Extracting to DVD

RobH1

I want to extract an HD programme from FoxT2 media to play on a DVD player.
I am up to date with CF and I use W7. Auto- unprotect removed the ENC flag and I then used Opt+ decrypt, downloaded the file to PC and burnt the result to a DVD which created the ability to play on any computer.
I am struggling with the step to convert the file in order to play a disc on a DVD player which according to the manual will play .ts files without DRM.
I have spent several hours searching the forum and came up with early results by Wallace and BH, the former recommended ingburn with AVCHD format to keep the 1920 x 1080 resolution and the latter proposed extracting mpg which is greyed out.
Is there an up to date method/download I can use to achieve the desired result?
Rob

Does your DVD player play back HD content?

If you do have a device that supports playing back HD ts streams try searching for tsMuxer.

I used to use this years ago for putting stuff on disc and it worked fine with the Humax files after decrypting and shrinking.

I am struggling with the step to convert the file in order to play a disc on a DVD player which according to the manual will play .ts files without DRM.
(The following is off the top of my head and the exact details might not be quite right...)

Here's your problem: a standard, normal, DVD, playable on any DVD player, is not HiDef. It contains a series of VOB files arranged in a very specific way, and produces the equivalent of 625-line analogue TV. The processes that have been discussed for getting recordings out of our HDRs and onto a DVD start with StDef (much closer to the target format), and go through a DVD authoring package of some kind to be re-encoded into DVD format.

Anything else is reliant on the capability of the player to accept a non-standard DVD, and most likely will read the disk as a data disk which can have any kind of data written to it just like any other kind of computer storage, and then it is a question of the source data being compatible with the media player that is installed in the DVD player. The first question is: what standard of data format does your player want, and is it the same as is written by your computer in data mode?

TS is a video container format, and actually the broadcast version is M2TS (not strictly TS). The video stream in broadcast TS is MPG with MP2 audio, but the video stream in HiDef broadcast is H.264 with AAC audio. So, if the player doesn't recognise the M2TS when the file extension is .ts, try renaming it .m2ts. If that doesn't work either, it probably can't cope with the video and/or audio formats within the container.

A DVD player will not in general have HiDef capability. That's the preserve of BluRay players.

Thanks BH, I'm glad I didn't read that before going to bed last night! :confused:

However, I was imprecise in saying DVD player as the resulting disc (hopefully) will be played on a Blu-ray player.

I'll get to it again when it rains!

That makes a big difference. In general BluRay players have much greater built-in capability to read all manner of optical storage media and formats, and as long as the disc is readable it should be treated as a data disc (unless it confirms to one of the standard commercial formats) and any files stored on it should play (as long as the container and stream types are supported).

You might still suffer from the broadcast TS actually being M2TS. If the player can't do M2TS (even with the file extension renamed), you should only need to re-multiplex the streams into a new container and not re-encode the streams themselves.

You might still suffer from the broadcast TS actually being M2TS. If the player can't do M2TS (even with the file extension renamed)
NO!
What gets broadcast over the air is a TS i.e. 188 byte packets.
What gets stored on disk by the Humax HDR Fox T2 (and what Blu-ray players use) is a M2TS i.e. 192 byte packets (even though the Humax gives them .ts extensions).
M2TS was invented for Blu-ray so it's ridiculous to say such a device "can't do M2TS".

Don't worry prpr, it all went over my head anyway! ( Apologies BH,I know you're just being helpful, but I need it less technical.) I'll simply try Ian_j's suggestion first and see how it goes.

Incidentally, I did create a data disc with my first attempt, the file showed up on the BD player with the title of the programme, but would not play.
As stated initially this played ok on another computer.

NO!
What gets broadcast over the air is a TS i.e. 188 byte packets.
What gets stored on disk by the Humax HDR Fox T2 (and what Blu-ray players use) is a M2TS i.e. 192 byte packets (even though the Humax gives them .ts extensions).
M2TS was invented for Blu-ray so it's ridiculous to say such a device "can't do M2TS".
Fair enough, useful detail but the same effect. I did say "If the player can't do M2TS".

Incidentally, I did create a data disc with my first attempt, the file showed up on the BD player with the title of the programme, but would not play.
As stated initially this played ok on another computer.
If the same disc runs on a PC and is readable by the BluRay but not playable, then it points to a format incompatibility regardless of prpr's comments above. Have you tried renaming it .m2ts?

BH, at what point do I rename it?
Pressing rename from opt+ shows the title of the programme less the.ts, does adding .mt2s at this point make any difference? Or do I download the .ts file to PC and rename it there before burning to disc?

... at what point do I rename it?
Pressing rename from opt+ shows the title of the programme less the.ts, does adding .mt2s at this point make any difference? Or do I download the .ts file to PC and rename it there before burning to disc?
download the .ts file to PC and rename it there before burning to disc

If you are that clueless, you also need to make sure the "burning" operation is for data not video (tell it to burn a video disc and the source material will be converted to DVD standard).

That is a bit rude and seems contradictory. 'make sure that it is set for data'. 'tell it to burn a video disc'???????

If you are that clueless, you also need to make sure the "burning" operation is for data not video (tell it to burn a video disc and the source material will be converted to DVD standard).
I was taught to respect my elders, but that comment is not called for.
I don't spend my days playing with computers as I have a life!
I didn't think after all these years on the forum I would feel I couldn't ask a simple question. Therefore please refrain from answering my questions unless you can restrain yourself from being offensive. I am thick skinned!!

I was taught to respect my elders, but that comment is not called for.
I don't spend my days playing with computers as I have a life!
I didn't think after all these years on the forum I would feel I couldn't ask a simple question. Therefore please refrain from answering my questions unless you can restrain yourself from being offensive. I am thick skinned!!

RobH1 1 - 0 BH

Thanks BH, I'm glad I didn't read that before going to bed last night! :confused:

However, I was imprecise in saying DVD player as the resulting disc (hopefully) will be played on a Blu-ray player.

I'll get to it again when it rains!

A blu-ray player will play back unencrypted HD content if it is mastered in AVCHD format on a DVD blank. AVCHD was jointly invented by Sony and Panasonic to allow creation of HD content on DVD blanks recorded by digital HD camcorders (which also use m2ts format files).

The above mentioned TSmuxer Gui will write a AVCHD format folder (note you may have to replace the aac audio with ac3 first).

Tsmuxergui can be used to remux the original file with a .ac3 file created from the original aac audio.

The process is much easier with unencrypted HD from a satellite source which natively uses ac3 audio.

This folder can be burnt to a DVD blank using software like IMGburn

These guides may help also works with .ts files (actually .m2ts)

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_mkv_to_avchd_for_ps3_and_blu-ray.cfm

http://www.proshowblog.com/2015/06/proshow-feature-spotlight-burn-hd-video-to-dvd/

Last edited:
RobH1 1 - 0 BH

Perhaps I should have my chainsaw ready!
For those members not in the loop, this refers to BH's ' Those of us at the top of the tree....etc', which I thought at the time to be incredibly arrogant.
But now that he has slighted me in such an unnecessary manner he has lost my
respect completely.
These threads should not go off at a tangent because of a snide remark and I thank those who have offered help.
When I make the time to continue the project I will post any result.
Rob

Back