forced retune

cdmackay

Did anyone else get a forced reset/retune this morning?

I've just had one, despite having both disable-dso and disable-ota pkgs installed for years, in addition to tunefix and tunefix-update.

No scheduled recordings, after that, of course, so I went to restore the most recent auto backup: this mornings 5am. Only claimed to restore one item, and after the mandatory restart, nothing in the schedule.

Restored yesterday's, and it did a mass of fix-ups for moved services, and it looks OK now.

No disturbance to CF or existing recordings, that I can see.

A friend had mentioned there was a big retune required here (Cambs & Beds) this week, so I wondered: is it just a coincidence, or has some event snuck past disable-dso?

Just started one of ours up, which has the same mix of those packages, and aside from the webif being dog-slow (not uncommon the last few months) it all looks normal.

A friend had mentioned there was a big retune required here (Cambs & Beds) this week
There wasn't.
The next change will be Mon. night/Tue. morning this week, but it's only a minor shuffle of COM muxes for 700 MHz clearance. There are no 'big retunes' due for Sandy Heath.

There wasn't.
The next change will be Mon. night/Tue. morning this week, but it's only a minor shuffle of COM muxes for 700 MHz clearance. There are no 'big retunes' due for Sandy Heath.

thanks, that makes sense; presumably that's simple enough to be handled with tunefix-update?

Are you sure it was a retune and not a random factory reset event?

Yes, you're probably right. It's just that I rarely get these: last one must have been more than a year ago, perhaps two, and given my friend's (alarmist) report of a big retune, I put two and two together and got 42, and wondered if something had triggered it.

OK, thanks all, likely a random event as you say.

Possibly coincidentally, Sandy Heath went off for me at 0010, whilst I was watching it, and is still off now.

Retune finds no channels.

I see someone else reporting the same in a transmitter page...

Possibly coincidentally, Sandy Heath went off for me at 0010, whilst I was watching it, and is still off now.
How do you expect them to change channels on the muxes. without turning things off?
Retune finds no channels.
Why did you do that? All you needed to do was let tunefix-update do its thing, reboot the box and go to bed. It would have been working when you switched on having got up (assuming you keep reasonably normal hours).

How am I supposed to know how they change channels on the muxes?

I didn't expect things to be off for 5+ hours, which is how long it took.

After all, tunefix-update is a useful way to avoid having to retune, but I don't mind retuning now and then, so thought I would see if that helped. Of course, when it didn't, and the hours went on, I ended up temporarily stuffed.

No, I don't keep normal hours; I mostly work until the early hours, and go to bed around 5am. Service wasn't restored until 0530, apparently :)

I thought that was fairly obvious, given that most of the discussion in this thread is about it.

I don't see anything in this thread about the entire transmitter needing to be intermittently on/off for 5 hours, for a "minor shuffle" of two muxes :)

Also annoying that the UK Digital page said nothing about planned engineering works, until after it was restored, and only a possibly "weak signal" this week. I would have naively expected a 5-hour outage, starting as early as midnight, to have been flagged up slightly more obviously than "you may need to retune". Perhaps that's just me :)

I don't see anything in this thread about the entire transmitter needing to be intermittently on/off for 5 hours, for a "minor shuffle" of two muxes
No, but the fact you knew they were moving should have been a big clue. It's a minor shuffle as far as the overall scheme of things is concerned, especially from the user point of view. It's not quite so minor if you're actually doing the work at a TX site, which is why it takes hours.
Blame Digital UK for poor comms. about the subject, not me!

I would have naively expected a 5-hour outage, starting as early as midnight, to have been flagged up slightly more obviously than "you may need to retune".
Put a note in your diary for Feb. 2020 then, which is when the next one will be (probably).

Who was blaming you? :) No, I appreciate the replies.

Yes, very poor comms on their part. I've been using digital TV since the earliest days of ONDigital, and I don't ever recall a planned multi-hour interruption starting that early, without any warning. If every minor retune requires that, I'm astonished that I've never noticed it before, especially given my late hours.

No, I don't consider warning of a minor shuffle retune as also implicitly warning of a multi-hour interruption to the whole service :)

Back