"Failed to track" errors

Thanks for the pointers - it all looks fairly straightforward. Just need to rummage in my accumulated pc-bits box for a suitable HDD to re-format.
One question I'm still unsure about - when I've done all this and have the files on the external usb drive, will I be able to copy them onto the internal drive of the replacement or will I have to play them from the usb? Could swear I read in some other thread that they wouldn't work if copied onto another HDR.

They will not work unless decrypted first (in the process of copying to an external drive), whether you play them from USB or copy them to another HDR-FOX. That's why we are emphasising the need to decrypt, for which HiDef content requires Foxy (or the custom firmware).

Yep, I had read through that one before which was what gave me the idea.

I'll post details before exercising my warranty at RS. Thanks for the link.

OK, I've done the Foxy bit to remove the 'enc' flag from my HD recordings and I've taken the disk out of my old 9200T and stuck it in a caddy and plugged it into the front USB socket on my HDR-FOX T2. However, I'm not seeing a 'copy to usb' option when I press OPT+ (even with recordings selected). So, what am I doing wrong? Is the T2 simply not recognising the HDD? I assume it ought to as it was formatted by the 9200T and works quite happily in there.

I think I can feel a DOH!! moment coming on but I just can't see it. Any suggestions?

First, I have no idea whether the drive is in an appropriate format, or whether it will be recognised when adapted to USB in a caddy (these things are notoriously unreliable outside the Windows environment the manufacturer will have tested them in).

That aside, you should at least have the "Move/Copy" option on the list when you select a file (MEDIA button) and press OPT+. Select that and what normally happens is you are able to navigate the folder structure, with "HDD (My Video)" at the top of the list and any connected drives below it.

Navigating down the My Video structure will give you a "Move" option on the red button, navigating any USB drives changes that to "Copy".

I assume it ought to as it was formatted by the 9200T and works quite happily in there.
That is an incorrect assumption. The 9200 uses a proprietary file system that the HDR does not understand. You need to format the 9200 drive (which will of course delete any recordings on it) and then the HDR will be able to copy to it.

DOH!!! - and there it is. I suspected something like that because I wasn't even seeing the drive but it was too late at night to start checking.

Thanks Martin!

The drive from the 9200T was a new one to replace the original that went pop. Up to now it has only been formatted in the 9200T and tested so no existing recordings to worry about. I'll re-format it tonight and have another stab at the copying.

Richer Sounds have already reserved a replacement T2 for me so I just need to get this done and then I'll be ready to start all over again. ;)

Hmm - I'm probably being dense here but how do I do that if it doesn't see it in the first place.
Do I need to power it off and on with the HDD attached?

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Format Storage - see if it shows up there. If not I doubt rebooting will help, and you will have to try formatting on a PC with a Live Linux CD booted (you need Ext3).

Make sure you don't format the internal drive!

Thanks BH - I never looked there.
I did, however, press the blue storage button that you get to via the OPT+ menu and it only showed my internal HDD and 'network' (which showed up my laptop). Possibly didn't show up there because it wasn't correctly formatted - but, then again, neither is my laptop.

Your laptop (notebook?) only shows up because it has a DLNA server running, nothing to do with disk formats.

Good point!

I've got a GParted boot disk kicking around at home. If your menu suggestion doesn't work I'll use that to format the HDD to ext3 and give it a shot once more.

Quick update.

BH - your suggestion for formatting the HDD worked - recordings all successfully backed up - Thanks!
Replacement unit reserved with Richer Sounds and will be exchanged tomorrow.

Just going to post details of returned unit on appropriate thread now.

Thanks to everybody for all the help.

So, got all my recordings (300GB) off successfully, exchanged T2, setup no problem, copied all the recordings back on and a host of random overnight recordings succeeded (including waking from standby) :) Thanks again for all help received.

Interestingly the new box came with 1.02.29 pre-installed. Hope that means it's very new and not one that's been re-furbed.

But (there's always one isn't there) - I can't get the wi-fi working!

My Edimax dongle is detecting the network with a very strong signal (4 bars out of 5) and I can see in the router log that DHCP is handing out an address in the correct range OK but the T2 just doesn't seem to want to connect with it. Even with the address reserved in the router. Gave up in frustration at 1.30am. :(
Guess tonight I'll be chucking my very long CAT5 between rooms to see if it will work via ethernet. No use as a permanent solution but at least it will let me validate that TV Portal is working OK.

One day I hope to have time to sit and use the T2 as intended !!!

Oops - just realised that I had forgotten to complete this thread.
Everything is working just fine with the new box - wifi problem was down to a bit of digital dyslexia on my part entering the password.
Should've gone to specsavers!!! :oops:

Back