EPG sooooo slow...?

D

Dadslo

Hi,
Responses to buttons pressed on the remote when viewing the EPG are awful. Any ideas? Is my box on its way out?
I leave the box on all the time, although occasionally switch it off/unplug, eg when trying to rectify slow response.
Drive <30% full.
Running software v1.0.13; Loader v7.52; updated 13/01/10 - is this the latest?
Cheers, Kevin

Mine is the same and has been like this from new.
I have actually had THREE Foxsat HDR's (due to failure of 2) and all three have suffered from the same slow response to remote inputs.

Steve

I suspect usability was a low priority when they designed how and when the box would process user input rather than doing other stuff such as gathering EPG info.

It's a bit quicker if you press "Schedule" and "Red", which accesses the EPG downloaded into ram when the box is switched on.

It's a bit quicker if you press "Schedule" and "Red", which accesses the EPG downloaded into ram when the box is switched on.

Close it's on the HDD so pressing the above combination loads it from disc. It's also continously updated by info transmitted along with the broadcast data. Apart from rebuilding the guide after something like a factory reset schedule/red is really all you ever need. Unlike pressing guide a tuner is not required which is why you get an instant guide if tuner 1 is recording (you get the buffered one with no message receiving programme info) and the background video/audio is instant.

this happens on all of the HDR's AFAIK, and is nothing to do with your box being on the way out, and its only slow and sluggish to respond, when the EPG is initially gathering programming data, which seems to last for 30-60 seconds, after than when the guide have been populated it jumps to attention all of a sudden and is responsive once more.

thats why using the schedule then red button, is repsonsive from the get go as its now updating with live EPG data.

Thanks everybody - Schedule/Red does seem a bit quicker.

I must also say that the original Humax remote is quicker than the Logitech Harmony remote i use to control all my devices. I will go have a play with that and set the key delay to 0 ms...!

I must also say that the original Humax remote is quicker than the Logitech Harmony remote i use to control all my devices. I will go have a play with that and set the key delay to 0 ms...!
If you set the delay too short the favourite buttons don't work as the hdr seems to miss some of the digits.

I must also say that the original Humax remote is quicker than the Logitech Harmony remote I use to control all my devices. I will go have a play with that and set the key delay to 0 ms...!

"Schedule/Red" is a lot quicker than "Menu" for me. I've got a Harmony 600 and I've created a sequence called GuideScheduleRed and assigned the Humax commands "Schedule", then "Red" to it. I've then assigned that sequence to the Guide button under the WatchTV Activity in place of the default command "Guide". I've added the original Guide command to the Additional Buttons so that I can get to it on the odd occasion I might need it. Job done!

frogman23
I have a Harmony One. Probably the same to programme. Do you know the sequence you followed to programme it. Would be grateful for details.
Thanks.
Mr J T Stuart

On the Harmony 1000 I simply added a soft button called it guide and assigned a macro to it adding the existing schedule and red commands. That's it, to be honest also having the schedule media and list buttons grouped with a soft red button I just use these now.

The Harmony 1000 is a bit different you can add buttons to a touch sensitive screen and has relatively few real buttons

I have a Harmony one and followed the create a sequence for a button with the two commands but it would not work. I am a bit thick though !

Hi

THANK YOU THANK YOU for these posts.

I have had a Humax Freesat HD box for over a year was have been really frustrated with:
1- the delayed action response to the remote
2- the slowness of the EOPG to come up, and the way it cuts off the current TVchannel while it loads

LAST NIGHT after reading these posts I went and did the following:

1- lifted the front flap and with some fingernail action managed to remove the invisible film which I had not realised was still in place ...now my remote is so much better!!
2- started using schedule/red to get to the EPG...it's instant and does not interfere with the current programme (sure it might be a little out of date but only since last time I called up the live EPG)

Fantastic - thank you for these two tips. I am off to Humax website to reccommend they make these instructions more prominent, as these two faults were my only real complaints about an otherwise excellent box!!

Phil

Hi

2- started using schedule/red to get to the EPG...it's instant and does not interfere with the current programme (sure it might be a little out of date but only since last time I called up the live EPG)

It won't be out of date, the cached epg is continously updated by epg data from the channel you are watching (similar to a freeview box). Simply turning on the box starts the continous rolling update process. I have used the box since 2008 and always used schedule/red.

If you ever do a factory reset, press schedule/red and watch the epg populate. It will take a lot longer than the minute or so a new epg download takes after pressing guide. In fact if you ever pressed guide while the box was recording you get the instant cached epg anyway (tuner 1 is needed to fetch a new guide)

The one time I do use the EPG key is when I do my weekly check and set of what timers are upcoming in the next 7/8 days so that I can see the eighth day's info. This is quicker than waiting for the rolling updates to get round to it.

Back