Error 2 Share Not Available

BenB

3 Raspberry Pi's around the house rely on recordings and movies on USB , all shared by my hummy.
It seems to be since the update last week, that shared folders can't be accessed, messages like 'share not available'. I always think the network has problems, til I realise WebIf can be accessed fine.
If WebIf is OK, any idea why shared files aren't available?

Seems to happen daily now.

I've tried various reboots, perhaps I need to reset the modem again, reset all my power line adapters etc? Can't remember what fixed it yesterday!

It is possible that Humax changed something in the kernel that they shipped with 1.03.12. I would try this:
  • Run the prepare-for-upgrade diagnostic;
  • Install official 1.02.32;
  • Install custom 1.03.12.
and see if it resolve the problem., The custom 1.03.12 file does not include a new kernel so you will end up with 1.03.12 on the 1.02.32 kernel (which will be fine but might resolve your problem).

3 Raspberry Pi's around the house rely on recordings and movies on USB , all shared by my hummy.
It seems to be since the update last week, that shared folders can't be accessed, messages like 'share not available'. I always think the network has problems, til I realise WebIf can be accessed fine.
Try "smbclient -L 127.0.0.1 -N" in a Telnet session and see if that matches what your other devices are expecting.
If WebIf is OK, any idea why shared files aren't available?
Without a lot more detail it is impossible to speculate.
I've tried various reboots, perhaps I need to reset the modem again, reset all my power line adapters etc? Can't remember what fixed it yesterday!
Hmm...

Thanks for the replies,
I know it's impossible to speculate, the added confusion of my network relying on Powerline adapters certainly doesn't help. But nothing's changed since it was working yesterday, except a timed power-down last night and back up again this morning.
Perhaps my router doesn't like that (Though it is set to a manual ip, so again, nothing should have changed.)

By telnet, do you mean using Putty? (I'm not too hot on these things, but I have accessed my Pi's like that before)

Am I safe to install a much earlier custom firmware? Would everything, packages etc all work OK on 1.2.32 CFW if I downgraded?
I can live without the recent upgrades to iplayer etc, the laggy epg is more of a daily annoyance than any gain seems to be!

Thanks, I'll downgrade tomorrow I reckon.

Very odd, I've just found that if I browse (via xbmc on my PC) for the recordings on the humax, then the directory containing the recordings appears empty, until I go up one folder. Then they are actually there, but under a folder called 'My Contents', then 'My Video'. And they actually play too.
Like the directory that I have saved set as a saved shortcut/favourite in xbmc (It won't let me see what exactly the address was when it used to work) has now changed. Perhaps the share is working fine, but directories are renamed now in the new version?

The USB however isn't shared for some reason, even when I search for video files, via upnp in xbmc. Though it is there when I look under ftp.

very odd!

Sorry Black Hole, I don't understand! How do I get the usb to share then? If I can see it's connected, and access it via ftp, how can I access the usb folders via upnp?

DLNA (UPnP) is not "what you have is what you get". A DLNA server builds an index of content, and it is that index which gets presented to client queries. This is why new recordings are not available (by DLNA) for a short (or sometimes long) time after the recording has finished - the new content has to be scanned and added to the index database before it is "visible" to a DLNA client (in this case XBMC).

Mostly the completion of a recording is sufficient to prompt the indexer, otherwise a reboot will do it. If you move a recording from one folder to another, the index will be broken for that item and not be corrected until the next boot.

The Humax indexer simply does not include USB media in the index. You will have to copy USB content onto the internal HDD. Alternatively you could use the custom firmware to make the Humax available as a network share by installing the samba package, and that includes USB media in the share by default (you will access it as if it were a network drive, and the content will need to have been decrypted).

Another alternative is to use the mvdisks package to "mount" the external drive into My Video - this makes the external content appear to be on the internal HDD, fooling the Humax into indexing it (but this can have undesirable consequences - the Humax may think it has more free space than it actually does).

For background info (UPnP, DLNA, Samba...) see the Glossary (click).

I'm having the same problems of not being able to see the contents of the Samba shares. It was working earlier this week, but not now. Tried various reboots and from a PC running XP and one running Win 7 64bit. Checked the samba conf files, stopped and started the service, but no joy.

I'm willing to help out debugging when I can.

Thanks for the description BlackHole. I remember now that when I set up my xbmc systems the USB had to be done vis SMB and the recordings were upnp.
I think we're getting somewhere - perhaps Samba is less reliable with the latest firmware?

Just to reiterate - my xbmc installations haven't changed; yet shares, shortcuts and media library locations that used to work, are losing their connections. Then without reason sometimes working again!

I'm having the same problems of not being able to see the contents of the Samba shares. It was working earlier this week, but not now. Tried various reboots and from a PC running XP and one running Win 7 64bit. Checked the samba conf files, stopped and started the service, but no joy.

I'm willing to help out debugging when I can.
Other issues related to Samba shares have surfaced since the OTA: MikeAndSal reported problems with mounting Windows folders on the Humax, which was solved by changing the syntax of the mount command: see here. In this current thread af123 postulated that Humax might have made changes to the kernel in 1.03.12: af123 is there a way to compare the kernel configurations (file size comparisons, checksums etc.)? If changes were made, we could have a situation whereby users with apparently the same 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22 installed may have version differences depending on whether or not standard 1.03.12 was installed by OTA before upgrading to the custom version.

There are certainly differences between the kernels in 1.02.xx and 1.03.xx - I can't easily tell what was changed. On the other hand, I can tell that there were no kernel changes between the three 1.03.xx versions that I've seen.

There are certainly differences between the kernels in 1.02.xx and 1.03.xx - I can't easily tell what was changed. On the other hand, I can tell that there were no kernel changes between the three 1.03.xx versions that I've seen.
Interesting. Am I right in thinking that if you are on 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22, for example, and your machine came from Humax Direct with 1.03.06 or 1.03.11 (or is an 'RE' box), or it was updated to 1.03.12 OTA before you installed the custom firmware you will be on the new kernel, but if your machine was puchased with 1.02.32 (or earlier) installed, and you did not get the OTA upgrade you will be on the old kernel? Did any of the extracted 1.03.xx firmwares (e.g. 1.03.06 extracted 'official') include the new kernel?

I'm on 1.03.12/CFW 2.22. Box reports kernel version as 2.6.18-7.1. Anyone know what version number was reported with 1.02.xx firmwares ?
Edit: Just had a look at the sources I downloaded from Humax opensource back in 2011 and that was 2.6.8-7.1 also so it could have just been recompiled with different options. Will have a look at the latest config that's available and see if I can ascertain what those differences are, if any.

Just to update my issue, I downgraded all the way to 1.2.32 CFW and it looks like both the upnp and samba connections work again, allbeit with slightly different addresses than my xbmc installs were looking for, so I'm regenerating their libraries. I can't remember the CFW I was on before, but I guess between versions the addresses created by the connections can be different

I understand now. I knew that the kernel was included in official updates, but I did not realise that it was recompiled each time. FYI, I noticed that my 'RE' box (supplied with 1.03.06 and now on 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22) has a slightly different version to the one listed in the Wiki:
Three# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.18-7.1 (dhkim2@dhkim2-B2BSW3) (gcc version 4.2.0 20070124 (pre
release) - BRCM 11ts-20090508) #1 SMP Wed May 8 14:32:30 KST 2013

I understand now. I knew that the kernel was included in official updates, but I did not realise that it was recompiled each time. FYI, I noticed that my 'RE' box (supplied with 1.03.06 and now on 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22) has a slightly different version to the one listed in the Wiki:
Interesting - that means there were at least two 1.03.06 builds.

Back