[exfat-builder] Helps add exFAT support to the Humax.

There's an error now, probably as a result of mods. elsewhere:
Code:
--- /mod/webif/plugin/exfat-builder/script.js~
+++ /mod/webif/plugin/exfat-builder/script.js
@@ -15,7 +15,7 @@
 $('#bback').button().on('click', function(e) {
  e.preventDefault();
-  window.location.href = '/cgi-bin/settings.jim';
+  window.location.href = '/settings/settings.jim';
 });
 $('#build_exfat').button().on('click', function(e) {

ExFAT is a good idea, totally ruined by the restrictive licencing and patents by Microsoft. To become a true updated replacement for FAT32 it needs to be patent and licence free. Until such time, FAT32 will remain the format of choice for USB sticks and SD cards, despite the 4GB size limits.

ExFAT is a good idea, totally ruined by the restrictive licencing and patents by Microsoft. To become a true updated replacement for FAT32 it needs to be patent and licence free. Until such time, FAT32 will remain the format of choice for USB sticks and SD cards, despite the 4GB size limits.
It has its uses still - all of the devices I move files between support it. Windows, MacOSX & the Humax.

Dumb question, please... should I be able to access the disk from the on-telly Humax UI?

I've got it installed and working, and my exFAT 2TB external USB drive mounted. I can see it in the WebIF, mounted as media/drive1, and I can copy a file to it.

But I can't seem to see it via the Humax UI from the telly.

Using the coloured buttons, Storage offers me HDD or Network, the former giving me the internal HDD only. Media gives me Video, Photo or Audio, but no obvious way to access drive1.

Settings does see the external disk, although thinks it's a 1TB drive.

Am I being especially silly here? Do I need to create a top-level dir in drive1? Or a symlink to it from within My Video?

thanks...

I've never played with exFAT, but the NTFS driver just creates a drive in Media >> Storage >> USB. Try adding another storage device in the other USB socket - that may prompt it to "see" the exFAT drive.

When a USB drive is plugged in, you should also get a USB option in the Humax UI, in addition to HDD and Network. What happens if you unmount the USB drive using the Web-If eject button and then use the same button to rescan the USB ports? Do you have to install a package for the HDR-FOX to read exFAT or can it do it natively?

Yes, but you have to build it yourself because of copyright.

Usual bloody rubbish from Microsoft. How they expect it to become a standard well supported interchange format like FAT32 is a mystery to me under such restrictions. But it is designed to replace FAT32's ubiquity for SD cards, USB sticks etc.

thanks both.

I've never played with exFAT, but the NTFS driver just creates a drive in Media >> Storage >> USB. Try adding another storage device in the other USB socket - that may prompt it to "see" the exFAT drive.

Interesting. The exfat support mounts it at /media/drive1. I have my wifi dongle plugged into the front port, which complictes matters slightly.

When a USB drive is plugged in, you should also get a USB option in the Humax UI, in addition to HDD and Network. What happens if you unmount the USB drive using the Web-If eject button and then use the same button to rescan the USB ports?

The same result: remounts it at /media/drive1

The same result: remounts it at /media/drive1
I thought it would remount, but when you rescan you should get a message saying that a USB device has been removed on the TV screen then the set of four options appear onscreen (like you get when you physically plug in a USB drive). The drive should then be available under USB in the Humax UI. If there isn't a USB option, it is behaving like there is no USB drive plugged in.

Usual bloody rubbish from Microsoft. How they expect it to become a standard well supported interchange format like FAT32 is a mystery to me under such restrictions. But it is designed to replace FAT32's ubiquity for SD cards, USB sticks etc.
Similar story with NTFS - the specification has never been published, so third party support is all by observation and experiment (including Linux drivers).

Interesting. The exfat support mounts it at /media/drive1.
Is that when you have another storage device plugged in to kick the Humax firmware into recognising another device? One way around this is to use a USB hub to add more sockets. Another is to install the virtual-disk2 package (which has its own drawbacks).

I thought it would remount, but when you rescan you should get a message saying that a USB device has been removed on the TV screen then the set of four options appear onscreen (like you get when you physically plug in a USB drive). The drive should then be available under USB in the Humax UI. If there isn't a USB option, it is behaving like there is no USB drive plugged in.

Ah. I wasn't even looking at the telly - it may not have been on when I tried it.

I've never plugged in any USB device before (other than booting it with CF release on one), so I'd no idea what the normal behaviour looked like.

So, is there no-one else using this pkg then, and can say whether this is the expected behaviour?

thanks again, all.

Is that when you have another storage device plugged in to kick the Humax firmware into recognising another device? One way around this is to use a USB hub to add more sockets.

I'll give that a try shortly, although it might be interesting as a data point, but no good for actual use. i.e. if I have to leave a dummy FAT-fs device (e.g) in there permanently just to allow the exfat device to be seen.

I've never tried to use an exfat drive via the standard Humax menus but I'll have a play later on if I can.

thanks much... I'd intended to use it mostly as an overflow store, rather than for data transfer, so being able to play recordings from it was the plan.

If that were all it needed to do, then ext3 would be fine, of course. But I'd planned to also use it for occasional bulk data transfer, since the wifi is so slow, hence the need to use it on the Mac.

I added exFAT support to a HD-FOX (1.03.02/ CFW 3.03, ext3 formatted USB hard drive) and found that I could copy to an exFAT USB stick from the USB hard drive (and vice-versa) with the remote control (both drives were connected to the HD-FOX USB port using a hub). The same is true with ext2 and FAT32 formatted USB sticks. Was this feature enabled by installing the above package? I thought that you could only move files within the same drive on the HD-FOX using the remote control handset. Copying to a network mount still fails, and the copy procedure does not decrypt recordings.

Back