Easy FTP setup

Please could someone tell me the most efficient and accurate way to transfer mp4 files from my laptop pc to my hdr fox t2 'video' folder and what applications I would need to install from the modified firmware?
Because the hdr fox t2 only has 2 tuners I often find that is not enough, so i record tv programmes using my media centre on the laptop pc, convert them to mp4 and then transfer them to the hdr fox t2. Ideally I would like to schedule the transfers.

thanks Geoff

Please could someone tell me the most efficient and accurate way to transfer mp4 files from my laptop pc to my hdr fox t2 'video' folder and what applications I would need to install from the modified firmware?
If that is all you want to do then the standard software will do. Turn on the FTP server on the Humax (Internet Settings menu), install an FTP client on your PC (personally I use the free filezilla) and away you go. If you have the custom software for other purposes then you could install betaftpd which is a more competent FTP server than the Humax offering or use network shares.

If you want to transfer unattended, you will need to set up an automation program on the PC (I think Windows Scheduler will do but I have no experience), and possibly use a command line FTP.

If you do use the modified software, then you can map a share to the Humax and output the mp4 transcode direct to it.
(I have a similar set up to yourself, but I find that I rarely need more than 2 tuners - since getting the Humax, the tuners in my media PC rarely get an outing.)

I'm successfully using the media bundle for the hdr and I can successfully browse using file explorer (I've mapped it as a network drive). I can copy files from the hdr to my pc using file explorer and I can erase .ts files on the box but I can't erase the other types of files.

Someone suggested using filezilla to erase these extra files but I can't get it to connect to the box. I'm getting 'a can't connect to server error'

In filezilla I'm using:
192.168.0.2 which is what i use to connect to the web interface and with file explorer
username and password that i've set for web interface access user control

I'm using wifi and a netgear router.

Any idea what I doing wrong?

media bundle is usually used to describe the Foxsat custom firmware - before we go any further, do you have a satellite or freeview box? (This is the freeview forum)

Try the password used to access the protected functions in the Humax menu (nothing to do with the web interface). The login is 'humaxftp' and unless you've changed it the password is '0000'. Also, be sure that you've turned the ftp server on in the box's menu (Settings - System - Internet Settings - FTP Server) UNLESS you've installed the alternative ftp server available in the enhanced software. If you have installed this, the internal ftp server must be switched off.

EDIT: assuming you are in the right forum, as per af123's question....

Thanks Ezra.
Situation is that after the occasional attempt and failure to access beyond putting in my humaxftp password in I am finally now up and running. This time my internet searches for a solution came up with more 'probably firewall' results than on previous attempts to sort out the FTP connection . After trying without success some of the suggestions I then remembered my PC connection is defined as 'public'. Changing the connection to 'home' was enough to relax the firewall.

On fenlander's original post I still cannot see what the 100/101 reference is about, but I now suspect that filezilla has moved on. Filling in the obvious details into the first 3 fields of filezilla's "quick connect" may be all that is needed, providing the PC has not got the local network defined as 'public'.

Apart from FTP I haven't wanted to make use of the extra functionality available when the setting is set to 'Home' instead of 'Public'. For example, I don't have a networked printer, and the C/F WebIf works OK for downloads from my networked HDR-FOX T2s.

Setting the windows network setting on a PC to 'Public' can be more secure than setting it to 'Home'.
Although there may be not that much security gained by having the windows PC's network setting as 'Public' instead of 'Home' when I first set up the conection to that local network I didn't see the point of defining it as 'Home'.

On fenlander's original post I still cannot see what the 100/101 reference is about, but I now suspect that filezilla has moved on.
I don't believe it has anything to do with Filezilla (which I have used for a good many years). My best guess would be that it is an attempt to allocate ip addresses outside the range of DHCP on a particular router. Unfortunately the DHCP controlled range varies greatly between different routers.

Back