Filesystem problems

Does anyone know what the warning message 'There are filesystem problems ..
. With the hard drive on this ... Filesystem /mnt/hd2 on /dev/sdb2 is read only'
I have ran a diskfix yesterday but the message has returned.
Thanks

I have ran a diskfix yesterday but the message has returned.
Did you get a clean run, or just settle for the first run?

The SMART status should give a pretty good (but not infallible) idea of the health of the actual disk, and if the disk is OK then fixdisk should sort out file system inconsistencies... but can take multiple iterations. What you're looking for is a run which ends with no errors found.

by clean run, I take it you mean, one in which there are no reported errors?
Absolutely.

The problem is that fixdisk might sort a load of stuff out and say it's finished, but if you run it again you find there's more inconsistencies which have occurred since or were hidden by the previous lot. If you find you never get a clean run, that's a sure sign the disk either needs reformatting or replacing.

Okay, that makes it clear, thank you very much. I will run fixdisk a few times over the week and see what happens.
Absolutely.

The problem is that fixdisk might sort a load of stuff out and say it's finished, but if you run it again you find there's more inconsistencies which have occurred since or were hidden by the previous lot. If you find you never get a clean run, that's a sure sign the disk either needs reformatting or replacing.
I have ran fixdisk for times over the last 3 days, it the same error,'' memory allocation failed"
So what next?

Backup, re-format and restore is your only viable option. Just get on with it and don't bother trying to fixdisk it. It's beyond that.

Back