Retune 21-3-18 (Rowridge) - lost Com 8 (Resolved)

If you're in a weaker signal area then that makes sense, but he's in sight of CP with a loft aerial! A cheap wideband will be perfectly adequate.

'Line of sight' rather than actual sight. CP is 15 miles away. I can see AP but not CP!

Pointing it in the right direction seems to help.

I purchased this one but unfortunately it could only find upto channel 31 so it is going back. It does state on the enclosed document 'channel 21-60' so perhaps it is faulty.
Will try and find another one...
It probably just hasn't got the gain to get COM8 which it seems (looking at the coverage checker) is quite low power at present.

Edit: Looking at post #1 again your coverage checker result is quite different to mine - must be some different transmitter antenna directions.
This is mine, for Dibden Purlieu:
RowridgeMarch2018_SO45.PNG

Last edited:
I've now fitted my extra aerial and I'm pleased to say it has worked. I'm getting COM 8 at about 50% with 100% quality, which with the reduced coverage (see #43 above) is better than I expected.
Rather than clog the thread with details, and also A.T.V. have asked to hear how it went, I've built a web page with pictures and the measurements for all the channels - Adding group E to an A to get channels 55 &56

Discovered yesterday that we'd lost COM8 again - no signal and a couple of short and very 'disturbed' recordings.

Didn't take too long to find the reason ...

AerialsAfterStorm.jpg

Group E aerial deciding it wanted to be a satellite receiver I think.

This was a couple of days after a big thunderstorm hit the Southampton area - it wasn't especially windy but there was heavy rain which I think has hit the reflector/connection block end hardest. Another trip up the ladder today to fix it.
The nuts holding the U-section to the round cross-arm are those 'hex with wings' ones which I'd done up with my fingers, but I'm clearly not strong enough. They've now been spannered!

Following today's changes on Rowridge I have lost Com7 on Humax and all TV's

Fortunately there is nothing that I need on that mux.

When I first accessed the Humax this morning (which updated tunefix-update overnight) it showed both Com7 and Com8:
Mux Info 02-05-2018.jpg
Unfortunately after a retune I have lost Com7 and Com8 Humaxs but okay on TV...

Following today's changes on Rowridge I have lost Com7 on Humax and all TV's.
Might be worth swapping the aerial flylead for another - I've had pre-made flyleads where a slighly dodgy termination combined with the length has killed a multiplex.

The latest one was only a couple of days back when I changed the flylead used to connect the aerial feed from one HDR to another and it killed Ch55/COM7 on both. Swapped it for one I'd made using proper CT100 coax correctly terminated and back it came.

When I first accessed the Humax this morning...
How'd you get that full display of mux info?

The display I get here has only one channel/mux with signal and quality >0 and that doesn't tie in with the mux box is currently tuned to, so I presume I'm missing something.

If you tune everything together then you get a snapshot of the data for all MUXs.. if you tune just a single MUX by hand then all of the other data gets flushed and you only see data for that one MUX.

If you tune everything together then you get a snapshot of the data for all MUXs.. if you tune just a single MUX by hand then all of the other data gets flushed and you only see data for that one MUX.
Tunefix caches the data and restores if it it's 0. So the answer to this problem is to install tunefix, then do a full auto-retune, then reboot (to populate the cache). Then if the user does a manual retune for whatever reason at some later time, all other muxes. which will have had their figures set to 0 will get corrected on next boot.

Only if you have a HD/HDR Fox-T2 of course (seeing as this is not the CF part of the forum).

Following today's changes on Rowridge I have lost Com7 on Humax and all TV's
Have you still got COM8? If you have, then something weird is happening. If not, then your aerial/downlead/rx infrastructure is in need of attention.

Ah, of course. Should have spotted that - I always do a manual tune.

Turned on the Humax this evening and a message appeared at the top of the screen saying something to the effect that the broadcaster had changed 'something' and it was going to do 'something' (as you can see I did not have much of a chance to read it...) Anyway I did a manual retune on 55 and 56 and all is back. I have not touched/changed anything - the weather here was atrocious this morning but brightened up this afternoon. Coincidence ?
then your aerial/downlead/rx infrastructure is in need of attention
Could well be - will check it all again and make sure everything is secure (and thanks everthewatcher for your suggestion).
Why did you retune if you have tunefix-update installed?
(Bad) habit...

Back