Failed Recording of New BBC Four HD Channel

Just a bit of a tweek to 5) above, ensure that the Humax FTP server is off and then install the CFW betaftpd package, it is much more stable. But much more importantly, DONT carry out 5) above until you can see the green 'DEC' icon against the recording on the Web-If, if you do the recording will be made permanently unplayable

Is this problem with HD recording universal, or is it only affecting certain transmitters? Over the last couple of weeks I have recorded 20 or so programmes on BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD, with both padding and AR, on 2 HDR-Foxes and not had a problem. Is this just luck? I am on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

Just wait for the 'must have' recording and I bet it will fail!

There doesn't seem any pattern to it. I can successfully record several programmes OK, then I get a a run of those that fail. Appears to be completely random. I use the SD variants for now. No big deal for me as I don't record much on those channels anyway. But I would like it sorting as it's randomness is really frustrating. I would rather it fail 100% of the time than be this hit-and-miss.

Just used the MET guide plus Ezra's variant on 5 and it worked - first time! So a big thank you for that :hug:
(Just for info, for FTP I have the FireFTP plug-in running inside Firefox which worked fine.)

So tonight the acid test will be The Bridge II. (But such is my faith in Mr. Murphy's predictions that I've woken the 9200 from it's hibernation to record it in SD as well.) (And there should be iPlayer too, so I think we're covered.)

Is this problem with HD recording universal, or is it only affecting certain transmitters? Over the last couple of weeks I have recorded 20 or so programmes on BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD, with both padding and AR, on 2 HDR-Foxes and not had a problem. Is this just luck? I am on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

On my limited number of tests I've had 100% success on BBC3 HD and 100% failure on BBC4 HD. Bleurgh!

Monty... Said that he had no problems and is on Sutton Coldfield transmitter. Are any of the people with failed recordings on the same transmitter.

It could be worth while people identifying which transmitter they are on when they experience a failure.

There might be a correlation ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have now set up a poll to see if a trend appears. Of course, some of the transmitters involved may have few forum members nearby, so sample size may be an issue.

Just a bit of a tweek to 5) above, ensure that the Humax FTP server is off and then install the CFW betaftpd package, it is much more stable. But much more importantly, DONT carry out 5) above until you can see the green 'DEC' icon against the recording on the Web-If, if you do the recording will be made permanently unplayable
Thanks for pointing this out. I have now edited my post to make it clear not to proceed until the file has been decrypted.

Just wait for the 'must have' recording and I bet it will fail!

There doesn't seem any pattern to it. I can successfully record several programmes OK, then I get a a run of those that fail. Appears to be completely random. I use the SD variants for now. No big deal for me as I don't record much on those channels anyway. But I would like it sorting as it's randomness is really frustrating. I would rather it fail 100% of the time than be this hit-and-miss.
As an aside, do you post as Wendolene on another forum? If so, is there any cross-dressing involved? ;)

Ha.

If you are talking about AVForums, yes. Although I have recently changed my username there to something more appropriate (and the correct gender!).

No cross-dressing involved or any other agenda. It was just that when I signed up to AVForums, my usual name, Wallace, was taken. Not only that, other characters were unavailable too! As I am a BIG W&G fan, I defaulted to Wendolene. I have since regretted it as it can lead to confusion.

I recently noticed that the forum had the ability to change my user name (a max of five changes allows apparently), so I took that option.

I haven't yet tried recording anything from the new HD channels but I've set a few recordings on BBC4 HD now (Emley Moor)

HDR Fox T2, Heathfield Sussex transmitter.
No COM 7 MUX as yet , so can only comment on BBC3 HD.
Since service started mid Dec all recordings have failed (0 mins). No problems with older HD channels.

I haven't yet tried recording anything from the new HD channels but I've set a few recordings on BBC4 HD now (Emley Moor)
My failures on my HDRs are very consistant. An HDR either records BBC3 HD and CBBC HD fails. While with another HDR (both were tuned to Sudbury) the position is reversed.
I'd be interested if CBeebies HD passes or fails for you when later that day BBC4HD does the opposite.

I've got 1 minute repeat timers setup on each PVR for recording CBBCHD and BBC3HD near the very begimnning and end of their time slots, so it's been easy to monitor.

Is it a coincidence that the raw data on the webif EPG for these channels is a bit scrambled? The EPG synopsis on the webif reads the information o.k but the layout when you click the 'view raw data' option is unreadable. I havent noticed this on the other channels.

Is it a coincidence that the raw data on the webif EPG for these channels is a bit scrambled?
No, the EPG information for these channels is compressed so the raw view will show the compressed data.

In order to get access to the Huffman tables required for decompression, it is necessary to sign an agreement with the BBC...

Over the last couple of weeks I have recorded 20 or so programmes on BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD, with both padding and AR, on 2 HDR-Foxes and not had a problem. Is this just luck? I am on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.
I am also on Sutton Coldfield and have never had a 'new HD' recording failure, unfortunately due to hand-fistedness, I have inadvertently logged a problem against Sutton Coldfield in your Poll which can't be removed, it will be interesting to see if there are any 'real' problems

As it seems to be totally random, could weather conditions at the time the recording ended be another consideration. Before the switchover our digital signal was very sensitive to the weather because we are not in direct sight of the transmitter, and are in the shadow of a few hills / mountains. ktmp_IMG_20140104_2358332092883501.JPG

When a programme is recorded after it has started it takes 30s for it to appear in the media list. The HDR then will calculate its (estimated) duration presumably based on the current network time and scheduled finish. If that recording is stopped(e.g. after 2 minutes) when it is finalised the true programme duration is then calculated (again using the network time). What if due to the lie of the land and the weather the HDR was unable to get a network time when the recording finished and thus assigns the end time the (exact) same time as the start time. The attached is a screen shot of a failed recording of Osec duration.

Back