Failed recordings ?

Thank for the link. I have just submitted a complaint and will see how long they take to respond.

I have now had the following response to my complaint:

"Thanks for contacting the BBC Reception Advice Team.

I forwarded your correspondence to our investigation team who have asked that I pass on the following:

"We are currently experiencing some issues preventing accurate recording.

You are correct in that the 'Start' and 'Stop' codes are applied to the broadcast by the BBC.

However, for the time being we would suggest using your manual timer [as recordings will start and stop based on the time of the program rather than the recording start/stop moving with variances in the schedule. This is linked to the changeover to a new play out system, and engineers are working to resolve an issue in the system, which currently prevents accurate recording."

We hope this information helps to clarify the situation and once again, thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us."

It looks as if we are going to have to put up with this for a while yet. Ah well, I'll just have to do some reading up on padding.

The CF allows for auto-padding to be applied selectively. See multimode:

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Multi-mode_Recording
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/ar-on-a-per-recording-or-per-service-basis.959/

Note you should leave Accurate Recording as the default and apply auto-padding to the exceptions rather than the other way around, as setting auto-padding as the default and using multimode to selectively set AR has proven to be unreliable.

See also: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/accurate-recording-ar-padding-and-lost-series-links.858/

Last edited:
I have two HDR Fox T2s. One uses AR the other padding, I set everything to record on both boxes. Most of the time it is unecessary, but when AR fails eg. last episode of Spiral a couple of weeks ago, I have a padded copy.

I wish they would date this sort of thing. It P's me off when I find out that I have just been reading something years old.

Hi

I just had recording failed notification from last night - This Week on BBC1 HD even though Question Time before it recorded Ok. Both are Series Link recordings.
Activity log shows nothing amiss. I've not configured any Auto Padding so I presume everything is on AR.
Is there any way to check the CRID/PCRID for a past programme? Also from the web UI/elsewhere as I'm not local to the machine.
Anything else I need to check?

It was an email:

From: Hummypkg Remote Scheduling [mailto:noreply@hpkg.tv]
Sent: 23 February 2018 06:17
To: Hummypkg User
Subject: RS Failed / HDR-Fox T2 (humaxt2 - dc:d3:21:xx:xx:xx)

Device: HDR-Fox T2 (humaxt2 - dc:d3:21:xx:xx:xx) At least one failed recording has been detected in your media library. The following recording(s) failed:

/This Week/This Week_20180222_2347

--

This message is sent from an unmonitored account and replies will not be read. For help and support, please join the community at http://hummy.tv/ and search the forums to see if your question has been asked before. If not, then post a new thread in the customised firmware section and someone will be along to help you.

Take a careful look at the files on your HDD. The RS will flag a failed recording if a .hmt sidecar file has failed to delete when the rest of the recording was deleted, for example. The message doesn't necessarily mean a recording really has failed - it just looks like it to the RS.

You're right - there is a .hmt file for that programme, but nothing else. And I keep getting notifications for the failed recording.
So if I delete that file, then what should I do now?

Hi All, Sorry to bump this thread, but my problem is 'failed recordings' related. Firstly it's been a long time sine I've been on here, as my Hummy hasn't been used in a long while now. It was as I thought failing to store Saorview channels in the channel list. I was on the verge of getting rid of it, when I came across another thread on the forum relating to 'Non-Freeview' channels automatically being deleted at each reboot.

Thankfully I've got that issue sorted now, and am in the process of re-numbering channels to reflect the Saorview LCN's on my TV. Now (finally), to my failed recordings problem. Again, I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forum here, that remote scheduled recordings for non-Freeview channels will fail. OK, not great, but if thats the way it is then so be it. My problem is however that I keep getting an email reminder every morning of the failure. But when I go to delete the scheduled event, there's none there, and there are no recordings on the hard drive. So I thought maybe there's some hidden files on the drive creating this, and tried re-formatting the drive from the Humax interface, but it can't do so the because the volume is 'too large'. But this is still the original 500GB factory installed drive. The HDD test on the Humax interface shows no problems, and the test via the web interface passes also. Any help greatly appreciated.

So this is a custom firmware question then... (ie, wrong section of the forum)

Are you saying the RS supports Saorview? As far as I know, we have never supported anything other than Freeview. Are you sure you are not talking about Freesat v. Non-Freesat (ie the Foxsat stuff rather than HDR-FOX)?

It's the RS that sends you failed recording notifications, and it should do so when there is an orphaned .hmt file. You need to get that back into sync (but I still don't know how you can be using RS when you are in Saorview).

tried re-formatting the drive from the Humax interface, but it can't do so the because the volume is 'too large'. But this is still the original 500GB factory installed drive. The HDD test on the Humax interface shows no problems, and the test via the web interface passes also.
This is a stupid Humax message because it can't unmount the partitition due to the custom firmware packages. Regardless of the actual problem, it always gives a 'too large' error. Their programmers were (are) a bit clueless.
I believe that selecting Safe Mode from the WebIf's Diagnostics page and rebooting should deactivate packages and then allow you to format the drive without the stupid error (but I've not had the need since this facility was invented, and I'd probably use the command line anyway for other reasons).

Hi Black Hole, thanks for responding to this. Not sure what you mean by 'in Saorview', but obviously the 'HDR' is a Freeview specific receiver, and over here we've gotten used to wrestleing with the whole cross platform issue. Thanks to 'renumber' we can now re-jig the channel order to put the irish channels from 01 to 023, and then slot in the UK channels in the order they appear in the Saorview EPG.

But back to the faild recording problem. It's only after the recording failed that I came across something on another thread that alluded to RS not working with non Freeview channels, had I seen this beforehand I wouldn't have attempted to schedule a recording from the Saorview platform. But now that there must be an orphaned .hmt file on the hard drive, I need to get shot of it. Do I need to go into Telnet to do this ? On both the Webif and the Humax interface, the HDD appears to be empty.

This is a stupid Humax message because it can't unmount the partitition due to the custom firmware packages. Regardless of the actual problem, it always gives a 'too large' error. Their programmers were (are) a bit clueless.
I believe that selecting Safe Mode from the WebIf's Diagnostics page and rebooting should deactivate packages and then allow you to format the drive without the stupid error (but I've not had the need since this facility was invented, and I'd probably use the command line anyway for other reasons).

Thanks prpr, You must have posted this as I was typing. Will attempt this later this evening. (only came inside for a drink, supposed to be cutting grass! best get back out there before SWMBO realises I'm on the computer).

Go raibh maith agat.

Reformatting is overkill for this problem.

The failed recording emails are not related to anything that is currently in your recording schedule but too a recording that failed in the past.
You should be able to find and delete the orphaned file in several simple ways:
  1. If you log on to RS it should be shown at the top of the home page with a dustbin icon next to it, click on dustbin to remove
  2. On TV using remote navigate to to the relevant directory where it should have a lightning bolt icon and selecting it should show why the failure reason and allow you to delete it
  3. Using webif browse to directory and delete.

Back