Firmware Upload

Dombert

I have an HB-1000S box that appears to have corrupted firmware. The box boots to the initial setup screen and then hangs with no inputs accepted from the handset. The front panel standby switch works ok.

I have downloaded the file for 3.00.20 from the Humax site and made up a USB stick. The instructions on the Humax site say "Press and hold the Channel DOWN button/arrow on the front/top of your set top box and at the same time switch it back on at the mains or reconnect the power cable".

Ok - there is no front panel Channel Up/Down button!

So how do you force a power up install of the firmware from a USB stick or another port?

If the instructions on the Humax site don't match your product, maybe it's worth checking that you have downloaded the correct firmware, products have different procedures for installing firmware and obviously if the file you have downloaded is for another product, it is not going to work on yours

I have an HB-1000S box that appears to have corrupted firmware. The box boots to the initial setup screen and then hangs with no inputs accepted from the handset. The front panel standby switch works ok.

I have downloaded the file for 3.00.20 from the Humax site and made up a USB stick. The instructions on the Humax site say "Press and hold the Channel DOWN button/arrow on the front/top of your set top box and at the same time switch it back on at the mains or reconnect the power cable".

So how do you force a power up install of the firmware from a USB stick or another port?

Instructions same as HDR but hold in standby button on unit when powering up instead of non
existent Channel DOWN button.

Thanks - the current download on the Humax site is 3.00.20 with v1.00 loader. When extracted it creates a file "hb1000s_upgrade.hdf". Humax site seems to show the same file version for all Freesat Freetime box versions.

Found a very helpful procedure for Foxsat HDR which details the power boot method and stick preparation.

Tried a good HB 1000S box

Made up a Sandisk 8GB stick with FAT32 formatting and tried the 30 sec hold down while switching on power with the stick in the USB below the Ethernet port. Screen just stayed at the initial Humax Freetime logo screen.

Made up a Sandisk 2GB stick the same and the box went straight to the loader and installed the firmware. Then made an OTA upgrade to 3.00.31. So it looks like stick size is an issue.

Did the same on the problem HB 1000S box and upgrade worked fine as well. Unfortunately it didn't clear the problem. Box boots fine and goes to initial setup screen, but wont respond to the handset to move to "NEXT". Using the known good handset from the known good box, so looks like there is a problem with the handset command receiver. I don't know if these are replaceable.

There has been a long standing issue of Humax boxes being a bit picky on USB sticks. Seems like that still hasn't been fixed.

Did the same on the problem HB 1000S box and upgrade worked fine as well. Unfortunately it didn't clear the problem. Box boots fine and goes to initial setup screen, but wont respond to the handset to move to "NEXT". Using the known good handset from the known good box, so looks like there is a problem with the handset command receiver. I don't know if these are replaceable.

After the upgrade, put the box into standby using the standby button on unit.
Then using the remote will the box come OUT of standby? If it does then the command receiver must be working.

There has been a long standing issue of Humax boxes being a bit picky on USB sticks. Seems like that still hasn't been fixed.
It's not a question of "fixing" it. The firmware update process uses a stripped-down OS with limited driver support for UPDs. There's a huge number of driver variants, which is why a Windows computer frequently says "preparing to access drive" when you plug a new one in - Windows can call on a large number of drivers to load according to the identification response when the UPD is plugged into the socket. The minimal OS has the bog standard mass storage drivers, so you need a bog standard UPD.

More info: Things Every... (click) section 12.

Don't be so condescending. The Hummy IS picky as we all know, and they haven't fixed it so that will take any UPD. And just what is your definition of a 'bog standard UPD'? It's not in your Things Every. That's just about as definitive as my 'picky' statement.

My point is that it isn't possible to make it take any UPD. And I had no intention of being condescending - the information is there for all.

Checked the command receiver is working - pin 3 is showing acivity when handset is pressed. Also box responds to volume, mute and standby commands. Remade solder joints but that didn't solve the problem, but it was a long shot as the limited response recognition suggests that commands are getting to the main chip. Handset is ok as it is a known good when working with another HB-1000S box. The box is quite happy sitting waiting for "Next" on the initial setup screen and not responding to "OK" button.

The USB loader issue appears to be well known, and easily handled once you know about it!

There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the Broadcom BCM7354 main device around. I did send Humax support an email pointing out their loader error on their download page, but it has not been acknowledged.

I see that Humax are selling refurbished HB-1000S boxes with 12 months warranty for £39 plus £7 shipping on their site. They will only allow a single unit to be purchased though.

Check your remote hasn't reset the infra red control mode. It's not unknown for them to change mode all by themselves. (Usually back to mode 1).

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-more-than-1-humax-box-in-the-same-room.6007/

I think the handset mode is ok unless you can correct my thinking, as I have the luxury of another "good" HB-1000S box to check functionality side by side. That's why I think it is a box issue rather than a handset issue as there is full unctionali8ty with the good box and limited on the problem box with the same handset. Will check the instructions you posted as nothing can be ruled out!

The help I found on the loader was written for the Foxsat, but its the same loader. It details the formatting etc and recommends a 1gb stick. A lot more helpful and accurate than the instructions on the Humax support site!

I used the USB on the back panel below the Ethernet port.

Upgrade Procedure (for Loader & Firmware)

After having spent many hours trying to get a memory stick recognised by the Humax Foxsat HDR, I finally got it working. Here is the solution (in detail):

· Use a 1GB memory stick. It is possible larger capacity USB sticks may work (but you'd need to try them).

· Fully Re-Format it (do not use 'Quick Format') to FAT32 4096 byte Allocation Unit Size/Cluster Size. To do this put the stick into the USB socket of your PC, click on "Computer" or "My Computer" and highlight the memory stick with one left mouse click then right mouse click on it and choose "Format".

· Choose "File System" FAT32 and Allocation Unit Size 4096 Bytes. Uncheck "Quick Format" under Format Options and click the "Start Button". This process will erase the entire contents of the Memory Stick - so back up anything you want to keep first! It should take several minutes to complete.

· Copy the Humax firmware to the memory stick and make sure that the file name is FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf. If the firmware you have downloaded from the Humax site is called something different, then rename the file and ensure that it has the necessary ".hdf" file extension.

· Verify the firmware is on the memory stick. It must not be in a folder on the memory stick - so place it in the root of the drive. There should be no other files on the stick, other than the Humax Firmware.

· Prepare the box - With the Foxsat in "Standby" (red light on front panel) open the front cover and plug in the memory stick into the front panel USB socket.

· Apply the software upgrade - Press and hold the Foxsat's silver front panel "Standby" switch for 30 seconds with your TV powered "on". After just a few seconds the download screen should be displayed. Continue holding the button pressed until the 30 seconds is up and then release.

· Wait for download completion - When the firmware upgrade is completed the on-screen menu will say "Success Downloading" and the Front Panel display should show "End".

· Re-boot - Press the Standby button again and then re-boot the Foxsat HDR with its firmware update applied.

· Job done!

· Say thank-you - Please link to this page if you found this useful - 'Tweet' it or 'Facebook Like' it to help others find a solution!

Is this directly applicable to the HB-1000S? If so, and as this is in the HB-1000S section of the forum, the above needs editing to reflect HB-1000S to avoid confusion.

I'm not convinced this counts as "easily handled" - it can be quite difficult identifying a UPD that works, particularly if you do not already possess older ones to try. Those generally available to purchase are typically 4GB+.

Yes, confusing.:frantic: Although we appreciate your input, are the instructions for the Foxsat HDR or the 1000S? If the 1000S, is the update file really called "FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf"?

The 8GB ones I used didn't work. After reading these instructions, I tried smaller ones I got as free promotion giveaways with company product information and this worked when I followed these instructions. the 8GB ones were recognised for recording storage but not as boot loaders.

There are zip download files on the Humax site for each Freesat product which contain the right hdr file when extracted. They all use the same UKSFAC 1.00 loader version to install. The instructions on the Humax website use the Channel DOWN button on the STB to start the loader, which is problem on the boxes with only a STANDBY button. It looks like the same loader has been used for sometime (back to FOXSAT certainly) and they haven't updated the instructions frr the later products. So the instructions look like they will work for all the boxes if the right product HDR zip file is downloaded form the Humax website. Mine was named "hb1000s_upgrade.hdf" for the HB-1000S

Its a pity they deleted the hard buttons they had on the FOXSAT, would have made life easier when troubleshooting.

Back