Forum software upgraded!

The tool enables insertion of a URL to an image, for externally hosted images. For images inserted directly into a post, you can drag-n-drop or copy-n-paste - no need to deploy a tool.
I prefer to use a tool because drag and drop is hard if I'm on a touch screen, and other forums have different systems. Having an icon to click which then prompts me with a method is simpler/clearer for me as it's not something I do every day.

Having an icon to click which then prompts me with a method is simpler/clearer for me as it's not something I do every day.
I agree. Unfortunately my browser of choice* doesn't seem to support the code behind the kebabs - so that's those methods in the more difficult box for me. I can just about remember the BBCode for most of the "missing" items, and some of them appear on a mouse right-click menu if I select some text. Should I want to change the font-family (I don't!) I'd be up :poop: creek as I can't remember all the fonts!

* choice - a browser that doesn't replicate itself and hog my limited memory and works in an old version of Windows. No choice really!

As usual, in the quest to be the "latest and greatest", the software update has broken some things. Eg:

Copy&paste of a quote in WYSIWYG mode breaks the formatting (work-around: switch to BBCode mode)

I see at least one of my threads has been given the new property of an article. This has had the unwanted side-effect of displaying my forum profile under post 1, which was not written with that in mind. I now have to either re-write my profile, or there has to be a separate profile for that purpose.
The thread in question seems to have reverted to a normal discussion thread now (why did nobody say anything?).

What is the policy/background please? What can we expect as authors?

I'm having problems locating the information that tells us what is an article or a discussion thread. Where is this information?

It's a user option when creating a thread, selectable just under the title box. The available options depend on which forum section you are creating the thread in.

I think it's a one-shot though, I don't think it is editable after the event (except perhaps by an admin).

I have found what I regard as a significant defect in this version of Xenforo (and might have been present in previous versions):

If a line begins with a single space, opening a post for editing while in WYSIWYG mode removes it. If you don't notice this and replace it, and have a code section containing such a thing, it disappears.

Test:
Code:
This line is not indented
This line is indented with one space
  This line is indented with two spaces
   This line is indented with three spaces and contains three   spaces

The reason this is a significant defect is that code sections are meant to preserve formatting necessary for readability of listings.

This is a copy of the original code section, pasted in on edit (therefore preserving formatting):
Code:
   This line is indented with three spaces and contains three   spaces

This is the same text unprotected by code tags (which will be collapsed in presentation whether you like it or not), but the spaces are still there in the post data:

This line is indented with three spaces and contains three spaces

I have also been aware for a long time that opening a post for edit destroys fine-tuned paragraph spacing by removing blank lines in some circumstances (usually to do with the end of a list, I think). That's why I have marked the occasional carefully-presented post "do not open for editing in WYSIWYG mode".

Switching to BB-Code editing (click the brackets icon in the reply post editor) before opening the post for edit removes the problem, but if you switch back to WYSIWYG while editing, the problem recurs.

Perhaps this should be reported on the Xenforo users forum.

Update: I have also discovered a space disappearing after an italicised section, but the circumstances seem very specific and I have not been able to pin it down.

Last edited:
Is it just me? I often press Return or Enter on my phone, but the cursor stays where it is, at the end of a line.

Back