File Transfer from HDR Fox T2 > USB flash drive

Format a stick FAT32 with the Foxsat on and it's output displayed on the screen stick it in the front USB port on the Foxsat.
OMG, that's hardly a model of clarity.
What's this fixation with flippin' FoxSat? He's trying to use a T2. <exasperated>

Can you see a jpeg file copied from your PC to your stick and view it using the Foxsat ?

Follow this exactly

Format a stick FAT32 with the Foxsat on and it's output displayed on the screen stick it in the front USB port on the Foxsat.

A message should come up saying A USB Device has been connected.

Press the remote media button. Press OPT + and OK on File Manager. Press right to select the USB device sda 1(x) x is the number of files in the root. Important press OK to open the device to the root folder.

Press left and locate a SD recording. Press green to start the copy. After the copy is complete.

Transfer the stick to a PC and open it in file manager. There should be 3 files xxxx.ts, xxxx.nts and xxxx,hmt. The .ts should be a playable SD recording.

Ok first i should point out again it's a HDR Fox T2 i'm using and not the Foxsat model so this may account for some misinterpretation in your instructions. I spent ages fiddling around with it today then thought the best idea is try and show the procedure i'm following by taking photos of the on-screen displays. Apologies for the rather large pics!

Stick is a Sandisk 16gb formatted in FAT32 on pc.

Turn Fox T2 on > insert flash drive (or stick) to usb port on front. I then get the below;

153mjiq.jpg

Click video to scroll through programmes below here;

p6nhd.jpg

Select programme i want to copy (for trial purposes i've been using a very small file at just 17 minutes long)

14bni87.jpg

Switch from HDD to USB

vgmxz9.jpg

When i OK this it requires red button to make copy.......it then begins copying and shows it's doing just that onscreen

I wait until the copying has finished.

As explained before, the file now on the flash drive/stick will play through the Humax proving it is there. But when i remove the flash drive/stick, plug into my pc, click "open".....it states "there are no files in this folder".

There is nothing wrong with the flash drive/stick or pc......obviously i am doing something wrong, but i cannot figure what or at which point.

So when you select the file to be copied, then 'Opt+' and scroll to 'Move/copy', when you press 'OK' do you get a screen like this? There may be a few seconds of lag.
Copy.jpg

There is something wrong with your third photo. That looks more like the screen you see when selecting USB from Media >> Storage (blue) than when selecting it as a destination for copy.

Your first picture: when the GUI pops up on inserting a UPD, just press Exit.

Press Media and find the source file:

image.jpeg

Press OPT+, then select Move/Copy:

image.jpeg

Press OK, and you should be presented with a list of drives available in a pop-up - not as the main screen:

image.jpeg

In this case, "Rainbow Line" just happens to be what the UPD I'm using announces itself as. Yours looks like it will be called "Flash Disk". With the UPD selected as per the photo above, press Copy (red) to start the copy process.

However, all that aside, if you think you have copied a recording to UPD, and you are sure the recording is there (the UPD light flashes when you are playing it back, if there is one), I can't see any likelihood that the file set isn't there. I'm still pointing at your PC(s) as the problem.

What firmware version do you have ?

Here's what happens on my HDR-FOX-T2 (it has the CF installed so never need to use usb)

Put in stick and select copy as you did above.

Box displays a box with select how to copy your media files

Auto - Video,Music and Photo Files
3 Manual options for Video Files, Music Files and Photo Files

I let this time out to access via usual way.

Press Media then Blue (storage) Select USB and click OK on the connected USB drive (mine has a virtual internal USB drive created by the CF so I see two devices)

Press opt+ and select new folder, give it a name (type in name and press Yellow (Confirm). Locate the Folder and press OK to open it.

Press Blue and move back to your HDD, locate a file to copy (If you open a folder you can use green to select all files in the folder) press red to select a single file.

Opt + select MOVE/Copy and press OK. Select your USB Disk, and then select your created folder. Once the folder is highlighted

the red copy option should be available. You should see a message saying file has been added for copy and * Copying message top right. Once complete take stick to your PC copied files should be in the folder you created. If you aren't sure if copying is complete press media it will display the * Copying message.

One I copied while typing this image attached.

If you install the CF you can simply copy the files by drag and drop in Windows Explorer on your PC (you need the files to be auto decrypted using the CF).

Attachments

• CopiedFile.jpg
    CopiedFile.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 9
There is something wrong with your third photo. That looks more like the screen you see when selecting USB from Media >> Storage (blue) than when selecting it as a destination for copy.

Your first picture: when the GUI pops up on inserting a UPD, just press Exit.

Press Media and find the source file:

View attachment 2564

Press OPT+, then select Move/Copy:

View attachment 2565

Press OK, and you should be presented with a list of drives available in a pop-up - not as the main screen:

View attachment 2566

In this case, "Rainbow Line" just happens to be what the UPD I'm using announces itself as. Yours looks like it will be called "Flash Disk". With the UPD selected as per the photo above, press Copy (red) to start the copy process.

However, all that aside, if you think you have copied a recording to UPD, and you are sure the recording is there (the UPD light flashes when you are playing it back, if there is one), I can't see any likelihood that the file set isn't there. I'm still pointing at your PC(s) as the problem.

This seems to be the process i've been going through....

With flash drive installed i scroll through media list to select programme to copy....i've been using a 17 minute file which you can see highlighted in blue here;

2n9ma13.jpg

Press Opt+ which displays this and i then scroll to highlight Move/Copy as shown here;

2m60thy.jpg

Next window which open displays the drives. It's fairly obvious which i want to copy to so i highlight "Flash Disk". The red "copy" can easily be seen on photo and i press the red button to "move/copy"........

110luh2.jpg

which then shows it copying like so;

ftivf7.jpg

Plays perfect ok back through the Fox.......but get "no files in this folder" when i open the stick on pc.

The reason i cannot think it's anything to do with the pc is everything....and i mean everything (!!) i've copied from various flash dives and sd cards open up without problem on my pc. I don't want to confuse again but have to quote the example of the previous Humax i owned, a Freesat model.....that was so straight forward in shifting files to a flash drive it was "abc", but unlike the Fox T2 that moved files on to the flash drive..The point i'm hoping to illustrate here is i have the same computer which read the files perfectly off that model Humax.

What firmware version do you have ?

Here's what happens on my HDR-FOX-T2 (it has the CF installed so never need to use usb)

Put in stick and select copy as you did above.

Box displays a box with select how to copy your media files

Auto - Video,Music and Photo Files
3 Manual options for Video Files, Music Files and Photo Files

I let this time out to access via usual way.

Press Media then Blue (storage) Select USB and click OK on the connected USB drive (mine has a virtual internal USB drive created by the CF so I see two devices)

Press opt+ and select new folder, give it a name (type in name and press Yellow (Confirm). Locate the Folder and press OK to open it.

Press Blue and move back to your HDD, locate a file to copy (If you open a folder you can use green to select all files in the folder) press red to select a single file.

Opt + select MOVE/Copy and press OK. Select your USB Disk, and then select your created folder. Once the folder is highlighted

the red copy option should be available. You should see a message saying file has been added for copy and * Copying message top right. Once complete take stick to your PC copied files should be in the folder you created. If you aren't sure if copying is complete press media it will display the * Copying message.

One I copied while typing this image attached.

If you install the CF you can simply copy the files by drag and drop in Windows Explorer on your PC (you need the files to be auto decrypted using the CF).

Accessing System Information i got this under Software Version; FHTCP 1.03.12 not sure if that helps answer your question?

What do i need to go about installing 'custom firmware' and what are the benefits? I just want to get files from Humax to PC and be able to access them......i never expected to have to start 'rebuilding' a pvr!! :)

Everything looks fine there. There is no reason at all to suspect what the Humax is doing, or what you are doing with the Humax. Therefore...

If you are unwilling to get to the bottom of the problem with your PC(s) (there is a problem), you can side-step it by making the files accessible as if on network storage by using custom firmware (it's not as hard as it sounds).

See here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/quick-start-guide.1301/

Note you will need to decrypt the files before they can be usefully accessed this way - many of us do this routinely, automatically. See Things Every... (click) section 5 (and links).

Accessing System Information i got this under Software Version; FHTCP 1.03.12 not sure if that helps answer your question?

What do i need to go about installing 'custom firmware' and what are the benefits? I just want to get files from Humax to PC and be able to access them......i never expected to have to start 'rebuilding' a pvr!! :)

Black Hole has answered that. Try the procedure I used to copy content to a subfolder, I suspect the issue is copying to the usb root device, it also copies the file and does not touch the original.

Black Hole has answered that. Try the procedure I used to copy content to a subfolder, I suspect the issue is copying to the usb root device, it also copies the file and does not touch the original.
Ok thanks and cheers on that. Will give it a go tomorrow and let you know the result as quite frankly it's worn me down! Fond memories of my old 'Hummy' which was simple "plug n play" without all this!!

Grafenwalder - the way you are copying files is fine. It should just work. There is no difference between copying into a subfolder or on to the root of a USB stick, both should just work. To clarify, the only difference between moving and copying from one drive to another is that with a move operation, the original is deleted after copying. The only time that a move operation does not involve copying is when a file is moved from one directory to another on the same partition of the same physical disk. The HDR-FOX is unusual in that it will decrypt on the fly when it is performing the copy operation. It is possible that your unit is failing to copy the file due to a problem with this process, but this a fault that I have never seen reported.
Have you tried to copy a different recording? It is possible that the one you have been testing it with is corrupted in some fashion.
When you try and open the files on the PC, what program are you using? I doubt it is Windows Explorer, this would just show an empty folder, you would not get a message like "there are no files in this folder" which is what you reported in your first post. If are trying to open the file directly within a video player program be aware that there is often a drop down menu which has a selectable file extension. If, for example, such a menu was set up for mp4 files, it would not display the transport stream (ts) files that the HDR-FOX saves.

That's a good point. If the method Grafenwalder is using to look for files on the UPD can't see the .ts (even though we know it's there), he won't be able to see them via a network share either.

Now we are certain there's nothing wrong at the Humax end, please talk us through exactly what you are doing at the PC end (with photos).

Nonetheless, that's all we have to go on.

Grafenwalder: Don't go to the trouble of installing CF just yet. Let's have a screen shot of the Humax displaying the file in the UPD "Flash Disk" - like the last photo in your post 23 but the next level down. Then a screen shot of your PC trying to find the same file.

I'm sure the problem would be obvious if we could see what's going on - there's something you are (inadvertently) not telling us.

Last edited:
Grafenwalder - the way you are copying files is fine. It should just work. There is no difference between copying into a subfolder or on to the root of a USB stick, both should just work. To clarify, the only difference between moving and copying from one drive to another is that with a move operation, the original is deleted after copying. The only time that a move operation does not involve copying is when a file is moved from one directory to another on the same partition of the same physical disk. The HDR-FOX is unusual in that it will decrypt on the fly when it is performing the copy operation. It is possible that your unit is failing to copy the file due to a problem with this process, but this a fault that I have never seen reported.
Have you tried to copy a different recording? It is possible that the one you have been testing it with is corrupted in some fashion.
When you try and open the files on the PC, what program are you using? I doubt it is Windows Explorer, this would just show an empty folder, you would not get a message like "there are no files in this folder" which is what you reported in your first post. If are trying to open the file directly within a video player program be aware that there is often a drop down menu which has a selectable file extension. If, for example, such a menu was set up for mp4 files, it would not display the transport stream (ts) files that the HDR-FOX saves.

Interested to see if a folder created on the box is visible on the PC. Doing this ensures the folder actually exists.

Nonetheless, that's all we have to go on.

Grafenwalder: Don't go to the trouble of installing CF just yet. Let's have a screen shot of the Humax displaying the file in the UPD "Flash Disk" - like the last photo in your post 23 but the next level down. Then a screen shot of your PC trying to find the same file.

I'm sure the problem would be obvious if we could see what's going on - there's something you are (inadvertently) not telling us.

Apologies for the delay but here is the latest update (apologies also for the whacking sized pics....how do you guys make 'em fit small?);

Screen shot of Humax showing file on flash drive

30hpzxt.jpg

Screenshot of file playing off flash disk thru Humax

95ydet.jpg

Screenshot showing flash drive (J) plugged in pc

r8we47.jpg

Clicked "open" and............

11ac1ds.jpg

Oh brother!! And yes......it does play!! :rolleyes:

The only thing i've done differently from before is to load another file. Absolutely no idea why the other one i tried won't load. This file is a 1 hour long BBC programme and must admit it took a staggeringly long time to copy.....nowhere near as quick as the Humax Freesat. But at least it copies!

Back