[FlatView] Provide flattened view of recordings

This was in the HD-Fox section but ...
....... I wondered whether there was any way to start and control playback of media files through the webif though? I'd like to play music files from a SMB share through the humax. I have done this already using the auto mount package and the remote but this requires having the TV to be on to navigate to the files. Control through the webif on my phone would remove the need for the TV, but I can't see any sign of this being an option.

It is a bummer having to "navigate to the files" , choping and changing folders but you can only select files within a folder to play in sequence like a playlist.

However, if you were using an HDR-FOX (not HD-FOX).

Maybe if you asked could you select multiple files in webif and have them packaged in a folder (similar to flatview for "unwatched recordings" on HDR-FOX) then if that was possible and a package was available to link selected recordings to a playlist/flatview folder then using the remote select all in that folder and press play for your playlist. Less navigation but.......?? TV would still have to be on.

I can see that might work (with minimal - not zero - interaction at the TV). It will be difficult to ensure the selected recordings are listed in the preferred order though; that would mean massaging the .hmt (for TS files) or the file timestamp (non-TS), which you couldn't do for a virtualised file set without modifying the original files (unless the TS is virtualised but there is a real proxy .hmt?).

The question is whether there would be enough demand for such a feature as to justify af's time and interest.

If this sub-topic has legs, I recommend it is split into its own topic.

I've found a bug 🪳! :frantic:
(Applies to HD-FOX, HDR-FOX TBC)

Playing a new recording from within [Flatview] generates a thumbnail which only exists in [Flatview] - the same recording in its native folder has no .thm file.

Also vice versa: playing a new recording from within its native folder generates a thumbnail which only exists in its native folder - the same recording in [Flatview] has no .thm file.

I've found a bug 🪳! :frantic:
(Applies to HD-FOX, HDR-FOX TBC)

Playing a new recording from within [Flatview] generates a thumbnail which only exists in [Flatview] - the same recording in its native folder has no .thm file.

Also vice versa: playing a new recording from within its native folder generates a thumbnail which only exists in its native folder - the same recording in [Flatview] has no .thm file.
Yes, it also applies to thumbnails that are generated with the thumbnails package, thumbnails tend to get generated after the recording is cloned into flatview folder and are not detected as changes to the recording.

To ensure my [FlatView] recordings have thumbnails I have a sweeper rule for the folder
1604231228817.png

Fortunately both thumbnails are deleted when the recording is deleted so I don't have a buildup of orphaned thumbnails

You call it a bug - I call it a feature!

I use this all the time to set "attractive" thumbnails for my recordings - usually the title card. I play the flatview version of the recording and navigate to the frame I want, then stop. I then use Resume Play on the 'real' version of the recording, and hey presto, I have the thumbnail I want.

Yes, you can set thumbnails via the custom firmware, but in my experience this only works on external drives, not the built-in one, and my method is much quicker. So please, don't fix this "bug" in any future updates!

Set Thumbnail is greyed out for me when looking at the internal drive, but it works fine on an external USB drive. I didn't know I was special!

:)
Set thumbnail requires a decrypted recording to operate on, if you don't routinely decrypt recordings the option will not be available

Aha! I never manually decrypt recordings, although they get decrypted when copied I assume, hence being able to set thumbnails externally.

I assumed that the software was decrypting HD recordings automatically, as they have the orange ENC icon while recording, which disappears shortly after recording ends.

Anyway, it's a lovely accidental feature for creating quick thumbnails, so thank you, even if it wasn't intended!

I assumed that the software was decrypting HD recordings automatically, as they have the orange ENC icon while recording, which disappears shortly after recording ends.
FFS. The "Enc" icon means the same as it does in the SUI (standard user interface) – the recording is locked (won't decrypt by USB copy or be served by DLNA to a non-compliant client). It does not mean "encrypted" (although any recording is). Recordings that are no longer encrypted are marked "Dec". Recordings marked neither Enc nor Dec are encrypted but not locked.

HiDef recordings (which are recorded Enc) become unlocked automatically if you have the auto-unprotect package installed. This is one of the first things the CF was used for (and the original driver).

This is very basic stuff.

I assumed that the software was decrypting HD recordings automatically
You can if you like. See Things Every... (click) section 5.

Anyway, it's a lovely accidental feature for creating quick thumbnails, so thank you, even if it wasn't intended!
Yes, thanks. I'll write it up properly!

That's rather like the guy who was signalling left when he was turning right. The indicator stalk was on the opposite side of the steering wheel than he was used to, and thought up must still mean left. In other words: you're just guessing!

That's rather like the guy who was signalling left when he was turning right. The indicator stalk was on the opposite side of the steering wheel than he was used to, and thought up must still mean left.
Never done that. Turned the wipers on instead of indicating - now that's a different matter!

Back