[exfat-builder] Helps add exFAT support to the Humax.

Was this feature enabled by installing the above package? I thought that you could only move files within the same drive on the HD-FOX using the remote control handset.
I'm not certain, but I think you can. Isn't it just a case of picking another destination drive from the USB list?

and the copy procedure does not decrypt recordings.
You have to be in HDR Mode to decrypt recordings on copy.

I have just succumbed to temptation and bought another spare box from ebay. I am trying to install the same packages us my other boxes, but hit a problem with the exfat-builder which just seems to hang. All subsequent packages I try to install fail until I restart.

revisiting my old question, as we're trying it again here:

- does anyone have it working so that it can be seen in the on-telly UI, as opposed to the WebIF?

thanks much :)

revisiting my old question, as we're trying it again here:

- does anyone have it working so that it can be seen in the on-telly UI, as opposed to the WebIF?

thanks much :)
No. It is only visible in the standard UI if another USB device (FAT32, NTFS, EXT2/3) is mounted too, or if the Virtual disk 2 package is installed.

However, I think it might be possible with some programming jiggery-pokery. If you have, for example, a FAT32 USB stick mounted, the exFAT device is visible in the standard UI. If you eject the FAT32 stick, the USB storage option remains and the exFAT device is still accessible until you reboot. If after mounting an exFAT USB device, the system automatically mounted a virtual disk (like the virtual disk 2 package) and then unmounted the virtual disk after a slight delay, you would end up with the USB storage option available and the exFAT drive accessible.

No. It is only visible in the standard UI if another USB device (FAT32, NTFS, EXT2/3) is mounted too, or if the Virtual disk 2 package is installed.

That doesn't seem to be the case here, at least in my colleague's testing: he finds that nothing at all happens when he inserts his exFAT stick, regardless of whether another USB device is mounted.

That seems to be because it simply doesn't get mounted, so of course neither UI sees it.

The WebIF clicker does see its presence, but says:
  • CRUZER-16GB (Drive 1 - FAT - 16.0GB)
  • sdc (Device not mounted)
where sdc is the exFAT stick, and CRUZER is another stick, with FAT fs that is seen by the standard UI.

He can manually mount sdc, using the exFAT mount command that the pkg installs (but the standard UI still doesn't see it), but the "auto mount hooks" don't seem to be working for him.

Any ideas where/how to debug that, please?

To troubleshot I would try a different exFAT-formatted USB stick and then uninstall and reinstall the exFAT builder package in case something went awry with the installation.
I hadn't used an exFAT USB stick recently so I plugged one in to an HDR-FOX to make sure it was working as I remembered. The HDR-FOX already had a USB drive connected (NTFS). The exFAT USB stick automatically mounted as drive2 on sdc:
exFAT1.jpg
The exFAT device was also visible in the standard user interface:
exFAT2.jpg
After ejecting the NTFS drive, the exFAT drive remained mounted:
exFAT3.jpg
The exFAT device (and a network share) were still accessible through the Standard UI:
exFAT4.jpg

Thanks both; I was going to try those tests, and will check rag.log.

Out of interest: do you generally format your exFAT sticks on the Humax, or elsewhere? If the latter, under what OS (for ones you know do work?)

thanks again....

Apparently not (and it's the exfat-builder package, not the CF, that provides the support).

Apparently not (and it's the exfat-builder package, not the CF, that provides the support).
Er, yes.

Code:
humax# /mod/sbin/mkexfatfs
mkexfatfs 1.0.0
Usage: /mod/sbin/mkexfatfs [-i volume-id] [-n label] [-p partition-first-sector] [-s sectors-per-cluster] [-v] <device>

The version of the driver/utilities that are built by the exfat-builder package is 1.0.0.

Now, originally:

Note that this package does not add exFAT support to your system, only provides a simple method for you to do it yourself. This is because there are licence and patent issues around exFAT and if we were to make the compiled exFAT code available in the repository then we would be in violation of at least some of them.

however most Linux distributions do now provide pre-built packages for these exFAT utilities so I've done the same. exfat version 1.2.3 is now available from the repository as a standard package. If you have exfat-builder installed you will need to remove it in order to install this new one. You might find that this new version works better than the existing, although I've never had any problems with it.
(I format my sticks on the Humax directory or via MacOSX btw)

In terms of debugging the drive problem, there is a utility that comes with this package called dumpexfat which can at least be used to see if it can understand the filesystem:

Code:
humax# /mod/sbin/dumpexfat /dev/sdb1
dumpexfat 1.2.3
Volume label
Volume serial number  0xd4c6b793
FS version  1.0
Sector size  512

Er, yes.
Code:
humax# /mod/sbin/mkexfatfs
Oh, I was looking for something called mkfs.exfat as per the usual standard, which I now see is a link to mkexfatfs, but I didn't find it because /mod/sbin is not on the PATH unlike for the other mkfs.* utilities. Should have checked more carefully I s'pose...

Back