DTR T1010 Fan question.

borisd0

Hi, I'm investigating a reluctance to start and occasional freezes of the DTR T1010.

Can anyone tell me if the fan should run continuously or is it thermostat controlled?

Thanks for the response, a substantial amount of information there.
I think overheating is the problem, since having extracted the unit for investigation, with the cover removed it is reliable, put the cover on, it fails. Close inspection of the fan next.

The investigation continues, no electronics engineer you understand!
The fan has been sidelined as it appears from the internal ducting that it is designed mainly to keep the HDD cool.

The problem seems to be related to the temperature of the processor or MB
Cover on the heat sink reads 76°c and the unit with not start. Cover off, temp 70°c and all ok.
Are these normal temps. for the processor? Has anyone ever fitted a better heat sink?
MB replacement 220uf electrolytics on standby if thought to be helpful.

The way forward for me in cost order.
  1. Cut a hole in the lid top and fit a grill. Cost £4.
  2. Fit a 12v fan in the lid above the processor. A 12v fan apparently will run slowly on a 5v supply, not my idea, read on this forum. Cost £10
  3. Sledge hammer solution, purchase FPT T5000. Cost £200.
Much missed remote record function, now sadly discontinued, no more Youview for me.

But whichever way you go, please don't chose the first part of option 3. Put it on offer here. Someone will take it off your hands.
Apart from that you will be mightily disappointed in the T5000.

Thanks for the continuing responses.

Why has the factory heat sink been fine up to now?
Has the thermal paste failed or as someone suggested, a high resistance joint has developed on the pins to the processor?
I'm unlikely to find it and therefore not likely to remove MB.

I've added a fourth option.

• 2a Remove heat sink and fit a more efficient heatsink, attach with thermal adhesive pad. Cost £12

Down side, may destroy processor in attempting to remove old heatsink.

Any sucessful techniques out there?

Trev.
If my DTR 1010T is a write off, what should I consider? I would like to be able to programme recordings remotely. the said box used to do that even when in standby.

Much missed remote record function, now sadly discontinued
I would like to be able to programme recordings remotely. the said box used to do that even when in standby.
A second-hand HDR-FOX plus custom firmware as per this forum, and the Remote Scheduling web service. The only wrinkle is the need for the box to wake up occasionally* and pull down any new instructions from the web service.

Last edited:
The only wrinkle is the need for the box to wake up occasionally* and pull down any new instructions from the web service.
* I leave mine on 24/7, so that's not an issue for me (but occasional crashes can still result in missed recordings).

Now starting the learning curve re Fox HDRT
First lesson: naming of parts. It's a "HDR-FOX T2" (but the "T2" can be omitted without causing any confusion). Leaving anything else out can result in confusion with other Humax units. Nonetheless, it can be fruitful to search eBay for mistitled listings (if the seller has misnamed an item through a spelling mistake or ignorance, fewer potential buyers will find it).

There isn't a lot else to know: the HDR-FOX is a twin-tuner DVB-T/DVB-T2 PVR capable of two simultaneous recordings plus live viewing of a third programme (with restrictions). Many early problems were ironed out by official firmware updates, but the main things to be aware of are here: Things Every... (click)

Custom firmware provides vastly increased management options via a browser interface: Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

The CF section of the forum provides the nitty-gritty, with the wiki (click) providing summary info and "user guide" type stuff (where available).

When buying second-hand (which is the only option these days), you need to be able to inspect on arrival: Commissioning, Disassembling, and Repairing an HDR-FOX (click).

2a Remove heat sink and fit a more efficient heatsink, attach with thermal adhesive pad. Cost £12 Down side, may destroy processor in attempting to remove old heatsink.
I would not try to remove the original heat sink, that is very likely to cause damage, if this heat sink is hot then the thermal path between it and the component underneath it must be OK, it is much safer to add to the original heat sync with more metalwork as shown in the picture (post #5), I would personally go for thinner metal with a larger surface area

A result.
Failed to move original heat sink DRT T1010 heat sink, I feared that I would damage the processor or MB. I was kindly sent a fabricated heatsink but it required the removal of the original one.
New additional hear sink stuck on top of the old one.
40mm 5v volt fan attached to new heatsink, 5v supply taken from USB socket.
100mm hole cut in the top and covered with a grill.
Fan disconnected at present as it would appear to run in stand by which is undesirable.
Box works fine now at 60°c with fan standing by!
HDR FoxT2 purchased as future replacement but will be sold on as I did not know there are no catch services on this box.
This is important to me as the 10 year old Pioneer TV & my HDR Foxsat are also lacking catch up.
I have recently learnt the the HDR Foxsat can be programmed with Remote Scheduling so that is the next project. I have 3 HDR Foxsat all with CFW and touch wood none have failed in many years,- I think they are fine STBs.
Thanks to all for the help from the forum.

Back