

When it does work, it often shows the symptoms of poor debouncing; the command seem to be interpreted twice (e.g. you select "upper folder" and press OK, and it leaves the folder and immediately comes back in).

Did all the obvious things; changed batteries, got a cheap alternative from eBay, tried a Universal.

It seems that the problem is with the box itself. Sometimes, it freezes up completely and we have to power-cycle it.

Are we heading for a factory reset?

Are we heading for a factory reset?
There's very little to worry about a factory reset, especially if you plan to retune anyway.

However, it sounds to me like your problems are more likely to be with the front panel module.

I'm not clear on this: will a factory reset delete my recordings, or just set the box back to defaults?
The Factory reset screen has a format Y / N option, as long as you select No the hard disk won't be formatted and your recording will be safe
How big a problem is that? Is it a simple/cheap fix?
Humax sell parts on this number :- Humax customer service 08446698800, but if I remember correctly the front panel is about £30

I'm not clear on this: will a factory reset delete my recordings, or just set the box back to defaults?
Refer to Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click), first paragraph:
The standard Humax firmware includes two get-you-working tools: Restore Factory Defaults (Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default), and Format Disk (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Format Storage). Restore Factory Defaults can cure some difficulties where operational parameters have become corrupted but is unlikely to solve disk issues - it is however a relatively benign process and will only entail restoring your tuning, menu preferences, and your recording schedule afterwards, existing recordings will be unaffected. The factory default process offers the option to format the disk - decline this unless you really do want to reformat the disk and start with a clean slate (deleting any recordings you have in the process).

Last edited:
I've just started experiencing this problem this afternoon.

I'm very reluctant to think it's a problem with the front panel module though, as the error only seems to occur within menus. Once I'm playing a recording, the box is as immediately responsive as it always has been; equally it turned on with no trouble and seems to respond to any and all other commands. Need to continue testing but so far it's just navigating through menus that it throws a strop. Really, really frustrating.

I've got the same problem as well. It started on Wednesday after the box did an automatic re-tune for channel changes.

The Factory reset screen has a format Y / N option, as long as you select No the hard disk won't be formatted and your recording will be safe

Humax sell parts on this number :- Humax customer service 08446698800, but if I remember correctly the front panel is about £30

Now 0344 318 8800 - national rate for most callers.

Humax support say it's £22 plus a couple of quid for shipping. How big a job is it to change a panel?

Last edited:
Somebody wrote it up on here (or maybe the wiki). Try a forum search, or google "site:hummy.tv/forum front panel".

It was me: see here. They charged me £29.48 including delivery. Make it clear that it is the front panel board you want. You can also buy a replacement plastic front panel but this comes without the board. It is not difficult to change the board but some of the connectors may be a bit stiff. A lot of people remove the orange display filter: instructions on the wiki here. This procedure includes the steps needed to remove and replace the board. I think there is also a video guide on YouTube. One more thing, the board does not come with the foam block that is sandwiched between it and the chassis of the main unit. You can peel off the block from the old board and stick it on the new one.

It's easy to change the panel. After taking the lid off, it is secured with a few screws. You have to disconnect a few connectors, one secured with a screw. Access is easy. There is precious little inside the box!

I did a factory reset this morning and it appears to have solved the problem for me.

I may have to suck it up and do a reset.

The prospect of setting everything up again does *not* thrill me, I must say. Hey-ho.

I've got the same problem as well. It started on Wednesday after the box did an automatic re-tune for channel changes.
I'm pretty sure it's something to do with this. My main box started behaving soon after my post at the weekend, and has been fine until this afternoon when it's kicked up a fuss again. And when I went to set the channel for my second remote to test that, I discovered my other box is suddenly behaving in exactly the same way.

Infuriating.

No, indeed not. But that's the only thing that's changed, the only thing linking our problems?

I've just performed a (non-formatting) factory reset on my second box, and the problem remains.

Does anyone know how reliable the software remote Web-IF ir package is? I've just installed it on my first box and it's not doing anything at all. Don't know if that's any indication.

There can be problems getting ir to work, but it has never been pinned down. Bear in mind that all it does is stuff codes into the Humax firmware as if they had come from the IR input.

It is clear that allowing a network-induced auto-retune can have undesirable consequences. Personally I always do manual retunes. Bear in mind also that some of the new channels are IPTV carriers incompatible with the HDR-FOX, and that even services which have no bad effect on some peoples HDRs have been reported to crash other's (eg RT).

To try to restore "normal" service, I suggest the following interventions: power off at the mains and reboot from cold; restore factory defaults; full system flush (USB download HERE - click). A retune will be required, do it manually according to instructions HERE (click).

See the following for details of preventing DSOs (our term for network-induced auto-retunes): Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click)

Last edited:
@Aaron-B

Don't forget for the IR package to work successfully, it has to use the same MODE that your current physical remote control unit is set to.

Back