Failed recordings on BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD

Not my code I'm afraid, but I do know that the daemon handles unsetting the protected/Enc flag on recording completion and the script only does it on boot to catch any that have been missed.

There is a diagnostic called 'fixencflags'. Is it possible to create a 'fixdecflags' diagnostic that could be run manually, or would this not work for the reasons prpr mentioned?

I tried to record Crimes of Passion (BBC Four HD) on two separate machines.

First is a machine I bought for spares and fitted a new HDD (HDR3), so it was recently tuned and tested on some children's programmes. The second is my original HDR (HDR1) which was retuned about a month ago. HDR1 plays OK , but HDR 3 shows a blank screen with the message "this channel is scrambled or not available". The same applies to the pre-shrink version in the [Deleted Items] folder.

The recording in webif browser shows the "Dec" icon, but the data box shows only the guidance flag.

screenshot
upload_2014-8-30_23-58-39.png

The same box has just started a scheduled test recording on BBC News HD, and it chase-plays OK at least. as did the concurrent test recording of Family Guy on BBC three HD. does this help to confirm current theories. I will experiment with the HMT tool tomorrow.

This looks like the same fault. I would try the hmt tool on the non-shrunk version. I don't know how the shrunk version will behave.

Not my code I'm afraid, but I do know that the daemon handles unsetting the protected/Enc flag on recording completion and the script only does it on boot to catch any that have been missed.
Yes, I've verified that the Enc flag is already gone by the time the script runs, which is kind of a shame, and kills this whole thing.
Do we know who wrote it and can the source code be prised out of them so it can be modified? Or would it be easier to re-implement from scratch?

I have managed to navigate to the file (not the shrunk one yet) and view the hmt data. What do I need to change and how?

There is a diagnostic called 'fixencflags'. Is it possible to create a 'fixdecflags' diagnostic that could be run manually, or would this not work for the reasons prpr mentioned?
stripts does seem to be able to tell encrypted state independent of the .hmt file, so possibly.

It now plays. Thanks for the guidance Prpr and MontysEvilTwin.

I think I only understand half of it, but it's half more than I new this morning. I appreciate you patience.

I recall I had the same problem on the same box last week with a recording on ITV3+1. Couldn't replicate until tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fault does appear to be triggered by re-tuning, I don't think anyone knows why. The hmt file is modified and the recording appears to be decrypted when isn't. So when it is played back the box does not decrypt it on the fly. The playback is thus scrambled.

I've had a few undecrypted recordings lately (as I mostly play remotely I notice!), but I had been putting it down to "one of those things". I will pay more attention to the circumstances.

Is this problem associated with the one some time ago (if not still current) with BBC3 & 4 which it seemed could be fixed by recording and watching the channel at the same time for a minute or two?
Or has that one been fixed now?

@MikeSh, that fault led to a zero length nts file and was fixed in 1.03.12 firmware. This fault is caused by a flag set incorrectly in the htm file. It is interesting that both faults seem to relate to a retune. It could be that the fix for the nts fault has caused this current problem? I am speculating, of course, but as this problem has only happened on boxes running 1.03.12 (please correct me if I am wrong about this) it is not unreasonable to assume that the fault is related to code changes in this version.

Yes, I've verified that the Enc flag is already gone by the time the script runs, which is kind of a shame, and kills this whole thing.
Do we know who wrote it and can the source code be prised out of them so it can be modified? Or would it be easier to re-implement from scratch?
xyz321 wrote it. The daemon is quite complicated as it hooks into the kernel to see when recordings are closed.

Thanks @af123. It worked for me.

As an aside, is it possible to user-define the diagnostics included in tbe pull down list?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back