Failed Recording of New BBC Four HD Channel

Sorry, being a bit thick here, I've done a full auto retune and now just want to manually retune bbc4hd. Can I do that?
If you have just done a full auto-retune, you should not need to do a manual tune for BBC FOUR HD. Which transmitter are you receiving from?

Strangely The Bridge recorded OK last night - the one time we watched it live of course (connection?).
Checking the files on ftp just now I realised that previously, as well as the 0 length nts file there was no thm file at all. I'm sure these were mentioned somewhere a while back (in this thread) but search won't accept thm as valid, so I can find it now.
Is the lack of thm the reason for the no play, rather than the 0 long nts?
No, THM files have not been mentioned - they are only thumbnail files that produce the key frame in the media listing. They will not be created for a failed recording, and as Brian says get created on boot or when the file is played. You are probably confusing THM with HMT.

For tips re forum searches, see HERE (click).

No, THM files have not been mentioned - they are only thumbnail files that produce the key frame in the media listing. They will not be created for a failed recording, and as Brian says get created on boot or when the file is played. You are probably confusing THM with HMT.
OK.
No, not confusing those two, I've been deleting hmt and nts files for the last couple of weeks. It was just the sudden (re)appearance of the thm files in my 'Bridge' folder made me wonder.

For tips re forum searches, see HERE (click).
Thanks. I'd forgotten about the Google option - must give it a go to try and cement it in my brain.

Sorry, being a bit thick here, I've done a full auto retune and now just want to manually retune bbc4hd. Can I do that?

You can re-tune the multiplex (bundle of TV channels on one UHF channel) that BBC4 HD is broadcast on. You will lose any scheduled recordings for all the TV channels on that multiplex, but the recording schedule for TV channels on other multiplexes will be unaffected. Given that there aren't many other channels on the COM7 multiplex that BBC4 HD is part of, I imagine that won't be a major problem.

If you're receiving your TV from the Craigkelly transmitter near Burntisland in Fife then the COM7 multiplex is on UHF channel 33. From the Black Hill transmitter near to the M8, about half way between Glasgow and Livingston, then you need UHF channel 32.

Remember to set the Transmission type on the manual re-tune screen to DVB-T2, otherwise the HD multiplex won't be seen.

I have been away for 2 weeks. My HD and HDR were set to record American Dad on BBC3HD and The Bridge II on BBC4HD.

All recordings have associated times >0 minutes and the sampled episodes play ok.

Martin

I noticed the 0nts problem on BBC3 tonight. A recording in progress in webif showed nts file 0bytes. The TV was on standby and no other equipment nearby on. I plugged out the HDMI from the HDR and checked for the recording on webif but couldn't find it. I reconnected the HDMI and turned on the TV. It had error dialogue 'Terrestrial reciever has been short circuited'. As I could not get rid of the message (incidentally the broadcast was visible behind the short circuit message) I turned the HDR off with the switch at the back. When the HDR rebooted the programming recorded with a functional nts file. I don't know if this would make sense to anyone.

The first screen shot is from the first portion of the recording (thanks to undelete)

tmp_Screenshot_2014-01-25-22-43-22~2~26691194.jpg

The second screenshot is from the successful recording after the HDMI cable was removed reinserted and the box rebooted.tmp_Screenshot_2014-01-25-22-25-44~2~21846782324.jpg

I have never seen the 'Terrestrial reciever has been short circuited' message mentioned before, my only though is that you should check Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> 5V Antenna Power = Off

The zero sized NTS file recording problem is not associated with the HDMI connection to your TV, it is a nation wide problem affecting many Humax products and Humax is working (with the broadcasters) to fix this problem. The problem only affects 4 new Hi-Def channels i.e. BBC 3 HD, BBC4 HD, CBBC HD and Cbeebies HD and seems to be very random affecting only some recordings on these 4 channels. There is a Custom Firmware package called Badnts that will make the Onts file play again, notes HERE

The zero sized NTS file recording problem is not associated with the HDMI connection to your TV, it is a nation wide problem affecting many Humax products and Humax is working (with the broadcasters) to fix his problem. The problem only affects 4 new Hi-Def channels i.e. BBC 3 HD, BBC4 HD, CBBC HD and Cbeebies HD and seems to be very random affecting only some recordings on these 4 channels

For me it certainly is random. I thought it unusual though that it only seems to occur on my HDR that has a HDMI cable attached. My other HDR is connected via scart cable and doesn't have the same problems with failed HD recordings.

I have never seen the 'Terrestrial reciever has been short circuited' message mentioned before, my only though is that you should check Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> 5V Antenna Power = Off
HDR1 connected via scart had no problems with failed CBBC HD / BBC3 HD recordings and had 5V Antenna Power= off.

HDR2 connected via HDMI had random problems with failed CBBC HD / BBC3 HD recordings and had Antenna Power= on. I have now switched it off to see if it will make a difference.

The Antenna Power = on is used to send power to an amplifier usually attached to your aerial (called a mast head amplifier) unless you have been specifically instructed to turn this on is should be off, normally the Humax is fed by a CO-AX cable with just an aerial on the other end and in this case turning on the Antenna Power could damage the Humax and cause the error dialogue you saw

I don't think it will damage the Humax, they have limited the output current and detected the over-current limiting. However, having it turned on when you don't need it is not a good idea.

I had another 'failed' BBC4 HD recording last night (Wild China), *.ts file OK and zero bytes *.nts file.
I checked an earlier recording by using auto-decrypt and removing the files other than *.ts
I've only been trying these as tests, not being in the habit of recording HD.
Running 1.02.32 with CF 2.20, and recording from Crystal Palace.

I tried recording BBC4 HD for the first time last night, and now I have a recording with a 0 length .nts file. 1.02.32 with CF2.21, transmitter is Crystal Palace.

So I read this thread and the Wiki, then installed the badnts package, created a directory (imaginatively named auto_decrypt) and set the autodecrypt flag on it. Moved the recording into that directory, and waited.

Using top I see a copy being taken (via wget) into /mod/tmp/webif_auto, and then that copy disappears but the original recording files haven't been updated.
/mod/tmp/auto.log ends with:
03/02/2014 12:10 - DECRYPT: /media/My Video/auto_decrypt/The Skin I Live In_20140202_2100
03/02/2014 12:10 - DLNA: http://127.0.0.1:9000/web/media/189.TS
03/02/2014 12:33 - /media/My Video/auto_decrypt/The Skin I Live In_20140202_2100.ts - File did not decrypt properly.
03/02/2014 12:40 - DECRYPT: /media/My Video/auto_decrypt/The Skin I Live In_20140202_2100
03/02/2014 12:40 - DLNA: http://127.0.0.1:9000/web/media/189.TS
03/02/2014 13:03 - /media/My Video/auto_decrypt/The Skin I Live In_20140202_2100.ts - File did not decrypt properly.

I guess it'll continue like this for ever....

I wonder if there's a step I haven't done. I'm hoping that the badnts package declares the packages it depends on - I don't recall any dependencies being installed with badnts.

The steps needed to get the zero length nts recordings to work is to decrypt them, get the DEC4.jpg icon against the file and then delete (or rename) the sidecar files *.nts *.htm

There is something else worth trying, it has cured some uses problems with zero length nts files, simply tune into and watch each of the new channels (BBC 3 HD, BBC4 HD, CBBC HD and Cbeebies HD) for 5 minutes before trying to record from them. This was posted by nozzer HERE

So I read this thread and the Wiki, then installed the badnts package, created a directory (imaginatively named auto_decrypt) and set the autodecrypt flag on it. Moved the recording into that directory, and waited.
Do you have the auto-unprotect package installed? That's required to decrypt high definition recordings.

Do you have the auto-unprotect package installed? That's required to decrypt high definition recordings.
Ah, no. The Wiki (http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Encryption) told me I needed the Auto-Decrypt package, but there isn't a package with that name. That page suggests that Auto-Unprotect is only needed for DLNA decryption, which I didn't think I needed.

badnts doesn't depend on auto-unprotect:

humax# opkg depends badnts
badnts depends on:
webif (>= 1.0.2)
humax#

Sounds like it should :)

Thanks guys, installing auto-unprotect solved the problem. So I've had to learn all about encryption when all I wanted to do was watch a programme I'd recorded....

Back