End Terrestrial Television with "Fibre Switchover"

Let us hope this doesn't happen, even if the internet could cope with the massive increase in bandwidth required to supply all T.V. (which I doubt), how many Gigabytes per month do you think users would be downloading over their broadband connections and how much would a truly un-capped broadband service cost?

:thumbs down:

Philosophically I'm in favour of not cluttering up the airwaves for communication which is (essentially) fixed-point to fixed-point, but that means a dedicated cable system (like USA) rather than competing for bandwidth on the wirewaves instead.

I disagree. The airwaves are much more suited and a more efficient use of resources for one to many communication such as broadcast TV and radio than is the internet for larger values of many.

I disagree. The airwaves are much more suited and a more efficient use of resources for one to many communication such as broadcast TV and radio than is the internet for larger values of many.
In time, ISPs will get source-specific multicast implemented properly down to end devices. Probably about the same time a IPv6 is widely deployed since that generally removes address translation along the way.

Back