Experience of using pass-through HDR-2000T

Faust

Hello everyone,
New to this forum but a regular on some of the others.

I thought I would pass on my experiences of using pass-through on my new HDR-2000T. The 2000T was purchased to replace an ageing but loved Panasonic HDD - DVDR. Updating the firmware via USB was a simple straight forward affair - no issues.

The problems began once I started to use the 2000T ( I already own a HDR-1000s freetime box). I noticed that every time the 2000T entered a partial wake-up state in readiness to record a programme (15 minutes prior to programme start) I would lose the TV's own tuner signal for anything between 10 and 30 seconds (blank screen). The HDMI hub I am using would show an active connection at this point.

Once the 2000T released the connection the TVs own tuner would take over again and we could continue watching the programme.

Various suggestions were offered and I tried different HDMI cables, different leads, re-routed them etc. It was also mentioned that the Panasonic TVs HDMI auto select might be the culprit.

None of the solutions worked and so I have ended up using a passive splitter (less than a couple of quid). The splitter appears to be much the better option. No degradation of TV signal and no more problems with switching. I can now also use the low power state to save extra pennies.

It may be that most people have not experienced this issue but if they do I would recommend using a splitter.

For reference, this conversation started on AVForums HERE (click).

I am interested whether anyone confirms this observation; if they do, it's another cock-up by Humax. If they don't - it's a faulty box.

At least if it is faulty I have a 2 year guarantee with Humax and 5 with RS :)

I have pondered if the HDMI hub I use might have affected the operation. However, it's not powered in any way and the other products using it work without issue.

I do think having taken this route that using a splitter is a better solution, there again I would say that I suppose.

My HDR-2000T does not cut off the signal to the RF daisy chained TV in the circumstances described and neither does my TV show a blank screen in the circumstances described.

From the conversation on AVForums it is looking like the TV is auto-switching as a result of glitches on the HDMI, and not losing the aerial signal at all. I previously requested that the scenario is tested with the HDMI lead disconnected to prove whether the aerial pass-through is to blame, but no response so far.

At the request of Black Hole I have now completed further tests on my new HDR-2000T and the issue of signal loss using my Panasonic TVs tuner when the 2T is in partial wake state.

It has taken quite some time to carry out the tests as I notice that even if you set a programme to record that is some thirty minutes in the future, the HDMI port remains active even though the partial wake state doesn’t begin until 15 minutes before record time.

I have therefore had to set programmes to record that were at least 45 minutes in the future.

As Black Hole suggested I put the 2T back as previously i.e. using pass-through with low power saving switched off. This time I also switched off all other equipment, so the only live devices were the TV and the Humax. I used brand new 2 metre coaxial leads and routed them completely away from any other devices and as Black Hole suggested I disconnected the HDMI lead from the Humax.

I then went through the tedious task of watching Saturday morning TV via the TVs tuner waiting for the Humax to wake up. Bang on cue at 15 minutes before the programme was set to record a result. This time the TV did not go blank but instead there was momentary picture break-up, freezing and pixilation.

I then ran the test again, only this time I connected a brand new HDMI lead running it straight from the Humax to the TV. Again bang on 15 minutes before record time the same - momentary picture break-up, freezing and pixilation.

I then ran the test for the third time, still using the new HDMI lead but connected via the Neet HDMI hub. Sure enough 15 minutes before record time, same as happened originally i.e. momentary total signal loss.

I’m assuming that running the signal through a hub is just enough of a barrier to cause signal loss whereas running the lead direct the signal is maintained – just.

It does appear that the issue is generated by the Humax waking up.

I have now reverted to using a splitter as this causes no issues whatsoever and allows me to use low power saving.

Last edited:
Have you considered using the Hummy as your main means of watching TV. Effectively the TV then just becomes a monitor.
I and, to the best of my knowledge, Many others on this forum have done this for a long time now without problems.
The only draw back is when you want to record two programs and watch a third program ON A DIFFERENT MUX.
In the latter case you can always revert to the TV tuner.

One big advantage of this is that you then only need the Hummy remote control and rarely need to use the TV control - especially if you set the Hummy control up to handle the TV.

I only purchased the 2000T as a backup to my HDR-1000s which tends to be our main viewing device. The 2000T like the Panasonic HDD-DVDR before it only gets used when we want to record 3 or sometimes 4 things at the same time.
We use the Panasonic's tuner only when we aren't intending to sit down to watch any recordings or serious viewing e.g before our evening meal etc. for that sort of use the TVs own tuner is the best option with its 2 second start-up.

Besides, using a splitter is a good option as it separates each tuner, no signal degradation and let's the user take advantage of low power standby.

Last edited:
I then ran the test again, only this time I connected a brand new HDMI lead running it straight from the Humax to the TV. Again bang on 15 minutes before record time the same - momentary picture break-up, freezing and pixilation.

I then ran the test for the third time, still using the new HDMI lead but connected via the Neet HDMI hub. Sure enough 15 minutes before record time, same as happened originally i.e. momentary total signal loss.
I don't know what to think.

There seems to be a substantive difference between "momentary picture break-up, freezing and pixilation" (which is recognisable as a temporary loss or decrease in signal) and the 10-30 seconds of blank screen you reported earlier.

The latter correlates with the presence of the HDMI switch, except that (presumably) the problem goes away if you connect the aerial direct to the TV and not via the Humax pass-through.

This requires further investigation before it is conclusive.

There seems to be a substantive difference between "momentary picture break-up, freezing and pixilation" (which is recognisable as a temporary loss or decrease in signal) and the 10-30 seconds of blank screen you reported earlier.
Now that I can reproduce but not quite as described. With the 2000T aerial out daisy chained to the TV's aerial in, and power saving off, I have not been able to reproduce any pass through problems at all. What happens to the USB ports and HDMI being recognised by the TV are also totally different with power saving off.

With power saving in standby set to 'OFF', loop through to the TV remains totally in tact. Neither of the USB ports become active. Even when the recording starts the USB ports remain inactive. Under these circumstances the only way to activate the USB ports is to toggle the 2000T on and then off again, and the USB ports will then remain active until the recording has finished, providing there is not another recording due to start in the subsequent 40 minutes.
Additionally the TV I am using does not auto select on HDMI but that is probably irrelevant with the HDR-2000T when its power saving option is set to off. The TV can always detect the HDR-2000T's HDMI when the HDR-2000T's power saving is off, even in standby and no recordings set to start within the next 40 minutes.

Here is how I can reproduce the symptoms of momentary break up during the switch to active standby, the described activity on the USB ports and the described activity on the HDMI port (all of which I cannot get near reproducing when power saving is 'OFF') ...... :

It needs a reasonably good signal, I'm guessing one that can at least be split OK without using a powered splitter. My TV has fairly good tuners and demodulators including good error correction. When I use an aerial feed with a good signal and pass it through the HDR-2000T with power saving on, my TV shows a 100% quality picture though looking at the error correction count within the TV's menus there is a error correction going on compared to zero error correction when loop through is enabled.
Placing the HDR-2000T in to standby with power saving on at least 40 minutes before the recording then reproduces the initial standby symptoms that were described
I.e. USB ports not powered; TV does not recognise that anything is plugged into the HDMI port

Then (with power saving in standby still 'ON') loop through is enabled a few seconds after 18 minutes (same time as HDR-FOX T2s on 1.03.xx) before the scheduled start time of a recording, and the USB ports become powered, and the TV can now see that there is something connected on the HDMI port. During this change of standby state there is a very brief momentary picture break-up, very brief freezing; I'm guessing that this is the powered loop through being enabled.

In other words the only way I can reproduce the symptoms of picture interference, USB power and HDMI activity are with power saving in standby set to ON.

Interesting result, though as you know with my device it happens with power saving set to off. We do have very good signal, 100% quality with strength around 85%.

What I have noticed with power saving in standby set to off is that on wake up for a split second the LED turns blue and immediately red again.
Device works flawlessly using a splitter. The fault if it is correct to call it that has to be with the loop-through side of the 2T as it's present when no connection by HDMI is present.

I do suspect the HDMI hub is the issue with the complete blank screen though as that behaviour is only present when the hub is used. I think it may be grabbing the signal then taking a number of seconds before releasing it again. It doesn't happen when HDMI is a direct connection, though there is still momentary picture break up pixelation etc.

Either way given I am now using a passive splitter I am not that bothered, especially as it's a device that will only get occasional use - the 1000s being the main workhorse.

Last edited:
But if the HDMI hub (as you put it) causes a temporary black-out on the TV when the Humax starts recording, it should also do so with the aerial splitter instead of the pass-through and you are in just as bad a position.

But if the HDMI hub (as you put it) causes a temporary black-out on the TV when the Humax starts recording, it should also do so with the aerial splitter instead of the pass-through and you are in just as bad a position.

But it doesn't cause a temporary loss of signal when the 2T starts recording. The loss of signal is only seen on partial wake-up 15 minutes prior to the the recording starting. As the problem appears to be induced on the aerial side of the device and I have now bypassed that side of things it's no longer an issue.

The HDMI is not able to cause an issue on its own as the TV is using its own tuner and not on an AV input. I can only surmise that with pass-through enabled the TV was momentarily being switched onto the 2T HDMI input then being handed back to the TVs own tuner again, hence the blank screen and the delay.

Last edited:
Yes, by "when the Humax starts recording" I did indeed mean "when the Humax enters its half-awake state from standby 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start of a recording" (it was just a lot quicker to write).

Perhaps it's me, but the various observations you have reported don't seem to hang together and I am confused. What has happened to the 10-30 seconds black out which you attributed to the HDMI switch? Why wouldn't it continue to be a factor whether the aerial is connected directly to the TV or via the Humax pass-through?

Yes, by "when the Humax starts recording" I did indeed mean "when the Humax enters its half-awake state from standby 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start of a recording" (it was just a lot quicker to write).

Perhaps it's me, but the various observations you have reported don't seem to hang together and I am confused. What has happened to the 10-30 seconds black out which you attributed to the HDMI switch? Why wouldn't it continue to be a factor whether the aerial is connected directly to the TV or via the Humax pass-through?
I can't really answer your question with authority, I only report my observation and make a supposition. As reported previously the signal breakup without HDMI was on the cusp of total signal loss and once the HDMI was added to the mix it was enough to make the hub switch the AV input. This theory has credence as when the HDMI switching hub is taken out of the equation there is a reversion to breakup only. There is though definitely an issue with the aerial side of pass-through.

The hub is very good at what it does but is sensitive to signal activity. The very fact that the LED on input 2 on the hub (Humax box) lights up on wake-up shows it has become active . The theory works for me, the box is now working as expected and so it's job sorted. Without in depth testing I doubt the issue can be solved conclusively one way or the other.

Last edited:
Is the momentary blue machine on light immediately followed by red light normal operation?

I have noted this operational behaviour on device wakeup and device shutdown when planned recording has finished.

Last edited:
Having done further testing today I'm convinced the split second blue 'machine on' LED just prior to the red LED is linked to the signal interrupt (aerial only) or blank screen (if HDMI lead is connected).

I have checked this four times, even filming it to test the timing, and the blue light and signal interrupt are in perfect sync.

Last edited:
I found with the Sony Bravia TV the passthrough had to be set to OFF when using HDMI. This fixed all the problems and the TV still worked when the Humax was switched off.

I think you might have that the wrong way around. The setting is "low power in standby", which disables pass-through when set to "ON".

Back