Retune 21-3-18 (Rowridge) - lost Com 8 (Resolved)

Just been checking reception - I had given up even tuning Com8 as it had nothing we wanted, but I checked reception for channel 56 and got absolutely zilch, like it was non-existent. That doesn't seem to bode well for Com7 moving from 31 to 55 in May, even allowing for power disparities. I wonder if it'll need another new aerial?
Just been doing a bit more digging. My aerial is what ATV call an XB16A, which is group A. Gain does very well up to about ch 42 then plummets to 0 by ch 45. So looks like it'll be useless for ch 55 & 56.
Using an aerial to gather those (wideband) will have less gain and be more likely to pick up 4G interference :eek:
What drugs are the transmitter people on that they use such high channels on a major group A (that was) system?

Using an aerial to gather those (wideband) will have less gain and be more likely to pick up 4G interference :eek:
That's why you want a T and not a W.
What drugs are the transmitter people on that they use such high channels on a major group A (that was) system?
The ones prescribed by HM Government via Ofcom, to satisfy the phone companies' desires for ever more bandwidth, so kids can watch HD movies on 3 inch screens with shitty sound delivered via tiny little transducers stuck in their ears, and can crash into you as you walk along the pavement (or cars as they step out into the road) because they aren't looking where they are going nor listening to their surroundings.

Natural selection may help, until autonomous vehicles are programmed not to take you anywhere because of the risk of running one over.

and can crash into you as you walk along the pavement
I'm still reasonably nimble on my feet, but dodging the idiots playing with their smartphones rather than concentrating on where they are going is getting a bit wearing. Unfortunately, because they are listening to...
shitty sound delivered via tiny little transducers stuck in their ears,
...they don't hear me mouthing obscenities at them.

The ones prescribed by HM Government via Ofcom, to satisfy the phone companies' desires for ever more bandwidth,
But ... While undertaking the 700MHz clearance they've taken two muxes from group A (the opposite end of the TV spectrum), put them miles out of group, and put them well into the 700 MHz range. I find it hard to believe this was the best they could do. (I'm being polite, I couldn't publish my actual thoughts.)

I find it hard to believe this was the best they could do
It is, and it's only temporary until they turn them off altogether. You cannot condense 21-69 into 21-60 and then 21-48 without major reshuffling and implementation of SFNs for COM7/8 whilst keeping all existing services running, not introducing major interference problems, and keeping neighbouring countries with international agreements happy. Something HAS to give. And what gives is your aerial grouping.
Your unprintable thoughts are worthless. If you think you can do better, then you should be bl@@dy well employed by Arqiva sorting it all out.

I'm still reasonably nimble on my feet, but dodging the idiots playing with their smartphones rather than concentrating on where they are going is getting a bit wearing.
You need some Rosa Klebb style spikes on your footwear. Oh dear, we're back to the Russians again...

I've been in touch with ATV and his recommendation is to keep my A aerial and add an E group with a diplexer. It seems it may only be for a couple of years (that "Final prediction, 2020" in the guide is adorably vague), but at my age that's all bonus time, so I'll try that. I'll post his reply below for those who want to know more.

From ATV:
Hello Mike.
No, I wouldn`t replace the aerial, there is no wideband aerial which would give anywhere near as much signal as an XB16A. If you`re really in a poor spot I`d advise a second aerial (e.g. a Yagi 18E) linked to the A group using a CH38 diplexer :

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html#AplusWideband
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlineaerials.html#Yagi18E
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinesplittersandamps.html#TVTVdiplexers
I`d hold off on changing the amp or making any other amplifier additions (e.g. a mast head amp) till you`ve tried the above.
Regards Justin Smith

Sound like a plan. But what's the cost of doing that compared with a WB? Given that you are probably about 10 miles of Rowridge, I wouldn't thought that you would have a problem with signal strength.

Sound like a plan. But what's the cost of doing that compared with a WB? Given that you are probably about 10 miles of Rowridge, I wouldn't thought that you would have a problem with signal strength.
We are about 20 miles away and in the midst of a lot of trees, and I think there is probably some land in the way too, so the signal isn't great.
According to ATV widebands haven't got the gain of a grouped aerial (there are graphs on their site) and are generally even worse at the A end of the spectrum, so that probably wouldn't pull the weaker muxes and might even compromise the stronger ones. Better to use the right tools - ch55 & 56 are group E. The diplexer loses about 1db.
There isn't really any extra cost over getting a w/b to replace the A - the diplexer and an extra bracket to hang the E aerial off the side of the existing pole are about £30, but a good w/b aerial is about £30 more the the E :dunno: .

It's a significant faff changing the aerial system, so I'm inclined to fit the best possible set up at the outset. If it doesn't work, well that's it. If I did it cheaper and it didn't work, then it's more shopping and more getting up the ladder :(

I retuned last evening and lost some of the HD channels on my Humax 1800T (BBC 4, News, Al Jazeera, RT Today etc). I returned on my Panasonic the night before and retained them. Some are showing reduced signal strength or reduced quality, alltho the big 5 are fine.

I get my reception from Crystal Palace with a good line of sight and have not had this problem before.

Given that I'm on Crytsal Palace and I have a loft aerial, and my general signal strength is good there's this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Group-...d=1521882528&sr=8-7&keywords=red+group+aerial

It looks a wee bit flimsy.
It's that what you've got? If it's what you are thinking of getting, then't don't! It's group A, which is not what you need. You need a group W (or T preferably). It's also quite expensive.
Any old cheap junk will probably do given where it is - doesn't matter if it's flimsy if it's inside.

Elsewhere, post #32, a group E and a diplexer was suggested for the same problem at Rowridge.

The amount of trouble some people have with aerials - I feel very fortunate. :cool:
We have two ancient roof aerials - one pointing to Waltham the other to Belmont - from the days of analogue. I guess one is a C/D (Waltham) and the other A. Water has managed to trickle down the cable before now, so the state of the installation is ropey. We get a perfect signal on all the multiplexes from Waltham (15 miles away) on the TV (no Humax attached to this one) even though most are outside the range of C/D aerial.
Then there is the flimsy loft aerial used for the Humax. It receives all Waltham multiplexes and can even be persuaded to pick up a couple of muxes from Belmont and Sutton Coldfield on a good day.:whistling:

Elsewhere, post #32, a group E and a diplexer was suggested for the same problem at Rowridge.
If you're in a weaker signal area then that makes sense, but he's in sight of CP with a loft aerial! A cheap wideband will be perfectly adequate.

I believe I may have solved my problem. The aerial had been aligned in the general direction of Crystal Palace (i.e. 'thataway'), which was fine until this recent change. I used an online tool to work out the direction more accurately and tweaked it, and while it may not be bang on beam, I'm getting 100% signal strength and quality on the TV for Com 78, and over 90% strength and 100% quality on my 1800T. The aerial itself had a joint halfway along it's stem so that the length of the array could be full size or halved as required. It is now back to half size in order to fit in the space it occupies, because it clearly doesn't need the length. It's hidden away behind a panel in the loft, which is work space.

If this should change, I may have to remount the bracket on the beam above my head and make it full size again.

Watch out out for further bulletins or tales of woe as the weekend progresses.

Back