Format USB storage as Android Internal storage fault

bradavon

Hi,

I have a Humax Aura PVR.

I want to increase the internal 16GB storage available to Android apps. Frustratingly despite the Aura having 1TB storage that's not available to Android TV.

I bought a low profile 128GB USB3 stick from Amazon and on inserting it into the Aura's USB3 port, it's recognised as "Removable Storage". Which is what the Google page says below will occur if the "format is recognised". This mode is for accessing files between Android TV and a Computer. It doesn't increase the internal storage, "Internal Storage" increases the internal 16GB so Android apps believe there's more storage.

The Google page for this says:

- If Android TV can recognize the format: It sets the drive up as removable storage.
- If Android TV can't recognize the format: It asks you to format the drive as internal or removable storage.

Source: https://support.google.com/androidtv/answer/6299083?hl=en#zippy=,set-up-your-drive

So I put the usb stick in my computer and deleted the partition. Now because there's no formatted partition, when I insert the USB Stick into the Aura's USB3 port an Android notification appears saying the "format is corrupt and do you want to "fix it". Which just means it doesn't recognise the current formatted partition.

I'm only asked if I want to format it as "Device Storage". I find the wording Device Storage to be pertinent because that's what the actual 16GB (formatted as 8.2GB) internal storage is labelled as in Storage under Android Preferences.

The Google page instructions actually says though:

If Android TV can't recognize the format: It asks you to format the drive as internal or removable storage.

This isn't what occurs on the Aura, it just offers "Format as Device Storage".

I've done it a few times and each time it actually formats as Removable Storage. I've also tried with a 32GB USB Stick and the same occurs, removable storage :(.

You can see in Android Settings which it's formatted as. It lists the internal 16GB as "Device Storage" (8.4GB usable), so I believe it's supposed to be formatting the USB Stick as Device Storage not Removable Storage.

I know this is possible because a friend has a Humax A1 and this formatted a 64GB MicroSD card as Internal storage no issue. It's gone from 8GB to 72GB device storage (minus space used up by OS/Apps). During the process the Humax A1 asks if you want to move photos, videos and application data to the external storage. The Aura doesn't ask this.

I can't remember on my friend's Humax A1 if it asks if you want to format as Internal or Removable Storage. But actually, I think it does give you the choice on the Humax A1 but I would need to double check.

I think it's either a bug with the Humax Aura's android implementation or Humax have internationally removed the option to format USB storage as Internal Storage. Samsung Galaxy devices are known not to support this Android Internal Storage feature?

Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks.

I suspect you're barking up the wrong tree. I stand to be corrected, but so far as I can gather, the Humax A1 is an Android TV box, whereas the Aura is a PVR which happens to be running Android as its operating system. Not the same thing, so no amount of googling is going to help. The Aura Android has been customised by Humax for its own purposes, and will only offer the facilities Humax deem necessary.

The 16GB internal storage is flash memory, whereas the 1TB storage for recordings is a HDD. I doubt you can add to the internal storage in the way you might on, eg, a phone. USB storage will be available only as removable storage.

As BH says - it's not a TV or pretending to be (as the A1 seems it might be).

Slightly OT I saw an item the other day that said that apps for different systems are written in different code languages. Fairly expected is that IOS and Android are different, but apparently smart TVs use yet another language. That would explain why relatively few Android apps are available for smart TVs, compared to phones for example. (I also find a few apps that are available for my phone but not tablet, which makes me wonder if there's a 4th/5th/6th, ... language used :o_O: )

I suggest contacting Humax support.
Ask them to see if it's a bug or a feature they may support in the future. After all they supply the box and encourage the customer to load client apps for the viewing pleasure.
There's this on the source you link to
Note: The steps below may not work for all TVs that run Android TV.
Which suggests it's device dependant.

But is the Aura running Android TV? My contention is that it isn't.

Supposing it is, as you say, facilities available will be entirely dependent on how Humax have chosen to customise it – you only have to look at how different phones are, even different models of phone from the same manufacturer.

But is the Aura running Android TV? My contention is that it isn't.
I don't have either device, but I think the default is
Aura - Android TV 9.0
A1 - Android TV 11.0

Supposing it is, as you say, facilities available will be entirely dependent on how Humax have chosen to customise it – you only have to look at how different phones are, even different models of phone from the same manufacturer.
Yes, it'll depend on how they customise it. So why not ask them or show an interest in having the extra storage option? Maybe they'll consider adding it for a later release. If lots of customers ask for it, it may sway them or they may suggest a workaround.

Last edited:
I suspect you're barking up the wrong tree. I stand to be corrected, but so far as I can gather, the Humax A1 is an Android TV box, whereas the Aura is a PVR which happens to be running Android as its operating system. Not the same thing, so no amount of googling is going to help. The Aura Android has been customised by Humax for its own purposes, and will only offer the facilities Humax deem necessary.

The 16GB internal storage is flash memory, whereas the 1TB storage for recordings is a HDD. I doubt you can add to the internal storage in the way you might on, eg, a phone. USB storage will be available only as removable storage.
Hi,

Both run Android TV and formatting external storage as Internal Storage is a standard Android feaure. The Aura is both a Freeview PVR and Android TV.

I suspect you're still in effect correct though, like you say Humax have customised the Android on the device. We don't know if they intentionally removed this feature or it's by mistake.

I think it's still a bug eitherway because the wording presented says "Format as Device Storage", which is the wording used in Android Preferences -> Storage for the internal 16GB (8.4GB available) reserved for Android:

1704908399480.jpeg

But the Description that goes along with it, makes it clear, it's actually going to format as Removable Storage:

1704891341566.jpeg

On other Android TV devices, when the format of the device isn't recognised, you're given a choice of formatting as:
  • Removable Storage
  • Internal Storage
Choosing the later then explains the device can only be used in this device:

1704891488541.png

It's not clear why the Humax Aura gives different options to the standard Android TV options when you insert a USB device with a format it doesn't understand?

Last edited:
As BH says - it's not a TV or pretending to be (as the A1 seems it might be).
Both are Android TVs :).

We obvioiusly know Humax have customised the Android on the Aura though, obviously like many Android device makers do.

I suggest contacting Humax support.
Ask them to see if it's a bug or a feature they may support in the future. After all they supply the box and encourage the customer to load client apps for the viewing pleasure.
There's this on the source you link to
Which suggests it's device dependant.
Sorry I forgot to say I've contacted Humax Support too.

Oh thanks for that, totally missed that.

There's also these, which is a it rich as the Chromecast with Google TV devices only ship with 8GB storage:

I think it's still a bug eitherway because the wording presented says
I suspect it's more a limited customisation of Android TV. They've taken out the option to do that format but not gone deeper to change the text.

The reason for not allowing it is possibly because the hardware used makes it difficult to do. I know adding memory sounds like an easy thing but if it's not a good match with what's already installed, or the hardware simply hasn't the connections to physically do it, then it's not an option.

Last edited:
There's also these, which is a it rich as the Chromecast with Google TV devices only ship with 8GB storage:
It's always annoyed me that our (expensive) Sony TV seems very under-powered at times. I actually turned off the beeps confirming remote commands as they usually arrived so long (into seconds sometimes) after the press that you couldn't tell what it was for.
I've always assumed they cheaped out on the processor but I guess it might be memory.

On a phone, additional storage is microSD card tightly coupled to the processor. On the Aura, additional storage would be distanced from the processor via the USB interface. Perhaps what it needs is a microSD socket.

I suspect it's more a limited customisation of Android TV. They've taken out the option to do that format but not gone deeper to change the text.
I think you're right.

The reason for not allowing it is possibly because the hardware used makes it difficult to do. I know adding memory sounds like an easy thing but if it's not a good match with what's already installed, or the hardware simply hasn't the connections to physically do it, then it's not an option.
Who knows.

Their Humax A1 has it which is much less powerful and I'm pretty sure is just a rebadged off the shelf device from a random Asian manufacurer. Which could be why it's still present actually. There's nothing Humax about the A1 except the label on the box/remote.

Samsung have always removed it from their phones, as their reasoning is it add complication to the user. Which I find odd as the whole using increasing storage is technical to some degree by nature.

It's always annoyed me that our (expensive) Sony TV seems very under-powered at times. I actually turned off the beeps confirming remote commands as they usually arrived so long (into seconds sometimes) after the press that you couldn't tell what it was for.
I've always assumed they cheaped out on the processor but I guess it might be memory.
The Aura has 16GB Android storage and a few other Android TV devices do too. But most by far seem to ship with 8GB for Android TV, like you say no matter thr device price.

Chromebooks for years only has 32GB, way past where it was really suitable. I don't get the whole conversation because EMMC memory must be dirst cheap.

Thanks btw.

On a phone, additional storage is microSD card tightly coupled to the processor. On the Aura, additional storage would be distanced from the processor via the USB interface. Perhaps what it needs is a microSD socket.
From Google's perspective the feature works with Memory card or USB based storage, but you may well be right on why Humax seem to have removed this functionality :(.Thanks.

I considered using something else for my Android TV needs but that would add complexity when I can live with the low storage. I do like having my Freeview and Android TV needs in one device (except Netflix).

I have a Humax Aura PVR.

I want to increase the internal 16GB storage available to Android apps. Frustratingly despite the Aura having 1TB storage that's not available to Android TV.
Just as a matter of interest, why do want to increase the internal storage for Android apps?

I'm getting storage space messages :(.

Looks like others have complained online about low storage on Android TV and Google TV devices, although most of those are devices with 8GB storage it seems (so less available after Apps/OS).

Shame Humax didn't think to let you use some of the 1TB reserved for the Freeiew PVR in the Aura. I'll never fill that personally, although am aware that would likely be complex frrom a technical perspective.

I'm getting low disk space messages
This ^^^ and this vvv don't make sense to me.
the 1TB reserved for the Freeiew PVR in the Aura. I'll never fill that personally.
Maybe I've misunderstood something :confused:

Shame Humax didn't think to let you use some of the 1TB
Cost. They could probably have added lots of stuff but each one has a development cost and time. Getting it out the door, good enough, and at a target price point is the aim of the game.

I'm only getting low storage messages using the Android TV UI/Android Apps side. Not the Freeview PVR side :).

The Humax Aura is a bit of a frankenstein's monster. It's both a Freeview PVR with either 1TB or 2TB storage and an Android TV with fixed 16GB storage (5.7GB usable though!).

I don't know but suspect the former is a SSD storage and the later EMMC storage. EMMC being the type of storage used in USB Sticks. The two systems can't access each others storage, it's just the way Humax made it.

Android TV/Google TV's Internal Storage feature is how you increase Android storage. The Chromecast with Google TV supports this, provided you plug in a USB Hub into it's USB Port. The Humax A1 has this too and has MicroD, two USB A ports and one USB C ports built in.

Obviously we've established that Humax have removed the android Internal Storage feature from the Aura anyway.

I've contacted Humax Support but not expecting to end up with a fix.

Cost. They could probably have added lots of stuff but each one has a development cost and time. Getting it out the door, good enough, and at a target price point is the aim of the game.
Yesh true.

It still runs Android TV 9 and hasn't had an update since June 2021 is dodgy when it's stil a current product they sell. Android TV doesn't seem to be isn't like Android proper in this regard, each new version just seems to bring maintenance/security improvements. I maybe wrong on this.

I'm only getting low storage messages using the Android TV UI/Android Apps side. Not the Freeview PVR side :).
I see you've now changed the wording in your post. I'm not confused any more :p

The Humax Aura is a bit of a frankenstein's monster. It's both a Freeview PVR with either 1TB or 2TB storage and an Android TV with fixed 16GB storage (5.7GB usable though!).
So not like a desktop PC or Android mobile device*, for example, where you have massive 'disk' storage for your stuff and much less RAM for the system stuff ... ?
( * Don't know about Apple stuff)

Android TV doesn't seem to be isn't like Android proper in this regard, each new version just seems to bring maintenance/security improvements. I maybe wrong on this.
I think this is probably much like the huge numbers of commercial systems that still use Windows NT and similar vintage OSes. The hardware is built for that and trying to upgrade would be expensive and inconvenient. TVs, etc, are not as long lived but it's still an issue. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Phones are a different game as they are generally shorter lived (for now), exist in the latest fashion/latest tech line, and are much more exposed to bad actors. Hence a much faster update turnover.

Is there even enough apps that work on an Aura that are worth having to exceed that limited memory? If so what are they because I certainly have not seen them.

Back