Failing tuner?

For completeness BBC News HD (107) and BBC4 HD (106)?
NOTE: Use the edit button and Edit the results into your previous post then all the info is in one place.

But from the information so far, your set seems to be tuned to Ridge hill, so your aerial should be pointing about West.
As COM 7 & 8 have recently move to a much higher frequency, (Ch 55 and CH 56) and that they are at a lower power than the 'main 6' MUXs, it could be that you don't have a wideband aerial (that was not needed before the frequency change) which may be required to receive them properly.

Now I'm even more confused. I can't see a transmitter on the coverage checker that matches ITV unless "29" is "25". The rest of the results indicate Ridge Hill.
So it looks like paddy has his aerial pointing SW at Mendip, but the set is tuned to Com 7 CH 55 Ridge Hill?
Have I missed the post that says which way the aerial is pointing? If you are correct, this could explain some of the problems. However Com 7 & Com 8 are about the same power as the other non-PSB multiplexes, so I would have expected problems with Quest/Dave/Yesterday - although the radiation pattern and single frequency network might make a difference. :confused:

Ok, sorry, I've screwed up here somehow. I'm sure compass on my phone read as SW the other night, but now NNW or NW. I've calibarated it, but it doesn't seem to be very accurate! Heres a link to google maps showing my building. Aerial (the one on the roof) is pointing towards St John Ambulance building, just a tad north of due west as far as I can make out:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9911163,-2.1517761,19z

I do! It faces south west, I get a lot of sun on my balcony. So when compass said SW I didn't really question it. I am dyspraxic though, so forgive me for getting a little muddled with the direction.

Which is your building as I can't see one with an aerial on the roof.
If you are in the block to the right of the BRC building then your aerial is pointing a bit north of West(ish)
However Com 7 & Com 8 are about the same power as the other non-PSB multiplexes, so I would have expected problems with Quest/Dave/Yesterday -
Ah. Missed that but unless he has a wideband aerial?????

If you are in the block to the right of the BRC building then your aerial is pointing a bit north of West(ish)
Ah. Missed that but unless he has a wideband aerial?????
Sorry, I thought I'd marked it on the map, but it doesn't seem to have worked. Yes, its the long block to the right of the BRC. Roof aerial is about two thirds along.

Not sure if the communal aerial is wideband or not. I think the other one I tried is narrow band, it doesn't actually say it in the blub anywhere but the instructions say "designed to restrict bandwidth to prevent interference and channel loss" if that helps?

Last edited:
Ridge hill is on a bearing of 292 to you. Which is in line with the right hand (from you) end of the BRC building. Distance is about 20km (12.5m)

I can't see aerials on any of the rooves on the overhead view. On street view the aerials appear to be pointing towards Ridge Hill.
Ridge hill is on a bearing of 292 to you. Which is in line with the right hand (from you) end of the BRC building. Distance is about 20km (12.5m)
According to digitaluk link it is 271 degrees and 27km.tewkes.png

I though the direction was closer to the St John Ambulance building than the Red Cross? 271 is one degree off West, so that seems right. Pretty sure its pointing directly at Ridge Hill, as are most of the others around here.

My figures were from google maps, and screen protractor. Does google get the position of ridge hill wrong?

My figures were from google maps, and screen protractor. Does google get the position of ridge hill wrong?
No idea if google maps has it wrong, it looks just a little north of due west to me though.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...d463f7c7a2584cc!8m2!3d51.9972098!4d-2.5399232
I took the 271 figure from the info posted by EEPhil above.

Maybe this will help. I took some pics earlier. The first one shows my building, with the BRC in front and to the right of the pic is the SJA building. Unfortunately, you can't see the direction of my aerial very well as there were pigeons sitting on it, but its the same direction as the one on the bungalow to the left of BRC. From the map I make that a westerly direction? However, the second pic shows that some houses have theirs pointing in other directions.

I mentioned earlier that I had tried a new aerial on my balcony (it's the third floor one you can see in the pictures) and pointed it from all different angles (180 degrees until it hit the wall on either side) and nothing improved. I don't think I can get it to quite the same direction that some others are pointing (more northerly). My balcony is the second half of what you can see in the pic, so the edge of the building might still be blocking it.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190111_145602 Resize.jpg
    20190111_145602 Resize.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190111_145744 Resize.jpg
    20190111_145744 Resize.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 13
pointed it from all different angles (180 degrees until it hit the wall on either side) and nothing improved
If "nothing improved" then the inference is that nothing changed much. That would suggest the aerial is virtually omnidirectional, in which case it may well be picking up duplicate versions of COM7&8.

How much money do you want to throw at the problem, not being sure what the actual problem is? How about using it on a local installer who might actually know something?

Thanks Mike. So should i try a different type of aerial?
BH's comments are pertinent.
Given that these frequency allocations for COM7 & 8 are (supposedly) only for a couple of years, after which they or the channels on them will somehow be incorporated into the lower part of the spectrum, you need to decide if it is worth the effort and money to get the channels they supply just for that time.

As example I spent £60-£70 on an additional aerial and combiner, but that was to add to my existing hi-gain and I could do all the work myself - it wasn't trivial (Adding group E to an A to get channels 55 &56). Just a larger (longer and more directional) wideband might work for you, but you need to be prepared to write off the cost ... You might spend £60 on it (this on top of what you've already paid for the one you have just bought) and it still might not work for you - aerial installations are part science and part art.

The most important thing for me is to establish whether the problem is with the box (if not the tuners, then what?), the aerial or something else.

I can return the new aerial I bought, and can order/return a different one on the same basis, but its still a lot of faff. Equally, I could by a new Hummy on ebay and sell it again if I get the same results.

This is the aerial I've been "waving around"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VIEBZTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And to be clear, its not just the COM 7&8 channels. These were the first to show problems, and are now completely unwatchable, but all HD channels are experiencing severe breakup. I am now watching everything in SD.

That would not have been my choice of aerial, but I think that one should be just fine for your location.
My feeling is that those 'three boomers' are more spin than performance and mainly designed to look impressive.
Just remind me (save me wading through 8 pages) is your TV OK? Have you got access to the communal aerial? If so, does that give the same as your new aerial?

PS. 'waving around' is an extremely technical term for the less accurate term 'alignment':D

Back