External HDD Problem

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I will fire up Linux to see if I can get any more info, but I have a 500GB Samsung USB2 HDD that works fine on the Humax, but plugged into a Win7 PC I get an access error. The drive appears in the explorer pane so it can't be formatted Ext3, and I think it would be NTFS. I now have the aggro of transferring a 5GB file by network instead of sneakernet!

I will report back with more info.

OK, more info (incidentally, it's a 750GB NTFS USB2 drive, not 500GB as stated before).

The message I get when trying to access the drive in Win7 (even after a reboot, and even trying a different USB port), noting that the drive is listed in Explorer, is:

USB HDD fault.png

So I booted a live CD of Lubuntu. The HDD works no problem in Linux, and Gnome Mplayer runs a HiDef TS off it absolutely fine.

Weird. Any suggestions?

It's technical, and it does apply to HDR-FOX. Trying to get your post count up?
How does it apply to the HDR-FOX? by not having a problem with it? You are are always the first person to instruct other users that they have posted in the wrong place, why does that rule not apply to you? My post count = 4772, your post count = 12457, I could ask you the same question

Are you two off again?
And just in case, I'm with EP and can't see the connection.

I started a topic, he commented about whether it is in the right place, I replied that I can't think of anywhere better... he could have left it at that (or not commented at all - I'm hardly a newbie around here). If you don't want the argument don't pick one.

Back to the plot:

Run Chkdsk?
"The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk"

Anything magic I can do in Linux, bearing in mind this is NTFS? All I can think of at the moment is to copy everything off in Linux and then reformat.

Anything magic I can do in Linux, bearing in mind this is NTFS? All I can think of at the moment is to copy everything off in Linux and then reformat.
Use fdisk to look at the partition table and confirm that it is NTFS. One explanation for the symptoms you are describing is that it has somehow been formatted etx2/3.

I had some weirdness when playing with the USB stick on my HD-Fox. I think the partition indicator said it was a Linux ID (83), but it was formatted FAT32. Windows was quite happy with it but the HD didn't want to know until I changed the ID to whatever FAT32 is.

Hmm. Chkdsk got further when run from an administrator command prompt. I think I'll back up the drive before I unleash -f.

How do I get to the raw partition table in Linux? GParted isn't showing me what I want - it just decodes the partition type as "NTFS" but doesn't want to tell me what the actual flag is.

Windows didn't like Linux writing to one of its partitions, and moving the USB HDD to another HDR-FOX doesn't show up all the folders within...

Back