EPG possible errors ?

As it happens I know what happened last week. I set it to record probably by clicking on the first episode, said record series and left it. On the day the first episode recorded and there was no trace of it trying to record the second. I probably used the rs to schedule that since I use it about 99 percent.

My hypothesis is that (when working properly) the SUI maintains a database of series linked episodes and sets all the items in the list when you set any of them (which had failed before I rebooted), but maybe WebIF/RS doesn't look for episodes that occur earlier than the specific one you set. If so, I'm surprised nobody has spotted this before. If not: I have no idea how the SUI can mark the first episode to record by setting the second episode, but the WebIF and RS do something different.
I believe that @Black Hole is correct but as far as I can see his findings don't fully explain @mihaid's experiences of episode 1 recording but episode 2 not recording
As it happens I know what happened last week. I set it to record probably by clicking on the first episode, said record series and left it. On the day the first episode recorded and there was no trace of it trying to record the second. I probably used the rs to schedule that since I use it about 99 percent.
My understanding of the process from past observations is:
  • The SUI assumes that a series recording should record the entire series even if you select episode 2 as the start point
  • The webif/RS assume you know what you want (sometimes dangerous with me) and start the series recording at the episode identified, this is not a bug but can be quite useful if
    • You have already watched the first episodes, or
    • You are moving the series to resolve conflicts
  • The RS does not attempt to identify other pending episodes because it would be extra work and resolved shortly when the series is actually scheduled
  • The webif only adds the first to be recorded episode to the recording database, the Humax software populates future episodes (so there is a window where the list appears incomplete)
  • The Humax scans the EPG for new series episodes periodically (?) when a recording completes for new episodes to be added to the recording schedule. This scan seems to be designed for the normal case where new entries appear at the end and doesn't handle well changes to scheduled episode, or new entries inserted into the middle, changes in time etc.
The schedule database is /var/lib/humaxtv/rsv.db and the list of future episodes is in the szEventToRecord column whilst the 5 most recent past episodes (to be skipped) is in szRecordedProgramCrid and the series Crid or one-off recording cCrid is in szCRID

This still doesn't explain what @mihaid is seeing unless the initial schedule of the series recording so close to the first episode that the Humax hadn't completed the future episode population before the second episode was due to start.

In the past I have suggested that perhaps the webif could monitor the EPG for late changes to the schedule and programmes moved to BBC2 as often happens around Wimbledon and other sporting events and update the recording schedule as needed but it hasn't yet made it to the active part of anybodies to-do list.

Last edited:
This still doesn't explain what @mihaid is seeing unless the initial schedule of the series recording so close to the first episode that the Humax hadn't completed the future episode population before the second episode was due to start.

i'm quite sure that is not the case.
i'm quite convinced that I used rs quite a few days before the event recorded. I could verifyit if I could find a version of recent activity log on rs homepage which does not cut off after a few days.

I could verifyit if I could find a version of recent activity log on rs homepage which does not cut off after a few days.
When I click on 'More' in recent activity I get almost a months worth of entries. Have you tried clicking on more ?

i'm quite convinced that I used rs quite a few days before the event recorded. I could verifyit if I could find a version of recent activity log on rs homepage which does not cut off after a few days.
I can now confirm

20/02/2019 15:12:02 - Scheduled The Celebrity Apprentice USA @ 1551051000

not from rs but from webif activity.log

Well, after all that the SUI now shows both entries and none of them shows as a series.
So broadcaster screwup :(

Possibly best to use rs Auto to 'Schedule matching events' so that you record it as a set of one-off recordings, you could then use Sweeper to gather them into a series foder and possibly use dedupe to eliminate any duplicates

I don't get it. How can it be a broadcaster screw-up when the CRIDs are correct?
I was confused by the OPs post
Well, after all that the SUI now shows both entries and none of them shows as a series.
I thought he was reporting new information - next weeks episodes now appearing in the schedule without series crids rather than tonights entries which have been around for a while

I think we need some more specifics of what @mihaid actually has on his box - the log record posted unfortunately doesn't show whether he scheduled a series recording or inadvertently just scheduled a one-off recording.

@mihaid
  • Do you have a series recording entry for the Apprentice USA in your schedule list on the webif?
  • What are the details, Series crid, events, times or post screen shot?
  • The current series crids are fp.bbc.co.uk/m-1T6U (SD) and fp.bbc.co.uk/m/1T6U (HD)
  • If your schedule entry has a different scrid then BBC changed between episode which would be stupid, or
  • If you don't have a schedule entry either you recorded it as single entry, or BBC flagged the entry as a one-off

So broadcaster screwup :(

Possibly best to use rs Auto to 'Schedule matching events' so that you record it as a set of one-off recordings, you could then use Sweeper to gather them into a series foder and possibly use dedupe to eliminate any duplicates
i'm afraid that is too much labour to resolve what should be automatic. and lest we forget: it's only telly.

I was confused by the OPs post

I thought he was reporting new information -

it was new information but not as you saw it.

I had scheduled originally, more than a week ago, the apprentice via the rs AS A SERIES. we all know what happened last sunday. when I looked into it, the second episode for tonight was not showing as it will be recorded, just as it happened a week ago. so I went via the rs and clicked on second episode and scheduled it AS A SERIES. I thought I explained this already but maybe not.

so, when I looked at the sui yday, both episodes show up but not as A SERIES.

the log record posted unfortunately doesn't show whether he scheduled a series recording

is there a log which would show that? whilst even I recognise I may make a mistake, not even I would make that mistake twice in a row.

hey, wait a minute. if I'd scheduled a one off then there would not be an apprentice folder. BUT THERE IS.

I have two entries both AS A SERIES on webif, checked just now.
I am sorry but I am not not a mind reader nor do I have remote access to your boxes to know what folders you have or what the contents of your recording schedule is.
Do both or your series entries have exactly the same series crid as the episodes scheduled for tonight.
I am trying to work out if the BBC maybe changed the series crid in the interval between when you originally scheduled the recording and now - it does happen though more often with channels like Dave and Pick than the BBC.

hey, wait a minute. if I'd scheduled a one off then there would not be an apprentice folder. BUT THERE IS.

this was not meant to say that you should have known this, it was more MY REALISATION that this verifies my memory recollection.

I would have expected you to remember this

Or this

i'm quite convinced that I used rs quite a few days before the event recorded.

right

so I have now deleted both

I have scheduled via sui used series by clicking the second episode and it now shows as a series on sui and on webif.

it seems that the problem was with rs.

Back