Failing tuner?

My feeling is that those 'three boomers' are more spin than performance and mainly designed to look impressive.
Yeah, ATV say "anyone who knows about aerials knows Tri Booms are not made to work, they`re made to sell"

Is tricky to recommend something specific but one of the 'wideband' jobs from here would be my choice:
ATV aerial shop
DY14WB, Yagi18k and Grid are fairly high gain. DM Log periodic is less powerful. If size is a problem the Grid might be worth a punt, though if it has to face along a wall you'd need a fairly long bracket.

Just remind me (save me wading through 8 pages) is your TV OK? Have you got access to the communal aerial? If so, does that give the same as your new aerial?
Yes, TV is ok, including BBC News HD. I haven't got access to the roof aerial, but results are the same for both (with roof aerials current alignment) I summarised everything in post 108:
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/failing-tuner.8978/post-128152

I had another problem with the box last night. The menus lost their background and became almost unreadable. I started playing a recording, but then couldn't change volume, rewind, stop it etc. Had to switch box off at the back to reboot. In another thread just before christmas I mentioned that all recording were failing (fixed by a factory reset). Maybe its worth trying a new box?

I've bitten the bullet and bought a new Hummy on ebay.

This will a least ascertain if it's a problem with the box or aerial. I'll report back when it's arrived.

New box arrived, and I'm happy to report that all HD channels are working! Must be some undefined problem with the other box, it has continued to deteriorate so I'm glad the new box solved the problem. Thanks for everyone's patience and support.

Why would the HD part of the tuner fail but not the SD?
Is there an HD part of a tuner? I would have thought its job was to receive the signal. My understanding is that the difference between SD and HD is in the decoding of the signal which is done by hardware dedicated to the task.

The tuner pulls the multiplex signal for the tuned channel and passes it it to the Sony CXD2820R decoder, which decodes the multiplex signal into the MPEG2 or H.264 stream for the tuned channel .

Perhaps the HD, or DVB-T2 in general, decoding needs better SNR?

Attachments

• Sony CXD2820R.png
    Sony CXD2820R.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 15
Eg: old box, dodgy tuner; new box, less dodgy tuner. Tuner should be understood also to include the aerial connection to the tuner.

Eg: old box, dodgy tuner; new box, less dodgy tuner. Tuner should be understood also to include the aerial connection to the tuner.
If the aerial connection is dodgy why the sd channels went by with no flicker at all?

Back