Fan Noise

RobH1

Over on Av Forums, we have been discussing the fan noise on the HDRFoxT2, noting it comes on with a vengeance after a couple of hours, spoiling any programme containing just dialogue (i.e.news, or quiet passages of music).
Graham L Thompson has suggested replacing the existing fan with a specific quiet make. I am reluctant to delve into the box until the warranty expires in August, but would ask those who have been inside the box, would this be a goer? (a la Black Hole's Bright young things!)
A photograph of the internals would be useful. I will be keen (in Aug!) to improve the quietness of the fan, which for me spoils the product.
Regards
Rob

Is it really that bad? My HDR Fox T2 is on from 17:00 > 23:00. The fan only comes on very occasionally and even then its running at it's low speed and is practically inaudible. Admittedly, when the dialogue is VERY quiet, I can just hear it.

You might have a failing fan. Does your Hummy have plenty of space around it? I mean to say, it's well ventilated.

I realise that this is relative, but I have to say there is nowt wrong with my hearing......pardon....:)

I have been inside the box and knowingly invalidated the warranty. It was to remove the damn awful orange filter put in front of the green display. IIRC, you could replace the fan no problem, although I wasn't paying too much attention to that at the time.

Yes, it is that bad and has been the same for the 18 or so months of ownership. We were watching the Frost Interviews, all dialogue and it was very noticeable. We listen to internet radio via the portal and it's the same.
The box sits on a Blu-ray player separated by extra rubber spacers and in a well ventilated open glass shelf system. Large room, central heating radiator is 15 feet away, gas fire five feet to the side, therefore no direct heat aimed at the box.
I am not generally sensitive to extraneous noises (eh?) being in me 60s and we have an Onkyo 608 tuner amp going for a lot of hours and that is whisper quiet.
I am going into the box regardless in Aug like you to shift the stupid filter but help re the fan would be appreciated
Rob

Yes, it is that bad and has been the same for the 18 or so months of ownership. We were watching the Frost Interviews, all dialogue and it was very noticeable. We listen to internet radio via the portal and it's the same.
The box sits on a Blu-ray player separated by extra rubber spacers and in a well ventilated open glass shelf system. Large room, central heating radiator is 15 feet away, gas fire five feet to the side, therefore no direct heat aimed at the box.
I am not generally sensitive to extraneous noises (eh?) being in me 60s and we have an Onkyo 608 tuner amp going for a lot of hours and that is whisper quiet.
I am going into the box regardless in Aug like you to shift the stupid filter but help re the fan would be appreciated
Rob

The drive caddy which also has the fan mounted on it looks identical to the Foxsat-hdr

http://myhumax.org/blog/?p=22

Changing the fan should be very simple.

Why haven't you returned your box as faulty if it bothers you so much ? it sounds like it must be faulty, as both of my boxes have very quiet fans. I can't recall ever having heard them, even though the boxes are less than 6 feet away from my normal viewing position. I have tried holding my hand over the air output, and can occasionally feel a gentle breeze of luke warm air coming out, but would have to mute the volume and place an ear next to it before being able to hear anything. I have had other makes of boxes in the past which did have noisy fans though.;)

I am not averse to returning faulty goods but in this case many owners on AV forums have commented on the fan, it being quiet for an hour or so then it kicks in at full blast and stays on for quite a while. I thought this was the norm as a relative has the same thing on a lesser model.
Our box has been trouble free since purchase and I'm reluctant to chance my arm on something I can live with until August, and now with the help here from Graham, I'll open it up and replace the fan and remove the filter etc.

It does seem strange how some people seem to have fan problems and return their boxes claiming that they can't live with the noise, when the majority do not have a problem. This is not unique to Humax boxes, as there are also many reports on AV forums of noisy fans in DigitalStream boxes. I must be lucky as my DS box has a quiet fan, although it is not quite as quiet as those in my Humax boxes.

I can definitely recommend removing the Orange filter as the Green display looks so much better.

Brian,
Not sure what you're getting at, but I can live with the noise if necessary but I posted on this forum to ascertain whether there was some practical help available to maybe alleviate the problem as I see it. Graham has done that.
I am not usually touchy, but your comment [Why haven't you returned your box as faulty if it bothers you so much] wasn't really helpful.
Rob

Brian,
Not sure what you're getting at, but I can live with the noise if necessary but I posted on this forum to ascertain whether there was some practical help available to maybe alleviate the problem as I see it. Graham has done that.
I am not usually touchy, but your comment [Why haven't you returned your box as faulty if it bothers you so much] wasn't really helpful.
Rob
I was simply responding to your reply to Wallace's post where you imply that your fan noise has been bad since purchasing your box 18 months ago, and as noisy fans do not seem to be normal in the HDR-FOX T2 boxes, I simply asked what others must have been thinking, why you didn't return your box as faulty. It was intended to be a helpful suggestion, I'm sorry if you didn't see it this way. You shouldn't have to wait for the guarantee to expire and then replace the fan at your own expense.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. It's just that I'm not the type to return products at the drop of a hat and I am not hearing sensitive either. I like to understand what's going on and if I can improve the box to my satisfaction for what seems to be less than a tenner, I will.
However if the overwhelming majority say the box is virtually inaudible, then I will have cause to return.
Rob

Black Hole, I certainly don't wish to labour the point, it's possible that a lot of owners are not bothered either but that's not to say that some boxes may be noisier than others and I don't suggest in any way that it is an inherent fault. They may believe, like me, this is normal.
During normal play with strong dialogue and music I don't hear it either but during quiet passages it is quite noticeable after it's been on for an hour or so.
Rob

There are a lot of variables - the acoustics of your room and the acuity of your hearing amongst them. I think BH and myself are of an age when a few frequencies drop off the audio spectrum (I never hear the fan in my Humax). Still, it sounds to me as if the noise you describe is unusual. Personally, I'd probably do as you intend - open the box and change the fan. I'd be a little hesitant to reject a product after 18 months for a 'fault' that's been present since purchase.

fenlander, thanks for your post, I am 64 and probably fall into your age bracket and for the record my wife thinks I'm deaf, but as all you chaps who've been married a long time, it's all part of a cunning plan!!
Rob

My HDR has been installed for over 18 months - the fan has never bothered me.

...by which I mean I do not regard it as making an excessive noise under the considerations of budget etc. I am an engineer (as I have mentioned a few times). Mine is pretty quiet in fact, yes I can tell it's there when the room is quiet, but with moving parts I do not expect it to be silent.

There are plenty of reasons a fan might make excessive noise after even a very few hours on the clock: bearings come to mind, or there might be something extraneous rubbing on it that shifted in transit, or even something else broken loose and fluttering in the breeze. All of those would constitute a warranty failure, in my opinion.

Meanwhile the Qumi does make excessive noise, but that is expected and a known factor before purchase, and therefore not a reason to reject it.

Back