Failed recording which should not have failed or should it?

The AR start window appears to depend on the target length of the recording, but early experiments did show that if the programme ID does not show up within a particular window of the expected start time the Humax would give up "failed to track" with no recording made.

And that is why I would have expected that 5 minutes from beginning the Hummy would have still picked up the signal. That's why my questions in #18

mihaid you are right, I believe the Humax should have coped with a delayed start under normal conditions - that is what AR is all about.

American Dad failed to record on my HDR on BBC3HD at 00:15 on 03/02/14. I thought it was the "BBC3/4HD Bug" but not so it was a Failed to Track situation. [I did not try playing it until later.]

Investigating via FTP revealed only one file titled American Dad!_20140203_0015.htm. All my successful recordings have 4 associated files. The .htm file was timestamped 00:31. Because this timestamp changed after I copied it to my PC I assume that it registered the time it was accessed last.

Normally, American Dad recordings last 20-25 minutes. Thus, I think I am right to say that the Humax gave up trying to record the programme 16 minutes after its scheduled time.

My American Dad recordings (part of my BBC3/4HD tests) start +/- 2 minutes of their scheduled times. But, then again, the BBC seem to be good at sending out "optional" information.

My HDR recorded Mr Selfridge on ITV1HD ok but then it was only following a Call The Midwife recording.

Martin

The curse of the ITV strikes again.

At least one failed recording has been detected in your media library. The following recording(s) failed:

/The Martin Lewis Money Show/The Martin Lewis Money Show_20140207_2000

There is no way that should have failed. What do you think?
Again, nothing was recorded, failed to track.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 17
I do not have the custom software so cannot comment on that, but, if I read the print-out correctly it states:

Successfully recorded: Ch5 Ice Road Truckers - (20:00 to 21:00 scheduled)
Successfully recorded: BBC1HD: Room 101 - (20:30 - 21:00 scheduled)

Your "failed to track" programme - Martin Lewis Money Show - was scheduled for 20:00 to 21:00 and thus, immediately, I can see a conflict has arisen - 3 programmes to record during the period 20:30 to 21:00.

With my standard software I would have seen Room 101 fail but perhaps the custom software has different conflict-resolution software.

Martin

There is no way that should have failed. What do you think?
Again, nothing was recorded, failed to track.
IRT started recording at 19:59. HIMYM didn't finish recording until almost 20:01.
So it's possible that the HDR missed the change over to the Martin Lewis Money Show. Does the HDR usually pick up if there is an overlap like this or does it depend in some way on the combination of channels on muxs?

It should start recording from where a recording channel became free, but if the programme ID was only broadcast at the start and not continuously it would thus have been missed.

Use the +1 channels to avoid potential conflicts like is.

And it seems CH4HD does not keep on sending the flags either. I had Dispatches at 20.00 fail tonight when a tuner was ready to record at 20:00:32. Shockingly bad form.

To record the +1 channel would defeat the HD implementation.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 7
It looks like you have quite a few of these failed recordings due to clashes, perhaps you should purchase an additional HDR-FOX T2, and move some timers to it that would otherwise cause a clash on a single box.:)

That would be a bit extreme, especially when if the broadcasters were doing the correct thing the box would catch everything needed.

Mihaid, there is a hypothesis being postulated, based on your limited evidence, that ITV and Ch4 are not broadcasting the necessary information on their HD channels to allow correct operation of Accurate Recording.

Over the 2 years I have had an HDR-Fox and 2.5years I've had an HD-Fox I have only had Failed to Track messages a few times, all associated with the broadcasters moving programmes or, in one case, my scheduling of a series when one episode of a conflicting series recording was not being broadcast that week and thus the Humax could not spot an arising conflict.

If the problem was as widespread as you suggest, a lot more people would be up in arms.

I do not believe the customised software affects matters but I think you should reset your box completely, stay with the standard software, carry out a manual tune and then see whether your box still suffers the problems.

If you still get problems then I am willing to parallel some test recordings after 2300 (to avoid SWIMBO's recordings) to see if your box is faulty in some peculiar way or the broadcasters are at fault.

Martin

Over the 2 years I have had an HDR-Fox and 2.5years I've had an HD-Fox I have only had Failed to Track messages a few times,

Martin
Which mirrors my experience entirely. It only seems to be a recent issue. I've had failed to track in the past year or so, but on checking the log they were genuine instances where 3 recordings could not be done because various reasons. This is not the case now(see the examples) and that is why I'm miffed. I have not done a retune since at least a year ago. Also have not installed any customised packages, except after a long period of not checking this forum, I decided to upgrade my firmware about 2,3 weeks ago. I have installed tvdiary about 3 days ago, so that is not the cause.

Thinking a bit more one would expect if there was a problem RS would have highlighted a conflict in all the examples above, but it didn't because there was no conflict.

Again I must admit to not knowing about the details of the customised software but I believe you are wrong in your statement "RS would have highlighted a conflict in all the examples above, but it didn't because there was no conflict".

As I pointed out in my post #26, there was a conflict in the period 20:00 to 21:00 on the 7th February. You were attempting to record 3 programmes during that period.

It may be that some duff data has found its way into your system. A full reset may resolve the issue.

Martin

I believe you are wrong in your statement "RS would have highlighted a conflict in all the examples above, but it didn't because there was no conflict".
Yes I was wrong, it turns out on both counts. Looking back through my conflict checker emails, RS has not warned me of that conflict. However, the hummy should have recorded the Martin Lewis program at 20.00 on ITV. In the other instances, there was no conflict so RS could not / did not warn correctly.
As to the reset, I am using the CF extensively so I can't see myself doing it.

So you have:

a. Customised software installed;

b. Had failure to track problems on, at least, 2 channels when this should not have occurred; and

c. A customised software conflict detection function that did not work on the one occasion a conflict was clearly present.

So, did the software "know" that the ITV programme on the 7th was to be recorded? Does the customised software keep a separate record of scheduled recordings that it uses? If so, can it fall out of sync with the Humax standard database? And which software has master control of recordings?

Have I read correctly that you upgraded the firmware 2 or 3 weeks ago? I assume this was an upgrade to the standard software and then a load of the associated customised software.

Did the failure to track problem start after that?

Martin

Back