Failed recordings on BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD

is it possible to user-define the diagnostics included in tbe pull down list?
You could modify /mod/var/diag.meta but it'd get overwritten by the copy pulled from the package server during certain operations.

Final version (hopefully) which seems to work and also fixes any SD recordings which get the Dec flag set erroneously:
Code:
--- /mod/sbin/unprotect~
+++ /mod/sbin/unprotect
@@ -22,12 +22,13 @@
  # High definition
  hmt -protect "$1"
 fi
+
+if [ `stripts -qE "${1%%.hmt}"` = 1 ]; then
+  hmt +encrypted "$1"
+fi
 }

-if [ "$1" = "--skip-hmt" ]; then
-  shift
-else
-  if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
+if [ "$1" = "" -o "$1" = "--skip-hmt" ]; then
  if [ -f $ref ]; then
  find "$root" -name \*.ts -a ! -path "*/[\[_\*]*" -prune -a -newer $ref | \
  while read tsfile; do
@@ -42,7 +43,6 @@
  touch $ref
  else
  unprotect "$1"
-  fi
 fi

if [ -n "$dms" -a -f "$dms" ]; then

FFS: Why does the damned stupid editor on this forum strip out multiple spaces??? I'm sure it never used to. ICBA to edit them all back in.

FFS: Why does the damned stupid editor on this forum strip out multiple spaces??? I'm sure it never used to. ICBA to edit them all back in.

It's not the forum specifically, it's HTML. It happens in all the forums I use.
I use non-breaking spaces (I think they are called), code = &nbsp, in my website but it doesn't look as though it works in here (since it's displaying the code, not a space).

It's not the forum specifically
Yes it is.
Code:
If I type "test", 8 spaces, "test" it comes out as I type it:
test        test
If I cut and paste that line, it comes out as "test", 2 spaces, "test":
test  test
It makes complete nonsense inside CODE tags.

I think prpr is right. Multiple spaces do not normally display in HTML, but are preserved in forum posts when you go in with the editor. The code sections should (and I am sure Xenforo pre-1.3.5 used to) display exactly as is in mono-spaced font.

This should be brought up in the Xenforo 1.3.5 topic in Forum Issues.

I had the same problem this Saturday, as last.

I recorded Crimes of Passion on two separate machines. One on BBC Four HD and the other on BBC Four. Both recordings were unplayable until I ran the fixencflags diagnostic. Of course I had retuned both boxes on Wednesday with the reshuffle. The other two common factors are programme (subtitles?) and BBC Four HD. Not sure where that leaves the problem with the SD channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the same problem this Saturday, as last.

I recorded Crimes of Passion on two separate machines. One on BBC Four HD and the other on BBC Four. Both recordings were unplayable until I ran the fixencflags diagnostic. Of course I had retuned both boxes on Wednesday with the reshuffle. The other two common factors are programme (subtitles?) and BBC Four HD. Not sure where that leaves the problem with the SD channel.

My record was four failed attempts last week to record the same BBC3 programme: SD and HD versions on each of two machines. I tried the SD repeat on both machines: one worked and the other failed.

It seems to me that a PVR that can't play so many of its own recordings is something of a disaster area. I ran two Humax 9200Ts for more than five years and while they had their own issues, I cannot recall a single time where this happened.

Thanks for mentioning the fixencflags diagnostic, which I didn't know about; it's already fixed one failed recording for me. It would be useful if it was added to the drop-down list of diagnostics given the frequency of the problem it addresses.

We also had Crimes of Passion on BBC4 HD on Sat that 'failed'. Running fixencflags (which I also didn't know or had forgotten about) has fixed it. It also says it's fixed three older recordings, pre-retune, which we hadn't attempted to watch yet, so I don't know if they were actually broken.

Were your other recordings SD?

The original presumption was that it was BBC3 & BBC4 HD, but it seems to be linked to particular programmes, or content. One obvious peculiarity feature of Crimes of Passion is the fixed subtitles.

@af123, is it possible to add the fixencflags to the auto or boot up processes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To summarise earlier posts in this thread, this fault is not only on HD channels, I have seen it on Quest. The 'fixencflags' diagnostic was recently modified by af123 to also fix encrypted recordings that are wrongly flagged as decrypted: it used to just to remove the 'enc' flag from decrypted files that were wrongly flagged. It might be possible to build the function of this diagnostic into the auto-unprotect package: prpr has ideas about how to do this but this package was written by xyz123 who hasn't posted for a while. If he sees this thread that may be a goer.

I am running CF. I re-tuned channels last week then restored the schedule. Having been away since I checked today and found "0 sec" recordings on all attempted recordings on BBC4 HD. They won't play on the Humax, but I can see the files are there from the Webif - at a size that seems as expected. From previous experience I know the files can be modified in various ways to make them play. I'm just adding this in this thread in case it adds to understanding of the problem. I'll try watching a live broadcast on BB4 HD tonight and then recording it to see if this makes the problem go away.

Last edited:
CF3.00/1.03.12 shirley?
Apologies - I rushed previous note using a cut and past from a previous one. I meant to edit out all the version details but only partially did so (now corrected) - mainly for the embarrassing reality that I don't recall which version of the CF I have installed (certainly not the latest) and couldn't think where to look to find out.

This fault sounds more like the NTS file fault that plagued the new hi def channels like BBC Three and Four a while back. This fault is supposedly fixed in 1.03.12 firmware, so if you are on 1.03.12 this is interesting. Check your firmware version again, if you are on 1.02.xx you are vulnerable to this 'zero' length NTS problem. Some people don't like 1.03.xx firmware because navigation of the EPG is slow due to a bug, but if you are on 1.02.xx the portal is not working and even if it gets fixed, BBC iPlayer no longer works on this version. The only way to fix faulty recordings is to install the custom firmware, set up autodecryption and delete the sidecar files (NTS, HTM and THM) after decryption. The programmes should now play. If you install the 'badnts' custom firmware package, it will delete the sidecar files for you after decryption. If your programmes are already decrypted, install 'badnts' anyway: it may scan and fix existing decrypted programmes. I am not sure of this though, you might have to do it manually.

couldn't think where to look to find out.
Front panel display during boot or at the bottom right corner of the WebIF.

However, as the previous post says, this defect is not CF related and the issue of standard firmware you are using is of more interest.

Thanks for the tip BH. My standard firmware is 1.02.32 so I am possibly a distraction in this thread. Evil Twin - I will install badnts.

Last edited:
Not a distraction at all - we are interested that you seem to be suffering the badnts fault on 1.03.12 firmware.

Update: Oops, my bad. I still had 1.o3.12 in mind and the previous post says 1.02.32. We expect problems recording from BBC THREE HD, BBC FOUR HD, Cbeebies HD... when using firmware prior to 1.03.12. There is a master post summarising and linking to all relevant discussion HERE (click).

Last edited:
May not be relevant but references to 0 length recordings prompts me to put it up.

Tonight when I turned one box on at about 11pm to watch something, it had reverted to the Wizard. I had to do a complete setup and restore the schedule and favourites from backup. The box was working correctly earlier on today when I used it, so it wasn't a rogue retune event early in the morning.

It was supposed to have recorded two programs earlier (at 9 and 10) both series on HD channels. The 9pm was completely absent, the 10pm was present in it's series folder, but 0 length and unplayable. (That puzzles me - I'd sort of expect something like the first recording starting and then crashing the box (and getting 0 lengthed) so the second recording never happened at all. But it was the other way round.)

Tonight my wife went to play a Midsomer Murders recorded on 8 Nov from ITV3+1 and got the 'scrambled' message.
I had a look at it in WebIf and the Dec flag was showing, so I ran fixencflags and it is now sorted. Excellent!
But as this was neither on BBC3 or 4 and is an SD channel/recording I'm a bit puzzled as to why it got like that at all :confused:

Back