forced retune

It's not quite so minor if you're actually doing the work at a TX site, which is why it takes hours.
I wouldn't fancy being up the transmitter in the first place (don't like heights), but being microwaved (sort-of) by the transmitter whilst doing it is a definite no-no.

I wouldn't fancy being up the transmitter in the first place (don't like heights), but being microwaved (sort-of) by the transmitter whilst doing it is a definite no-no.

It would never have occurred to me that changing muxes around would require someone to climb the mast.

Couldn't guarantee that it does. As the change is to place COM7 and COM8 throughout the country on UHF 55 and 56, I would expect some tweaking of radiation pattern and power would be needed. Someone needs to get up there and move bits around. Better they are not fried whilst doing it.

It would never have occurred to me that changing muxes around would require someone to climb the mast.
I expect it all happens in the equipment at ground level. No-one in their right mind would go up in the dark. Hopefully whatever prep. is required has already been done in the light.

I'd imagine that with this sort of thing in mind, and the costs and inconvenience of making changes at the top of the mast, all major transmitters have a full complement of hardware above ground level. Changes like this would then be done by altering settings, changing wiring and fitting different equipment in the shed at the bottom.

The only time I had a tour of the Crystal Palace transmitters they still had the 405 line transmitters operating!
Equipment has probably moved on since the 1970s :)

It's not the transmitter, it's the aerial array you need to beware of.
I stood right by a BBC2 Analogue transmitter once and the only thing I had to resist was lifting up the plastic cover over a button marked "Off" and... :D

After the re-tune my humax refuses to see chnls 55 and 56 so all the HD BBC4, forces TV is missing. Try as I might I cannot get the box to see anything on those channels. I have even done a factory reboot but nothing. So a big thanks to Freeview, giving less as time progresses. :). Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? My tranmitter is sandy heath camb/bed.

After the re-tune my humax refuses to see chnls 55 and 56 so all the HD BBC4, forces TV is missing. Try as I might I cannot get the box to see anything on those channels. I have even done a factory reboot but nothing. So a big thanks to Freeview, giving less as time progresses. :). Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? My tranmitter is sandy heath camb/bed.
See this thread: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/retune-21-3-18-rowridge-lost-com-8-resolved.8615/page-3
which is the same problem, and my final solution at post #45.

Are you sure it was a retune and not a random factory reset event?
This happened to my box on 2nd September when it was switched on, it's the first time I've seen this. Asked for language of subtitles, so obviously a factory reset! CF still there but lost all my scheduled recordings even though auto-schedule-restore is installed. Is there a way to restore the schedule backup from the command line or will it have been deleted with the reset?

Is there a way to restore the schedule backup from the command line or will it have been deleted with the reset?
The web-if has a schedule option for viewing your schedule. Within that there are 3 tabs. The third tab lists all the available schedule backups and has options for restoring from any of them.
1536065191120.png

CF still there but lost all my scheduled recordings even though auto-schedule-restore is installed.
I've had that this year. I removed the power on/off timer and on the next reboot the auto restore kicked in, (but picked up the latest backup which just had 1 timer in it and so I had to trigger it manually anyway).

Back