Editors and editing

Hi Guys,
Thanks to advice here at the weekend I now have automatic decrypt working and its brilliant.

I would like to be able to do very simple editing, take out the adverts and clean up the start and end that's about it.
You confirmed my experience of the on-board editor isn't too good. What editor would any of you suggest I should get?

Along with that, do I need to convert the 4 files system into something else like mp4 to make using the recording outside of the Humax easier?
What formats would yould suggest and can the humax still play them?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Bob.

MymsMan

Ad detector
Whilst nicesplice is not perfect it is not that bad and detectads is the only solution that can give you a decrypted, ad-detected and cropped programme fully automatically within a few seconds of a programme completing.

All other solutions involve off-box processing and are labour intensive in comparison.

While you might want to take extra effort on a programme you watch multiple times is it worth it for view once and delete programmes

fenlander

Avidemux is very good for off-box editing. No recoding needed for simple edits (so it is very quick) and it will save in mp4 or mkv format. It's not as comprehensive as Videoredo, but unlike VRD it's free. You only need the ts file - the others are Humax-specific.

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I would like to be able to do very simple editing, take out the adverts and clean up the start and end that's about it.
It's only telly.

For skipping adverts we have detectads to bookmark the ends of ad breaks (so all you have to do to skip the adverts is press the "next bookmark" button), or bookmark the start and ends of ad breaks and auto-crop. Apart from a short glitch, playback over a crop works fine on the HDR-FOX.

Any other (cleaner) process, using a video editor on a PC, is time consuming. I think you'll soon get bored of doing it. You also need to make sure the editing does not end up re-encoding, otherwise the export will be very slow (depending how powerful the PC is) and unnecessarily reduced in quality.

For when the job is really worth it, I use VideoReDo.

PS: There is a forum section especially for this kind of thing: https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/audio-video-file-manipulation.48/

Ezra Pound

Avidemux is very good for off-box editing. No recoding needed for simple edits (so it is very quick) and it will save in mp4 or mkv format. It's not as comprehensive as Videoredo, but unlike VRD it's free. You only need the ts file - the others are Humax-specific.
I notice that Virus Total reports a problem with Avidemux, it is probably a false positive, but . . .

avidemux-virus.jpg

OP
M

mightyoakbob

Whilst nicesplice is not perfect it is not that bad and detectads is the only solution that can give you a decrypted, ad-detected and cropped programme fully automatically within a few seconds of a programme completing.

All other solutions involve off-box processing and are labour intensive in comparison.

While you might want to take extra effort on a programme you watch multiple times is it worth it for view once and delete programmes
I thinking of a handful of things I would like to keep. For watching once I wouldn't bother editing at all, I'd just use the move forward button.

Thanks.
Bob.

OP
M

mightyoakbob

Thanks, I'll have a good look at at that.

Bob.

OP
M

mightyoakbob

It's only telly.

For skipping adverts we have detectads to bookmark the ends of ad breaks (so all you have to do to skip the adverts is press the "next bookmark" button), or bookmark the start and ends of ad breaks and auto-crop. Apart from a short glitch, playback over a crop works fine on the HDR-FOX.

Any other (cleaner) process, using a video editor on a PC, is time consuming. I think you'll soon get bored of doing it. You also need to make sure the editing does not end up re-encoding, otherwise the export will be very slow (depending how powerful the PC is) and unnecessarily reduced in quality.

For when the job is really worth it, I use VideoReDo.

PS: There is a forum section especially for this kind of thing: https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/audio-video-file-manipulation.48/
Thank you. All very interesting and informative. I will check out the link and VideoReDo.

Thanks.

Bob.

/df

The killer feature of AviDemux with MPEG-4 ASP (eg XViD) was Smart-Copy, where an edit not on I-frame boundaries would cause the chunk on each side of the edit between I-frames to be re-encoded in line with the original encoding. Thus the remainder of the file would be copied with no loss of quality.

Sadly, the developer(s) have never been able to implement this for H.264, despite rewriting the edit system with the apparent intention of supporting it.