Format USB storage as Android Internal storage fault

Is there even enough apps that work on an Aura that are worth having to exceed that limited memory? If so what are they because I certainly have not seen them.
We only use streaming/catch-up apps, and those are on the TV which is basically the same as the Aura. For anything else the remotes are such an awful interface (eg. for text input) I'll rather use a tablet and cast to the TV from there - which is a rare occasion TBH.

We only use streaming/catch-up apps, and those are on the TV which is basically the same as the Aura. For anything else the remotes are such an awful interface (eg. for text input) I'll rather use a tablet and cast to the TV from there - which is a rare occasion TBH.
Same here, the only app I have added is VLC and not even used that yet on my Aura.

It's a shame Humax weren't more helpful. I wonder is what is using up the space. The likely candidates can be
  • Lots of apps eg games, some taking a fair amount of space
  • Some apps using extra storage for temporary storage eg where does iPlayer store programs that you download and keep for a while before watching - if it uses the 16GB area, then a couple of HD recordings will take up a fair chunk of that space
You can probably check the used space on a app by app basis or use a file manager to help you find large files etc.

It's a shame Humax weren't more helpful. I wonder is what is using up the space. The likely candidates can be
  • Lots of apps eg games, some taking a fair amount of space
  • Some apps using extra storage for temporary storage eg where does iPlayer store programs that you download and keep for a while before watching - if it uses the 16GB area, then a couple of HD recordings will take up a fair chunk of that space
You can probably check the used space on a app by app basis or use a file manager to help you find large files etc.
Are all those things even possible on an Aura?

Is there even enough apps that work on an Aura that are worth having to exceed that limited memory? If so what are they because I certainly have not seen them.
I'm always surprised people make use of the 2-4 Freeview Tuners in PVRs tbh. There's not a lot on Freeview really. I tend to only need 1 tuner for recording and 1 for watching but but I've seen some people say they need 3-4. Which is fair enough. Same kind of thing I guess.

Are all those things even possible on an Aura?
It's also a regular Android TV device, you can check in Preferences -> Strorage and clear App Cache for any taking up a lot.

I often have three or four recordings going at one time and really appreciate its flexibility.

Also, I have several apps including a VPN and an app from the US App Store which I regularly use and I have not run out of space yet. Maybe some people are trying to add loads of apps or the apps store a lot of data.

I often have three or four recordings going at one time and really appreciate its flexibility.

Also, I have several apps including a VPN and an app from the US App Store which I regularly use and I have not run out of space yet. Maybe some people are trying to add loads of apps or the apps store a lot of data.
I am very interested to know which apps you have found to be useful please.

I'm always surprised people make use of the 2-4 Freeview Tuners in PVRs tbh. There's not a lot on Freeview really. I tend to only need 1 tuner for recording and 1 for watching but but I've seen some people say they need 3-4. Which is fair enough. Same kind of thing I guess.

It's also a regular Android TV device, you can check in Preferences -> Strorage and clear App Cache for any taking up a lot.
All those tuners work on an Aura which certainly cannot be said of the majority of android apps, some require casting from another android device and others not at all.

I am very interested to know which apps you have found to be useful please.
Apart from all the usual catch up apps, plus all that come preinstalled I have the following:

Plex, KODI, Downloader, SmartTube beta, Proton VPN, NBC, YouTube, VLC

Apart from all the usual catch up apps, plus all that come preinstalled I have the following:

Plex, KODI, Downloader, SmartTube beta, Proton VPN, NBC, YouTube, VLC
Thank you, a couple of those are of interest for sure.

We basically watch nothing live. The problem is the 9pm watershed which means a lot of what we want is on then, plus the 'buses' problem - there's nothing for a few days and then several on the same night.
The Aura is 'her' box and frequently has 3 recordings at or across the 9pm point (many are 8-10pm). (I should note that she records roughly 2-3x more than she actually gets to watch.)
We also have a Freesat 4k box, as our joint/my PVR, which can do four recordings and although it doesn't often get pushed there it has happened. Three simultaneous isn't uncommon.
One advantage is that (for the ones that are HD) we rarely have to resort to +1 channels which are usually SD.

Same here, the only app I have added is VLC and not even used that yet on my Aura.
Feels like you might be better off with a regular Freeview Play PVR. Less complexity but possibly less tuners I'm unsure.

Android Apps are the USP of the Aura for a Freeview PVR. Just a thought though :).

Pluto TV and Plex are good btw.

It's a shame Humax weren't more helpfu
I'm still hoping they'll reply to my email. Think it's said 3-5 days, but yeah they may not.

I think it's probably ultimately by design though as others have said.

They gave some really useful suggestions when I had an issue with HDMI CEC on that friend's Humax A1.

🤞

Thanks for the tips btw.

Feels like you might be better off with a regular Freeview Play PVR. Less complexity but possibly less tuners I'm unsure.

Android Apps are the USP of the Aura for a Freeview PVR. Just a thought though :).

Pluto TV and Plex are good btw.
Android Apps are only of worth if they are a benefit to you and with so many other android devices available eg TV and phone where those apps may prove better placed there seems little need to cram an Aura full of unneeded apps, quality over quantity. I also choose not to keep my toe nail clippings in a jar as it serves no valid purpose. Just a thought though :).

Trog was asking what are the good Android apps available for the Aura further up.
Cheers for the tips.I already have Pluto TV on my TV and laptop though I have only used it once for viewing one of the new Star Trek series a few years ago, not sure there are enough hours in the day to add Plex too but I will give it a look and see if it has any gems I can find time for, is it downloadable in any way or stream only and is a VPN needed to get all the US content or everything is available to all regions?

Last edited:
It took Humax Support a while to confirm what we already suspected:

I have just received an update that the option to format USB storage as Internal Storage, is not possible on the Humax Aura unit.

It's not clear why Humax removed this standard Android TV feature from the Aura in it's developpment though.

Back