Failed Recording of New BBC Four HD Channel

My problem is there lot's of interference on bbc four hd when I try and view the channel live. Same on bbc news hd and aljazeera (I can do without the latter!). I'm in Edinburgh and have tried retuning. Records the same picture with interference.

Any thoughts?

Forgot to say reception for all the hd channels (including Al Jazeera...) was perfect up until the last few days. All seemed to go wrong when I also tried to record the bridge on four hd?

... Even then, if you have undelete installed (and enough free disk space to run the waste basket) the original can still be rescued if you notice the problem in time.

Aha! I didn't realise that. Thanks for that tip.
I'll have a look.
Yes, I have found the originals buried in "/ media /My Video /[Deleted Items] /webif_autodecrypt". Interesting that webif has created its own little folder in there. Or does it do that in the root during decryption and I just didn't see it?
That undelete is an amazingly useful thing - I rarely 'use' it, but it's wonderful to have it when needed.

My problem is there lot's of interference on bbc four hd when I try and view the channel live. Same on bbc news hd and aljazeera (I can do without the latter!). I'm in Edinburgh and have tried retuning. Records the same picture with interference.

Forgot to say reception for all the hd channels (including Al Jazeera...) was perfect up until the last few days. All seemed to go wrong when I also tried to record the bridge on four hd?

Are you sure that your retune didn't pick up duplicate channels? Where I am in Edinburgh I can pick up transmissions from both Black Hill and Craigkelly on my main aerial, even though they're ninety degrees apart and the aerial is pointing bang at Craigkelly. Every retune I do on the main TV and the Humax has to be manual in order to avoid duplicates from Black Hill.

I did a test recording of BBC4HD before Christmas and that failed. Saturday just gone I set it to record The Bridge II on both SD and HD and all recordings were successful. I'm sticking with SD for unattended recordings for now, though, until there's a confirmed fix for the problem.

Humax Facebook page:

site not allowing me to post link, but it's facebook slash HumaxUK

"Check back here tomorrow as we are releasing an update!"

Richard

Humax Facebook page:

site not allowing me to post link, but it's facebook slash HumaxUK

"Check back here tomorrow as we are releasing an update!"
But nothing to suggest which of the Humax boxes they are referring to; I doubt that it will be for the HDR-FOX T2.

Are you sure that your retune didn't pick up duplicate channels? Where I am in Edinburgh I can pick up transmissions from both Black Hill and Craigkelly on my main aerial, even though they're ninety degrees apart and the aerial is pointing bang at Craigkelly. Every retune I do on the main TV and the Humax has to be manual in order to avoid duplicates from Black Hill.

I did a test recording of BBC4HD before Christmas and that failed. Saturday just gone I set it to record The Bridge II on both SD and HD and all recordings were successful. I'm sticking with SD for unattended recordings for now, though, until there's a confirmed fix for the problem.

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying I need to manually tune bbc4 hd only or would it be all channels?

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying I need to manually tune bbc4 hd only or would it be all channels?

If you only want to re-tune the BBC4HD mux then you'd have to do a manual re-tune - there's no other way.

If you want to do a full re-tune then you have the option of doing an automatic one and then deleting any duplicates, but you run the risk of the proper versions of certain channels ending up in the 800s* (although I believe the more recent firmware is better at avoiding this). I always do manual re-tunes as a matter of habit.

If you have the custom firmware then it can restore your recording schedule and favourites that get wiped by re-tuning, and can automatically delete any channels you know you never want (eg anything with "ADULT" in the channel name).

* My TV is better for this, because I can put the proper versions back on their correct LCNs once I've deleted the duplicates. AFAIK you can't do this on the Humax.

My TV is better for this, because I can put the proper versions back on their correct LCNs once I've deleted the duplicates. AFAIK you can't do this on the Humax.
You can with the CF renumber package. I prefer to control the tuning process and accept the standard LCNs, others like to rearrange the HiDef channels into the low numbers. Any renumbering away from the "standard" means breaking the link with advertised service LCNs.

Advice for handling multiple transmitters (if you want them) is HERE (click).

Hello everyone. A very informative forum.

Does anyone know if there has been official word from Humax about the BBC4HD recording problem? None of my recordings on this channel have been successful (although a quick check with Foxy and a laptop as detailed above shows that the recordings have actually been made) and there was no response to my email about it.

Haven't recorded a lot from 3/4 HD, but three I definitely have:- The Bridge II x2 from 4 HD (failed, 0 length, decrypt and fixed) and an Indiana Jones film from 3 HD (recorded OK)). All three have at some point suffered a couple of seconds sound glitch, each about 30 mins in I think. Hard to describe, but a sort of murgling of the sound - not a loss. Only once in each program and just for a few seconds. Picture is fine throughout.

I don't ever recall getting this effect on any of the four main HD channels, so I wonder if is something to do with these two new channels? And does it relate to the failure issues? Probably just coincidence, but I'm a bit like the Holmes brother's with them - what are the chances?

Strangely The Bridge recorded OK last night - the one time we watched it live of course (connection?).
Checking the files on ftp just now I realised that previously, as well as the 0 length nts file there was no thm file at all. I'm sure these were mentioned somewhere a while back (in this thread) but search won't accept thm as valid, so I can find it now.
Is the lack of thm the reason for the no play, rather than the 0 long nts?

Strangely The Bridge recorded OK last night - the one time we watched it live of course (connection?).
Checking the files on ftp just now I realised that previously, as well as the 0 length nts file there was no thm file at all. I'm sure these were mentioned somewhere a while back (in this thread) but search won't accept thm as valid, so I can find it now.
Is the lack of thm the reason for the no play, rather than the 0 long nts?
The thm file is created when the box boots from standby, or when the recording is played.

I have never experienced that. Mine have only created them overnight, or when the recording is played
When you say overnight, I presume you mean the 4:30am OTA check. Have you tried rebooting your box after you have made a new recording? I had a batch of 3 new recordings made earlier today, these had no thumbnails so I have just rebooted the box, and they now have thumbnails. I suggest that you try it some time.:)

Back