Failed Recording of New BBC Four HD Channel

Sorry, I delete my 'failed' recordings. But I have auto-decrypt enabled anyway so they were already decrypted.

That it auto-decrypted suggests the recordings could also be viewed by DLNA (as a work-around), but being HiDef only on another HD/HDR-FOX!
Yes they do play on another HD/HDR-FOX.

Could somebody with a failed recording (and no auto-decryption) please try just deleting the .nts?
I've deleted the .nts from an encrypted unshrink copy that was residing on external media and still get the <30 second message when trying to play it.

I've deleted the .nts from an encrypted unshrink copy that was residing on external media and still get the <30 second message when trying to play it.
Have you tried removing the .hmt file as well?

Is it worth comparing a set of recorded files from both failing and non failing units?, my HDR-Fox T2 hasn't failed to record on either BBC Three HD or BBC Four HD (yet !), so I can post a set of working files if it is of any use

I set up two instant recordings last night on my HDR and one on my HD, on channels that, previously, the boxes had not failed to record using AR. They were the last ~30minutes of BBC4HD's Nigel Slater's Great British Biscuit and BBC3HD's Kung-Fu Panda. Both ended at 2200.

The recordings are playable with the correct times shown in the media list.

Martin

Prior to today I haven't had any non-zero .nts files with the new HD channels.
Today my 1.03.06(cf) had decided to record the extra CBBC HD programmes impeccably, while my 1.02.20(cf) which had exactly the same timers and as far as I am aware the same settings continued to create the zero .nts files. Before I put them into standby I switched the on screen channel to 302 as well in an attempt to treat the two HDR-FOXs identically.

The only differences in how I've treated them is that the 1.02.20 has disable-ota, and I last night I installed and uninstalled auto-unprotect on the 1.03.06 but I can't see how that would have made any difference and caused the 1.03.06 to start working.

This is a problem then. My work-around won't work without first decrypting the .ts, which for HiDef isn't very practical without CF.

Overnight recording experience with my HDR (1.02.28) - previously failed to record properly BBC3HD and BBC4HD using AR - and my HD (1.02.28) - previously failed to record properly BBC4HD using AR. All recordings separated in time by non-recorded programmes.

Last night, starting from BBC1, I set up sequential BBC4HD recordings (from 00:00 to 03:00) on the HD and the same on the HDR with both BBC3HD (from 23:45 to 03:00) and BBC4HD.

The HDR recorded all programmes successfully - a first for non-instant recordings.
The HD, as before, recorded the programmes but are marked as being 0 minutes in length and thus not playable.

Martin

Not much change here I'm afraid :(.

I have two HDR T2's. One about two years old and the other 5 or 6 weeks old. Both standard software.

Tried a test last night to see if anything had changed.

Set up 'Byzantium' at 2100 on BBC4 HD & 'Him & Her Wedding' at 2200 on BBC3HD on both boxes.

New Box: Both recordings successful.

Old Box: BBC4 recording successful
BBC3 recording failed '0' minutes etc.

Failure still inconsistent when compared with my previous tests.

Gerry

I have given up testing now TBH. You think the problem is resolved when you have a couple of successful recordings and then you have a failure. It is far too unreliable to chance it. Until the issue is sorted, I will only record from the SD variants, but will continue to view live broadcasts in HD.

Thank goodness that the other HD channels record OK. Kinda weird really. I wonder what the difference is?

What software are the old and new boxes using?
MENU >> System Information >> 2nd line down where the software version will be something like 'FHTCP 1.02.28'

In what way inconsistant?

I have given up testing now TBH. You think the problem is resolved when you have a couple of successful recordings and then you have a failure. It is far too unreliable to chance it. Until the issue is sorted, I will only record from the SD variants, but will continue to view live broadcasts in HD.
Very wise.:)
Thank goodness that the other HD channels record OK. Kinda weird really. I wonder what the difference is?
Four out of the 5 new HDs are shared channels e.g. BBC3/CBBC and CBeebies/BBC4. Perhaps its a coin toss which one the NTS creation code goes for? Although if it works for SD having 2 channels using the same bandwidth I'd expect it to also work on HD.
Have there been any reported problems with BBC News HD?

I haven't read of any issues with BBC News HD. But I suspect that the percentage of users recording from it are very low. I might try some test recordings later. Although quite what that will prove is anyone's guess if it is as inconsistent as BBC Three/Four HD.

What software are the old and new boxes using?
MENU >> System Information >> 2nd line down where the software version will be something like 'FHTCP 1.02.28'

In what way inconsistant?

Inconsistent inasmuch sometimes the older box fails to record & sometimes the new one. See my copied & pasted post below from Page 4 of this topic:-

""Below are the results of my test last night:-

OLD BOX

BBC3 HD (AR recording) 22.25 The Revolution.......... Failed recording, '0' minutes
BBC4 HD (AR recording) 22.00 Arena......Successful recording.

NEW BOX

BBC3 HD (AR recording) 22.25 The Revolution..........Successful recording.
BBC4 HD (AR recording) 22.00 Arena......Successful recording.

No pattern there then! :( :(.""

Another posting of mine below show the software versions:-

Well, Well, Well.....:( :(
I've got two of these boxes, one is approx two years old running standard software 1.02.28, loader a7.30 , the other is about a month old running standard software 1.02.29 loader a7.33 . Both boxes were set to record BBC 4HD @ 19.00 & 20.00 tonight (it was an error I'm getting on a bit :() ....... The older box recorded OK, the new box didn't! It failed with the 30 second error message. ........Problem with the 1.02.29 software?

Edit: I've set up both boxes to record identical programmes later tonight on BBC3 HD & BBC4 HD. I'll update tomorrow what happens

Gerry
Greecian, Sunday at 9:20 PM

HTH

Gerry

Not much change here I'm afraid :(.

I have two HDR T2's. One about two years old and the other 5 or 6 weeks old. Both standard software.

Tried a test last night to see if anything had changed.

Set up 'Byzantium' at 2100 on BBC4 HD & 'Him & Her Wedding' at 2200 on BBC3HD on both boxes.

Gerry
My HDR Fox T2 (now with firmware 1.02.32) recorded Byzantium 3 from BBC4 HD at 21:00 last night with no problems. I have not had a failure for several days now. Having said that, I have not tried recording from BBC3 HD (a bit long in the tooth for that sort of thing, perhaps :().

My HDR Fox T2 (now with firmware 1.02.32) recorded Byzantium 3 from BBC4 HD at 21:00 last night with no problems. I have not had a failure for several days now. Having said that, I have not tried recording from BBC3 HD (a bit long in the tooth for that sort of thing, perhaps :().

Until someone to admits to what's wrong, Humax or the BBC or whoever and a solution is provided , we just can't trust these boxes to record BBC3 HD & BBC4 HD .......Like you, sloph, my tooth is very long:( , I don't often look at BBC3..

Gerry

I agree. We have no knowledge of what the problem actually is, so cannot know whether there is anything we can do about it or how to tell when it has been fixed.

It was just a hope that by observing the instances some pattern might emerge from which to hypothesise the cause. So far, zilch.

Back