File Transfer from HDR Fox T2 > USB flash drive

Did you read my piece about transfer speeds, post 47? You should be getting 200MB/min. If not, there's something wrong with your HDR or the UPD you are trying to use. Given the problems you have been reporting, I favour the latter. Try another, they're cheap enough in Tesco/Asda.

There may also be tuning that can be done with the HDR, but that will involve installing CF. It ain't that difficult, and then you will have access to all kinds of management tools.

Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

Grafenwalder
It would be useful if you forgot about what you could or couldn't do on the Foxsat HDR. If GLT says that it can't be done on a Foxsat HDR, (and that's what you say you had) then its 99.9% certain that it can't and he has one so is able to check. Just concentrate on what you can do on the T2 and ask for help on that.
At the mo, I am trying to get some comparison times copying from my T2. I have copied from the T2 to my computer as a start point. 1.11Gb took 105 seconds to either the internal HDD and a USB connected HDD. That's about 10.7 MB/sec .
The problem is that I have forgotten how to copy from the T2 to my external UDB drive.
Please remind me how to do it. (BH?) Can't find it in Things Every.

Ok maybe so.....it was some time ago i had the Humax Freesat.

I'm not sure how you got that impression from what i posted which was, "The previously owned Humax i had was a Freesat model (i showed an Amazon link) with a 320gb drive. From memory once a file on the hard drive had been selected and flash drive plugged in, you clicked on "move file" and the onscreen display showed a % bar loading so you could clearly see how much was left to go. "

The Fox T2 just displays a "whirling star" saying "copying" with no visible sign of the progress.....that was the point i was making.

I have the same box. Not at home at the moment, when I get back I will copy a file to usb and post what you see.

Grafenwalder
It would be useful if you forgot about what you could or couldn't do on the Foxsat HDR. If GLT says that it can't be done on a Foxsat HDR, (and that's what you say you had) then its 99.9% certain that it can't and he has one so is able to check. Just concentrate on what you can do on the T2 and ask for help on that.
At the mo, I am trying to get some comparison times copying from my T2. I have copied from the T2 to my computer as a start point. 1.11Gb took 105 seconds to either the internal HDD and a USB connected HDD. That's about 10.7 MB/sec .
The problem is that I have forgotten how to copy from the T2 to my external UDB drive.
Please remind me how to do it. (BH?) Can't find it in Things Every.

See post 27

When I get to the "press red" bit. The red button (on screen is greyed out and I can't create a new folder. Disc is a 500GB out of my Sony lappy with the OS still on it. Created a new folder on computer. (Write protected NTFS?) Formatted another drive Ext3. Get further, but like OP doesn't seem to work.
Red button not now greyed out. Press it. Message on screen "The file has been added for copy" but no activity on the drive. As I don't know what I am doing, I give up.

Last edited:
I don't understand what the problem could be - except scratching around with a second-hand UPD/drive! All we're talking about here is the standard interface all users have available - regardless of CF. Don't forget that the normal non-techie home user just goes and buys a UPD/drive from Tesco... a UPD will probably be FAT already, but a drive will lilely be NTFS and therefore useless without CF+ntfs-3g - but they can go into Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage and format it. Then you use Media to find something you want to copy, highlight it, press OPT+ >> Move/Copy...

I don't know why you want to bother though, I'm telling you it's 200MB/min.

I don't know why you want to bother though, I'm telling you it's 200MB/min.
But you can make it work and both the OP and I can't (to different levels) I was just trying to see how long it took a 30 min programme to copy without having to go through all kinds of advanced theoretical calculations without any complications of B and b thrown in for good measure. The OP said it took a long time and then wasn't visible on his PC. I was just trying to measure the copy time with a stopwatch then see if I could see the stuff on my PC.
That's why I am bothering.

I owe Grafenwalder an apology (I haven't copied a file from my Foxsat this way since 2010). There is a dirty great progress banner that you can't get rid of (must be a right pain if you are copying lots of files). On completion it asks if you want to delete the source files. It took 10 mins and 48 seconds to transfer a 1.28 GB file (2013 KB/second)CopyFile.jpg . Pretty much the same time as a HDR FOX T2 working with unencrypted content.

That's pretty close to what BH said for the T2.
Presumably you can see the files on your PC?
There seems to be conflicting info here. GLT says *copying in the top right (post 26) and OPs last picture in post 27 shows a damn great copying screen without raising comment. Which is correct?

Did you read my piece about transfer speeds, post 47? You should be getting 200MB/min. If not, there's something wrong with your HDR or the UPD you are trying to use. Given the problems you have been reporting, I favour the latter. Try another, they're cheap enough in Tesco/Asda.

There may also be tuning that can be done with the HDR, but that will involve installing CF. It ain't that difficult, and then you will have access to all kinds of management tools.

Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

Yes you may have a point there re. the flash. I've got four flash drives but they are all the same brand (Sandisk) so not much point in using another. I have read your post #47 and will have to "soak up" the info more. Maybe i was being a bit hasty with commenting about the Fox T2 last night but i was exhausted! This afternoon i've successfully drawn six files off.

I owe Grafenwalder an apology (I haven't copied a file from my Foxsat this way since 2010). There is a dirty great progress banner that you can't get rid of (must be a right pain if you are copying lots of files). On completion it asks if you want to delete the source files. It took 10 mins and 48 seconds to transfer a 1.28 GB file (2013 KB/second)View attachment 2587 . Pretty much the same time as a HDR FOX T2 working with unencrypted content.

Thats the thing!! That's exactly what i meant even though it's a while since i last had my Foxsat i was certain about that progress bar. To me that would be useful on the Fox T2 rather than that "whirring star" thing which isn't really ideal. At least with a progress bar it's clear to see whats going on whereas the Fox T2 leaves you guessing! No idea why Humax dropped it when they made the Fox T2. I know they took the USB port away from later pvr models including later Foxsats.

That's pretty close to what BH said for the T2.
Presumably you can see the files on your PC?
There seems to be conflicting info here. GLT says *copying in the top right (post 26) and OPs last picture in post 27 shows a damn great copying screen without raising comment. Which is correct?

The copying picture was from a HDR FOX T2 It's overlaid over the live video when you exit from the File copy menus or if you let it time out. On the Foxsat copying to USB you can't get rid of the copying overlay. Fact is on both machines copying by FTP or Windows Explorer is so much better (You get the progress without affecting the box live/recording playback in anyway.

Last edited:
Yes you may have a point there re. the flash. I've got four flash drives but they are all the same brand (Sandisk) so not much point in using another. I have read your post #47 and will have to "soak up" the info more. Maybe i was being a bit hasty with commenting about the Fox T2 last night but i was exhausted! This afternoon i've successfully drawn six files off.

Thats the thing!! That's exactly what i meant even though it's a while since i last had my Foxsat i was certain about that progress bar. To me that would be useful on the Fox T2 rather than that "whirring star" thing which isn't really ideal. At least with a progress bar it's clear to see whats going on whereas the Fox T2 leaves you guessing! No idea why Humax dropped it when they made the Fox T2. I know they took the USB port away from later pvr models including later Foxsats.

There aren't any later Foxsats (The Foxsat-HDR was the one and only twin tuner Freesat+ first generation Humax ever made). The 2nd Generation HDRxxxxS models have usb that can't be used for exporting recordings but unlike the Foxsat-HDR can be used to replay your own files without needing to create the sidecar files.

The copying picture was from a HDR FOX T2 It's overlaid over the live video when you exit from the File copy menus or if you let it time out.
Not on mine it didn't earlier when I successfully finally copied onto a USB Drive. Just get the *Copying thingy at the top right.

Yes, that's what I get, but the one that I was on about was this one posted in post #28.
ftivf7.jpg

Ah. perhaps that's just the top right of his screen.

Back