Format USB storage as Android Internal storage fault

I can only think they may have had a problem with USBs. I've had problems formatting a micro SD card as internal storage for an Android tablet. It worked initially, but went wrong shortly after requiring a complete re initialisation - losing all apps and data. Maybe Humax did tests with USB and found the same

It sounds very flaky to me to allow an instantly removable external device to be incorporated into the internal live storage!

I don't see a problem with it in principle. It seems similar installing Custom Firmware on HD Fox T2 and adding USB device to it.

I don't see a problem with it in principle. It seems similar installing Custom Firmware on HD Fox T2 and adding USB device to it.
Really? That's for enthusiasts who are reasonably expected to know what they're doing and what the consequences will be if the USB device were to be removed, not the consumer market where the users are idiots and/or might have little fingers around.

It sounds very flaky to me to allow an instantly removable external device to be incorporated into the internal live storage!
I'd agree except for it being an Android feature developed by Google for years now. As as I know only Samsung and the Aura don't support it. The Humax A1 does.

Like a lot of the features, if you're not technical in nature you wouldn't be using it and it makes it clear you shouldn't remove it.

People are even doing this on the Google Chromecast with Google TV because it's only got 8GB storage. It's an official Google supported feature.

Last edited:
I can only think they may have had a problem with USBs. I've had problems formatting a micro SD card as internal storage for an Android tablet. It worked initially, but went wrong shortly after requiring a complete re initialisation - losing all apps and data. Maybe Humax did tests with USB and found the same
You're probably right to be honest. Maybe for the reason Black Hole has pointed out.

The Humax A1 I suspect is rebranded and wasn't developed by Humax. It runs stock Android TV 11. Humax may not even particularly know this works on that.

Again essential because it's only got 8GB but more like 2.5GB after the system and apps. The Aura is better in this regard as it has 16GB for Android TV.

Last edited:
Really? That's for enthusiasts who are reasonably expected to know what they're doing and what the consequences will be if the USB device were to be removed, not the consumer market where the users are idiots and/or might have little fingers around.
I don't see this as a major issue. It's not rocket science.
It's just connect a USB drive and don't disconnect it - otherwise it won't work properly.
It's a bit like the requirements for anyone wishing to use a PVR they'll need to supply power & switch PVR on, select correct source on TV input. Things that they'll need to manage otherwise they'll struggle to view recordings.

It's been an Android feature since Android 6.0 Marshmallow way back in 2015 and people have coped.

People are overthinking this 🤷

USB storage as internal? I think you mean microSD, which is a different prospect.
I would say so. On my phone and tablet removing the microSD by accident is impossible. I suspect the access time for a microSD is quicker than USB. (Only suspect, no proof.). Even so, my tablet didn't like microSD as internal storage.

USB storage as internal? I think you mean microSD, which is a different prospect.
No not what I meant :).

Android has always supported MicroSD since the very first version.

USB Storage as Internal storage is a different thing and was added with Android 6.0 Marshmallow. "USB Storage" being the umbrella term Google uses for what's really External Storage (USB or MicroSD).

It's the feaure this conversation is about and is now a standard Android TV feature, the Huma A1 has it but Humax removed it from the Humax Aura. I did ask why out of curiosity but they did't respond.

Back