Fix-Disk Delete Loop Request

Ezra Pound

I have had to run Maintenance Mode Disk Check (fix-disk) twice this week to cure the '*Deleting' loop problem, (before this week I have never had the *Deleting problem in over 15000 hours of HDR-Fox T2 viewing), my question is, would it be possible to either give the *Deleting fix it's own menu option under Maintenance Mode or place it higher in the list within the fix-disk routine. In my case fix-disk runs without finding any problems but still takes 34 Minutes to get to the 'Are you having problems with a delete loop [Y/N]?' question, if it could be executed earlier in the list of fix-disk tasks it would help

Hi all.

I had the same problem after the clocks changed.

Agree about having a menu option for *Deleting fix if possible.

Thanks.

Makes sense, or as a maintenance menu option in its own right.

IIRC the "fix" only involves deleting a specific file and then rebooting, so it could also be done on the command line, via FTP (with root access), WebIF diagnostics... or even a special button added to the Diagnostics page.

You shouldn't need to force it once the Humax process has been stopped. Using minimum force is usually a good way to operate.

If you can decide (between you) whether or not the -f flag is preferred, it strikes me that this would make a diagnostic script.

It makes very little practical difference.
As for "force" or not, I quote from the "man rm" page:

-f, --force
ignore nonexistent files and arguments, never prompt

It makes very little practical difference.
As for "force" or not, I quote from the "man rm" page:

-f, --force
ignore nonexistent files and arguments, never prompt
If you're scripting this command then -f would be the option to use as you would probably not want to halt the script waiting for user input. Used interactively it would not matter either way.
Try rm --help which is what I quoted from.

I would say definitely when you give it the -i option, without any doubt. As to the rest I'm really not sure.
There must be a difference between using -f and using no argument at all otherwise why even have the 'Never prompt' argument at all.
If you do use the -f option then at least you can rest assured that it wont stop a script when you don't want it to.
I reckon it just supresses output messages, but can you guarantee that it won't stop a script if you don't use it ?

Last edited:
Well, when all else fails, read the manual source code...
It turns out that unless you deliberately tell it to prompt, the ONLY way it will prompt is if the file is write protected (no 'w' bit set) AND you are not the root user. Seeing as everything runs as root on the Humax, there is no way it will ever prompt unless you tell it to, and you are definitely not telling it to with either of the variants listed above.
So you might as well save yourself the typing and drop the '-f'.
(I tested it on Ubuntu as user level and root level, and there it does make a difference.)

Back