Editors and editing

Hi Guys,
Thanks to advice here at the weekend I now have automatic decrypt working and its brilliant.

I would like to be able to do very simple editing, take out the adverts and clean up the start and end that's about it.
You confirmed my experience of the on-board editor isn't too good. What editor would any of you suggest I should get?

Along with that, do I need to convert the 4 files system into something else like mp4 to make using the recording outside of the Humax easier?
What formats would yould suggest and can the humax still play them?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Bob.

Whilst nicesplice is not perfect it is not that bad and detectads is the only solution that can give you a decrypted, ad-detected and cropped programme fully automatically within a few seconds of a programme completing.

All other solutions involve off-box processing and are labour intensive in comparison.

While you might want to take extra effort on a programme you watch multiple times is it worth it for view once and delete programmes

Avidemux is very good for off-box editing. No recoding needed for simple edits (so it is very quick) and it will save in mp4 or mkv format. It's not as comprehensive as Videoredo, but unlike VRD it's free. You only need the ts file - the others are Humax-specific.

I would like to be able to do very simple editing, take out the adverts and clean up the start and end that's about it.
It's only telly.

For skipping adverts we have detectads to bookmark the ends of ad breaks (so all you have to do to skip the adverts is press the "next bookmark" button), or bookmark the start and ends of ad breaks and auto-crop. Apart from a short glitch, playback over a crop works fine on the HDR-FOX.

Any other (cleaner) process, using a video editor on a PC, is time consuming. I think you'll soon get bored of doing it. You also need to make sure the editing does not end up re-encoding, otherwise the export will be very slow (depending how powerful the PC is) and unnecessarily reduced in quality.

For when the job is really worth it, I use VideoReDo.

PS: There is a forum section especially for this kind of thing: https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/audio-video-file-manipulation.48/

Avidemux is very good for off-box editing. No recoding needed for simple edits (so it is very quick) and it will save in mp4 or mkv format. It's not as comprehensive as Videoredo, but unlike VRD it's free. You only need the ts file - the others are Humax-specific.
I notice that Virus Total reports a problem with Avidemux, it is probably a false positive, but . . .

avidemux-virus.jpg

Whilst nicesplice is not perfect it is not that bad and detectads is the only solution that can give you a decrypted, ad-detected and cropped programme fully automatically within a few seconds of a programme completing.

All other solutions involve off-box processing and are labour intensive in comparison.

While you might want to take extra effort on a programme you watch multiple times is it worth it for view once and delete programmes

I thinking of a handful of things I would like to keep. For watching once I wouldn't bother editing at all, I'd just use the move forward button.

Thanks.
Bob.

Thanks, I'll have a good look at at that.

Bob.

It's only telly.

For skipping adverts we have detectads to bookmark the ends of ad breaks (so all you have to do to skip the adverts is press the "next bookmark" button), or bookmark the start and ends of ad breaks and auto-crop. Apart from a short glitch, playback over a crop works fine on the HDR-FOX.

Any other (cleaner) process, using a video editor on a PC, is time consuming. I think you'll soon get bored of doing it. You also need to make sure the editing does not end up re-encoding, otherwise the export will be very slow (depending how powerful the PC is) and unnecessarily reduced in quality.

For when the job is really worth it, I use VideoReDo.

PS: There is a forum section especially for this kind of thing: https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/audio-video-file-manipulation.48/

Thank you. All very interesting and informative. I will check out the link and VideoReDo.

Thanks.

Bob.

The killer feature of AviDemux with MPEG-4 ASP (eg XViD) was Smart-Copy, where an edit not on I-frame boundaries would cause the chunk on each side of the edit between I-frames to be re-encoded in line with the original encoding. Thus the remainder of the file would be copied with no loss of quality.

Sadly, the developer(s) have never been able to implement this for H.264, despite rewriting the edit system with the apparent intention of supporting it.

Thanks for your advice on this. I had a play with a short term demo of VideoReDo with a .ts.decrypt file. As I was told, it is a slow, time consuming process but gives excellent results.

I now understand that the small files in a recording are for the humax playback only, I think that's correct

I don't quite understand why after decryption I end up with two large files. The one is a .ts file and the other is a .ts.decrypting file.

Do I need both?

I assume the .ts.decrypting file is the decryped version of the .ts is that correct?
Can I delete .ts files and rename the .ts.decrypting as .ts? Will that save space and leave only decrypetd recordings?

Sorry to ask such daft questions.
Thanks for the help.

Bob.

Can I delete .ts files and rename the .ts.decrypting as .ts? Will that save space and leave only decrypetd recordings?
There is something going wrong with your setup. Is your machine set to turn itself off? Completion of decryption should not result in what you are seeing, so I presume decryption is not completing or being allowed to complete.

Decryption Guide (click)

I now understand that the small files in a recording are for the humax playback only, I think that's correct
The "small files" contain metadata about the .ts. We call them "sidecar files". Only the Humax media player can make use of them, but they are not critical to playback (unless the .ts is encrypted).

There is something going wrong with your setup. Is your machine set to turn itself off? Completion of decryption should not result in what you are seeing, so I presume decryption is not completing or being allowed to complete.

Oh dear.
No, the machine is not set to turn itself off though it does start up and shut down in the night for some reason.
I've recently set the whole video section of the drive to auto decrypt so this is new to me and it has done every single recording the same way.
I watched the queue because it was huge when it started but it worked through during a Sunday a couple of weeks back.
Ignoring the little files what should I end up with?

How might I go about fixing this?
I will read the link you gave me.

Thanks.

Bob.

How might I go about fixing this?
It rather depends what's wrong! At the end of a decryption, the original encrypted file should end up in the recycle bin (if you have installed undelete), or in a subfolder ".original" (IIRC), with the decrypted version remaining in place as .ts. The .hmt is also updated to reflect the decrypted status.

Should the original .ts be in use (eg being played) at the end of the decryption run, it cannot be moved so you will get left with the decrypted version separate (this could be what you are seeing, but I don't think it is named "decrypting").

No, the machine is not set to turn itself off though it does start up and shut down in the night for some reason.
I've recently set the whole video section of the drive to auto decrypt
You really don't want the machine turning off and on while it's doing that. If it is starting up in the night you must have turned it off!

I imagine this start up is:
Presuming it has power, the HD/HDR-FOX performs an "OTA (over-the-air) search" at 4.30am daily.

...for which the solution (if you don't want it doing that) is:

Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click)

It rather depends what's wrong! At the end of a decryption, the original encrypted file should end up in the recycle bin (if you have installed undelete), or in a subfolder ".original" (IIRC), with the decrypted version remaining in place as .ts. The .hmt is also updated to reflect the decrypted status.

Should the original .ts be in use (eg being played) at the end of the decryption run, it cannot be moved so you will get left with the decrypted version separate (this could be what you are seeing, but I don't think it is named "decrypting").

You really don't want the machine turning off and on while it's doing that. If it is starting up in the night you must have turned it off!

I imagine this start up is:

...for which the solution (if you don't want it doing that) is:

Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click)

Thank you so much for the help you're giving me.

Thanks to you pointing out that the two large files I was getting was NOT normal I've done some more looking. I thought it odd but it hadn't dawned on me that it was wrong.
There is one TV series that I wish to edit down and keep but the majority of the hard drive is full of programmes I'm not bothered about. What I discovered was that these two file anomilies only existed in my programme all the others had decrypted and had just one file there. I think this must be something to do with many failed attempts to decrypt manually before you told me to do it on auto.

I've delete the .ts.decrypting files and all seems well.

I also did a perfect edit of one of my programmes using VideoReDo (try it version) and replaced the file on the Humax with it. The Humax couldn't play it and I had to return the unedited version which repaired it. Is that to be expected?

In answer to your question about the machine turning off, It does not turn off on auto but just before I go to sleep at night I do put both the humax and the sky box into standbye. Is this not adviseable?

Thank you.

Bob.

I also did a perfect edit of one of my programmes using VideoReDo (try it version) and replaced the file on the Humax with it. The Humax couldn't play it and I had to return the unedited version which repaired it. Is that to be expected?
It is if you don't know what you're doing. The VideoRedo export has to be specifically .m2ts, and then renamed .ts. Maybe that's the problem, hard to tell.

It does not turn off on auto but just before I go to sleep at night I do put both the humax and the sky box into standbye. Is this not adviseable?
If it is busy trying to clear a backlog of decryptions, turning it off interrupts a decryption. Being interrupted isn't a problem as such, but the decryption will be retried, and could leave .decrypting files around the place from interrupted processes.

Last edited:
It is if you don't know what you're doing. The VideoRedo export has to be specifically .m2ts, and then renamed .ts. Maybe that's the problem, hard to tell.

Well I didn't know about .m2ts so I imagine you may be right, thanks.
Trouble is, I think my trial has run out.
Bob.

Yes unfortunately my trial had run out so I had to get another trial on another machine. However, you were proved right again, saving as m2ts and then renaming does get the shorter edited file to play on the Humax.

Brilliant thanks.

Two things I learnt though.

1. Humax does not play the first half a second or so of the video, not a problem now I know that.

2. The green jog bar, don't know the correct name, is still the same as before so although an original recording was 65 minutes the new edited one is 44 minutes, the jog bar still thinks it is the original length.
This means that if you push the right button on the joystick the playback shoots left.
I presume that is to do with one of the smaller files in the programme set. Is there a fix for that? I guessing not but hope I'm wrong.

Thank you once again.

Cheers,

Bob.

Back