Factory Reset

scook94

About 4 times now over the last few months when I've brought my Box out of standby I've had to run through the initial setup. All setup information has been lost and rescans required etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any clue as to why this might be happening? Loader version a7.34, S/w 1.03.12 Custom F/W 3.00

It is a rare occasional occurrence of unknown cause. You seem to have been particularly unlucky.

Custom Firmware helps, in that it can restore your recording schedule from a daily backup. I have been experimenting recently with the "Copy DB to USB" option on the hidden service menu, and demonstrated that it is possible to transfer the tuning information from machine to machine (and therefore restore the tuning for a machine that "forgets" it). The other settings can probably also be backed up and restored the same way.

Once you have your HDR configured to your liking (and every time you retune for new services), backup the DB to USB - then if you suffer another factory reset you can just copy it back.

More info: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/copying-tuning-from-one-hd-hdr-fox-to-another.5975/

Last edited:
Many thanks, I'll take a look.

It is rather frustrating, especially yesterday as it missed recording last night's Broadchurch! ;) I did notice that while restoring the Schedule from a backup that the last backup taken seemed to be corrupt. I wonder if it's something to do with the way I'm scheduling recordings, something I'll bear in mind for the next time it happens.

Have you updated your packages lately? There was a bug in the schedule restore process which affected schedule entries for some minor channels, but was fixed very recently.

@scook94. Do you use WiFi, and do you find that it loses the WiFi settings sometimes, in addition to the wizarding? Black Hole is right that occasionally a unit will reset itself for reasons unknown. Regular occurrences can be due to problems with the one of the databases stored in flash memory. Next time you get the wizard, run through it as quickly as possible (exit from the tuning section without storing channels) and reset the unit to factory defaults. Don't tick the 'format HDD' box, or you will lose your recordings. The unit will reboot and you will get the installation wizard again. This time, the flash-stored databases will have been reset too and it may make your system more stable.

Thanks I'll also try that the next time. I do use Wifi, but rarely has it lost it's config. I do find that it takes several attempts for it to store the manually entered, static IP once I've ran through the wizard. Often it'll default back to DHCP or a random static IP. Once it finally "gets it", it's usually stable though.

Lots to try and think about for the next time it happens, many thanks chaps.

As I have found out, if you have to manually force the WiFi to connect it defaults to DHCP. This can be solved by allocating the IP address to that device in the router configuration, then the DHCP request will receive the IP address you want (in effect a static address). The wireless-helper package forces the WiFi to connect before the Humax operational code boots up and avoids the default to DHCP, but that won't help if the factory reset has cleared out the config.

Defining "sticky" (nice term, thanks prpr) addresses at the router this way is the best of all worlds - it means you can manage the network in one place, but still have known addresses for your devices where necessary. The reason an IP address might need to be specified manually in the device's settings is if the boot process fails to negotiate DHCP properly - eg when the device is connected by Powerline adapters (HomePlug) and these don't wake up quickly enough for the DHCP negotiation to take place before it times out.

As I have found out, if you have to manually force the WiFi to connect it defaults to DHCP. This can be solved by allocating the IP address to that device in the router configuration, then the DHCP request will receive the IP address you want (in effect a static address). The wireless-helper package forces the WiFi to connect before the Humax operational code boots up and avoids the default to DHCP, but that won't help if the factory reset has cleared out the config.

Defining "sticky" (nice term, thanks prpr) addresses at the router this way is the best of all worlds - it means you can manage the network in one place, but still have known addresses for your devices where necessary. The reason an IP address might need to be specified manually in the device's settings is if the boot process fails to negotiate DHCP properly - eg when the device is connected by Powerline adapters (HomePlug) and these don't wake up quickly enough for the DHCP negotiation to take place before it times out.

Sadly my Belkin router doesn't appear to have this option. :cry:

Technicolor 582n?

homepage.jpg

If it's anywhere, IP address configuration should be allocated by detected devices under "Home Network". It works by a device on the network (or coming onto the network) being detected by its unique MAC address. The device management options should allow you to assign a name to the device that will appear in the control panel as a synonym for the MAC, and (hopefully) also let you modify the IP address allocated to it and/or set an infinite lease time (never expire).

I think this is the screen you need - Home>Home Network> Devices>PVR (PVR is the name I have allocated to the Humax). Once the Humax is connected then the option to always use the same IP address should be ticked.

upload_2015-1-21_23-7-27.png

The screen I posted was all I could find on t'Web - I don't have one of these myself. From your screenshot it looks like you have no control over the IP address, or whether it is assigned by DHCP - only the ability to fix the IP address once allocated. That's not very nice, why are Plusnet sending out such crap routers?

Sadly mine is a TG589vn, and the GUI seems to be really broken - I can change settings to anything I want, but it just ignores them.
Fortunately it does seem to always allocate the same IP address (mostly).
I have achieved more than I could initially, mostly be editing the saved configuration file (which is purely text)

I can change settings to anything I want, but it just ignores them
I had the same problem with a netgear router. Are you using IE, as using FireFox fixed the non-update of the router for me. Seems like netgear routers don't like IE.

I'm using FF - IE only gets used for those sites which demand it!
I've used a few Netgear routers, and had no problems.
I noticed that more than a few people had problems with this particular series of router from Technicolour/Thomson

The screen I posted was all I could find on t'Web - I don't have one of these myself. From your screenshot it looks like you have no control over the IP address, or whether it is assigned by DHCP - only the ability to fix the IP address once allocated. That's not very nice, why are Plusnet sending out such crap routers?
You are right in all your assumptions (especially the 'crap' part). DHCP can only be set from the client and more frustratingly I cannot set DHCP ranges.
It basically does the job but am waiting for them to do a fibre modem/router (in one box) before I do anything else. If anyone can recommend one it would be most appreciated - it seems that they are yet to really get off the ground.

Back