Failed Recording of New BBC Four HD Channel

I don't think anybody has said whether they are using AR or auto-padding. If you are unaware of the relevance, see Things Every... (click) section 3.
Like most people, I am using AR as I always do, and have successfully recorded scheduled programmes on BBC THREE HD, and BBC FOUR HD without any problems. My signal is coming from Winter Hill.

I have the same problem. After retuning, the new channels (BBC 4 HD, BBC News HD and Al Jazeera HD; haven't tried BBC3 HD) display the live programme normally with the Humax HDR Fox T2 but BBC 4 HD failed to timer-record Hidden Killers or Byzantium last night (showing recording failed and less than 30 sec recorded).

I receive from Crystal Palace and signal quality shows as 100%, signal strength 78%.
I have not had any failed recordings so far (including Hidden Killers) on any of the new HD channels. This is from the Crystal Palace transmitter and using AR.

If anyone is still having problems recording any of the new HD channels, I think it would help narrow down the cause if they all reported the same data e.g.

New or old hardware ( horizontal or vertical UHF connectors)
Which Firmware Version
Which CFW Version
AR or Padding used
Instant, Manual or schedule recording etc.
Which TV transmitter was used
Which TV channel was recorded
Name of TV programme
Obviously whether the recording was successful or not

If anyone is still having problems recording any of the new HD channels, I think it would help narrow down the cause if they all reported the same data e.g.

New or old hardware (vertical or horizontal UHF connectors) BOTH
Which Firmware Version 1.03.06
Which CFW Version 2.20
AR or Padding used AR
Instant, Manual or schedule recording etc. SCHEDULED
Which TV transmitter was used WINTER HILL
Which TV channel was recorded BBC THREE HD & BBC FOUR HD
Obviously whether the recording was successful or not SUCCESSFULL
Just for the record, I have added my details in RED above.

Try BBC THREE HD.

BBC Four HD is reported to work but gives problems with subtitles. So far not found anyone that can record BBC Three HD on any Humax Freeview PVR using any available recording method.

Not for you at all, thanks for the info. It could be that all problems with BBC 3 HD arise from those with no COM 7 access from their transmitter, hence no way to record BBC 4 HD using Freeview.

It's a very weird situation.

I have test recordings set for tonight, interesting to see if they work or fail.

So far can't find any reports of problems with non Humax boxes, and plenty of reports from all Humax Freeview HD boxes with recording capability.

Argh. The recording of Jet!... On BBC Four HD has failed!

Strangely it show as being 3.22GB in the media library in the WebIf having been shrunk and decrypted. Yet I get 0 min recording and a message that the recording is less than 30 when I try to play it.

This is my first BBC four HD failure.

I will copy it onto my PC and see if it plays there. If it does, I will transfer it to my second HDR and see if it plays there too!

Watch this space.

I have noticed will the files are copying that the .nts file has a file size of 0 (zero)

Winter Hill, CF 2.20, OF 1.03.06, horizontal tuners.

Just started an instant recording of Great Movie Mistakes on BBC3 HD using my HD Fox-T2. Will give it a few minutes. Have also set up a scheduled recording for 22:00.

Martin

There seems to be a slight problem with my BBC THREE HD recording of Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide. I went to check it in my recordings, and it was showing as 0min and when attempting to play it, I got the "Recording (less than 30 secs) may not be stored." message.

The strange thing is that the recording IS stored, it is shown in the webif media files as 3.34GiB. I am currently watching this recording via the web interface player.

Yes Brian. Just finished copying over my 'failed' BBC Four HD program to my PC and it plays perfectly with Splash Player. So the recording is intact, shrunk and decrypted successfully yet it wont play on the HDR!

Out of pure curiosity I will transfer it to my second HDR. I will include the sidecar files too.

Could it be connected to the fact that the .nts filesize is o (zero)? All other recordings I have copied to my PC have .nts file much larger.

The 12 minute instant recording on BBC3 HD went ok and played ok. Will set up a few more recordings after 22:00 on BBC3HD and BBC4HD and report tomorrow. I will also set up matched recordings on my TVonics HD500 and see if it has any problems.

New or old hardware (vertical or horizontal UHF connectors) Old
Which Firmware Version 1.02.28
Which CFW Version None
AR or Padding used AR
Instant, Manual or schedule recording etc. Instant
Which TV transmitter was used Emley Moor
Which TV channel was recorded BBC3HD
Name of TV programme Great Movie Mistakes 2013
Obviously whether the recording was successful or not Successful

Martin

It can't be right. I bet that's the problem. I am transferring all the files to my second HDR as I write this so I will see if it plays there. I bet it doesn't.

It must be down to how the .nts file is created. What we need now is a genious to figure it out. Where is af123 when you need him? :).

EDIT: As expected it doesn't play. usual message, 0 minute, blah, blah.

EDIT, EDIT: I am using AV2HDR to see if it creates working side-car files.

EDIT, EDIT, EDIT: It has created a .nts file of 5,719k. I will copy all the 'new' files to the original HDR and then see if it plays.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: It plays but no sound. I guess I selected the wrong sound track in AV2HDR. I had a choice of 202 or 204 (whatever that means). I selected 202. I will try again selecting 204. But it does play!

EDIT, EDIT, EDIT, EDIT, EDIT: Nope. No matter which audio track I choose, the file plays but does not have any sound.

I am stumped now, but hopefully have highlighted something helpful...

I used AR both times, i.e unsuccessfully initially & now successfully on BBC 4 HD. Box is HDR Fox T2 1TB and transmitter is Crystal Palace.

Gerry

Well, Well, Well.....:( :(
I've got two of these boxes, one is approx two years old running standard software 1.02.28, loader a7.30 , the other is about a month old running standard software 1.02.29 loader a7.33 . Both boxes were set to record BBC 4HD @ 19.00 & 20.00 tonight (it was an error I'm getting on a bit :() ....... The older box recorded OK, the new box didn't! It failed with the 30 second error message. ........Problem with the 1.02.29 software?

Edit: I've set up both boxes to record identical programmes later tonight on BBC3 HD & BBC4 HD. I'll update tomorrow what happens

Gerry

I am stumped now, but hopefully have highlighted something helpful...
Have you tried the new .nts along with the original .ts?

You could also try removing the sidecar files leaving just the .ts and see if that plays.

Yes. The HDR still reports recording <30 seconds etc. I will remove the side-car files as suggested in a moment. Just got out of the bath!!!

YES. The original .ts file will play fine on the HDR when the .nts file is removed. However, you loose the the ability to ad bookmarks, FF etc.

Back