Export SD from Aura via FTP

rew45

One of my two Fox T2s has failed (no signal), so I am reluctantly thinking of getting an Aura. I am aware that it has an FTP server, can I transfer SD Aura recordings to PC via FTP, if so will the recording be decrypted and viewable with VLC etc? I have seen something about this on the forum, but I can't find it again, please post a link if there is already an answer.
TIA. Richard

One of my two Fox T2s has failed (no signal), so I am reluctantly thinking of getting an Aura. I am aware that it has an FTP server, can I transfer SD Aura recordings to PC via FTP, if so will the recording be decrypted and viewable with VLC etc?.
Yes you can transfer via FTP and yes the SD recordings will not be encrypted. As far as I can see, the SD recordings are not encrypted by the Humax unlike the HDR-FOX T2. The HD recordings are encrypted.

As far as I can see, the SD recordings are not encrypted by the Humax unlike the HDR-FOX T2.
Have you examined the disk? If you are relying on the result of an FTP transfer for that assertion, you can't tell between these scenarios:
  • StDef recordings are not encrypted on-disk;
  • StDef recordings are encrypted on-disk, but decrypted in the process of FTP;
  • The disk volume uses an encrypted file system.

Have you examined the disk? If you are relying on the result of an FTP transfer for that assertion, you can't tell between these scenarios:
No because the box is still under warranty.
StDef recordings are encrypted on-disk, but decrypted in the process of FTP;
The FTP transfer rate is the same for encrypted and unencrypted recordings; I would expect a slower rate if recordings were being decrypted on the fly.
The disk volume uses an encrypted file system.
Why would they want to have an encrypted file system when HD recordings are certainly encrypted?[/QUOTE]

Why would they want to have an encrypted file system when HD recordings are certainly encrypted?
HiDef is not encrypted for broadcast, so using an encrypted file system is as good a way as protecting recordings on disk as any other. Encrypted file systems are an optional feature of Android.

The FTP transfer rate is the same for encrypted and unencrypted recordings; I would expect a slower rate if recordings were being decrypted on the fly.
File copy operations involving decryption are slower on the HDR-FOX hardware, but there's been 10 years in the mean time for the Aura's crypto hardware to become significantly faster. All I'm saying is it's a possibility which cannot be just ruled out.

HiDef is not encrypted for broadcast, so using an encrypted file system is as good a way as protecting recordings on disk as any other. Encrypted file systems are an optional feature of Android.
But when downloaded the recordings are encrypted; are you going to suggest that they are encrypted as part of the FTP transfer?
File copy operations involving decryption are slower on the HDR-FOX hardware, but there's been 10 years in the mean time for the Aura's crypto hardware to become significantly faster. All I'm saying is it's a possibility which cannot be just ruled out.
I agree it isn't certain that they are not encrypted but in my view it is the most likely possibility. There are other models of Humax PVRs where SD is not encrypted but HD is.[/quote][/QUOTE]

But when downloaded the recordings are encrypted; are you going to suggest that they are encrypted as part of the FTP transfer?
I would have expected the reverse. (Speculation) All recordings are encrypted on disk as they are recorded and the ftp server decrypts StdDef recordings - and if HiDef can be fetched at a StdDef resolution, it does that as well. (End speculation). Of course, that theory falls apart since you state that the ftp transfer rate is the same for encrypted and decrypted files.
There are other models of Humax PVRs where SD is not encrypted but HD is.
Are there? Neither the 1800/2000T nor the 4000/5000T fit that description. The 9150 doesn't receive HiDef. What model(s) are you thinking of?

Back