few noob questions...

king martin

Hi all. Sorry if this is the wrong place, it seemed the most relevant.

I've not got my box yet, basically been looking for a hd pvr and was intregued by the skyplayer, custom firmware, and mods that can be done on this box. I'm pretty sure this is what I'm after.

Anyway, I've been doing some extensive reading before I purchase and just want to check my understanding is correct and maybe ask a few questions.

The main thing I'm after is the custom firmware for the custom tv portal. I understand I have to update to latest official firmware first, then get the custom firmware from the wiki page, whack it on a stick and rename. Boot up the box with it plugged in and this will load on the custom firmware modifications right?

I then need to keep a 2gb stick plugged in permanent to load more stuff on?

I've followed that ok, but don't understand how I activate the custom portal from there, and what is webif?

On the custom portal, does sky player work ok, and is it just a matter of signing up with a family members sky details to get access to it?

Also, will this void the warranty, and is there a risk ill brick the box?

Thanks in advance. The box looks awesome, I just want to get a good idea of what I have to do before I buy it?

If you are talking about HDR-FOX T2, it has an internal HDD and everything loads onto there. If it's an HD-FOX T2, you will need some kind of stick or drive plugged in, and it will need to be formatted Ext3 (HDD) or Ext2 (stick).

As a brief summary, having loaded the custom firmware through the standard USB firmware update process, you then need to access the HD/HDR-FOX via your home network and a web browser to access the Web Interface (webif). That then downloads the rest of the basic custom package from the Internet and then you get a nice control panel to select what customisations you want.

Brick the box: nobody has (that I know of). Void the warranty: probably, but as long as the box doesn't die completely you can erase all traces so who is to know?

As to the rest - a great deal has been written already, so please START HERE (click).

Thanks for the reply!

I was talking about hdr, so that's cool. No stick needed.

I'm planning on grabbing some homeplugs to get the box on the network. How will I access it from a browser, is it ip based like logging into a router?

If so will it load up a GUI or something and its a few clicks to install over the network?

Also does the sky player work ok?

Thanks again for the help :)

I'm planning on grabbing some homeplugs to get the box on the network. How will I access it from a browser, is it ip based like logging into a router?

Yes, that's the easiest way unless you have some sort of internal DNS at home. Just enter the IP Address of your Humax into the address bar of a browser.

If so will it load up a GUI or something and its a few clicks to install over the network?

Yes - see screenshots along with instructions here: http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Install_Full_Web_Interface

Also does the sky player work ok?

Yes, it works fine for me, although I haven't worked out why I can't see all the channels yet - probably something to do with the Sky Go account I'm using... Other people can see them.

Wicked mate. Thanks a lot for that.

I'll do a bit more reading and post back if I have any probs when I've got my box :)

The references I gave before will take you through it step-by-step, particularly Black Hole's Trail Guide.

Ok, cheers.

While I'm on, do you guys know anything about sky player?

My mum has sky plus, single room and broadband with another provider. Can she get skyplayer for free and then give me a sign on? The site seems to suggest you can assign 2 receivers or pcs etc for it but I can't find the pricing? Obviously I'd rather not pay, bit even just a few extra channels the same subscription as she has is a bonus for nothing?!

If I can't find an answer I think ill have to ring up sky and ask them..

Somebody with a sky sub can access skyplayer from n (n>1) Internet devices, but of course if the subscriber isn't using all those connections they could pass on the login details. It's already done by users on here.

Right, I've got my box, still only got the std firmware on it at the minute..

Wondering how I set it up to stream movies from my pc over the network? I've done some extensive searches but I can't find out a step by step guide anywhere.

I've got an o2 router with hone plug attached. Another home plug to humax.

O2 router then connects to a fon router that wifis to pc.

I can ping the box from the pc and it replies. I can also connect to it by ftp from the pc.

I'm running xp pro and media player 11. I've added all my Divx movies and mp3s to the library and gone to media sharing, and it scans but finds nothing? Am I right in thinking it should find the humax and I have to "allow" it?

Am I doing something completely wrong?

The humax is turned on when its searching.

Also I have an Android phone with dnla - a HTC desire hd. Am I right in thinking I should be able to stream my photos and videos through the box too?

I just can't work it out at all?

Once you have set up a DLNA server on the PC and made your video library accessible to it, the Humax will just be able to "see" it on the network - Media.. Blue.. Network.

There are a couple of "gotchas" though - I think WMP will do server, and I'm sure XBMC will, but I don't think the Humax will play divx.

Wahoo, I've cracked it! Had to connect pc to o2 router and not fon. Bit of an arse as the range is rubbish and barely reaches, hence why I piggy backed the fon to it.

Xvid plays fine :)

Think I might have to invest in another home plug for the pc and bin off the WiFi.

I've just loaded the custom firmware on, skyplayer works fine, but I get an error on all the demand stuff. Does this not work?

Is this likely to be updated so it works?

Also is there any way I can install 4od on it too? I think I read somewhere this is available on the freesat version of the box?

Is this likely to be updated so it works?

Also is there any way I can install 4od on it too? I think I read somewhere this is available on the freesat version of the box?
Have a look at the custom portal thread http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/custom-tv-portal-now-available.660/ What's on the portal page (even the alternative custom one) is still governed at the moment by what Humax makes available - but there is room for development pages if you know how to do it and it's moving on all the time...

Thanks for that.. I've already read moat of that thread though :)

Not sure if I can maybe get 4od streaming from the pc and do it that way?

IIRC somebody on AVForums had success streaming some football channel via a PC to the Humax. Possibly could do the same thing, but if I want to do that sort of thing I simply connect the PC's HDMI output to the big screen.

IIRC somebody on AVForums had success streaming some football channel via a PC to the Humax. Possibly could do the same thing, but if I want to do that sort of thing I simply connect the PC's HDMI output to the big screen.
I wonder if it is possible to access www.liveonlinefooty.com on the custom tv portal, would be a great addition for us footy fans. Any ideas welcome !
That was the one!

I think the link you're referring to is mine, I was explaining to someone on Av forums that you can stream liveonlinefooty using WildMediaServer. This works very well and yes like you I connect up my pc via HDMI sometimes, I just thought if it could be done it would be a nice addition that's all. It's like IceFilms there's an add on for XBMC and WildMediaServer now any extras to the portal would be welcome.

Back